gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:16:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Pick Daybreak?  (Read 7470 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:27 AM »

As he couldn't be bothered writing a new song for TWGMTR (just joking Mike fans!) and instead decided to re-record one of his old First Love solo songs, I wonder what made Mike opt for 'Daybreak..'? It's not terrible, but neither is it particuarly good. He's far better tracks in the vaults; Viggie and Glow Crescent Glow for instance are both genuinely great songs. Has their been any insight on why he chose to re-record Daybreak in particular?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:02:11 AM »

It was re-recorded during the sessions for the Mike Love Not War solo album of 2005-ish, not for the new album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:03:29 AM »

It was re-recorded during the sessions for the Mike Love Not War solo album of 2005-ish, not for the new album.

All that was done for the new album was overdubbing the rest of the Boys.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »

Wow
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »

I believe the approved response is...

"Well, oh my, oh gosh, oh gee".  Grin

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 11:12:28 AM »

I would have prefered Wrinkles...  Grin Grin Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:57 AM »

That i did not know. So actually Mike genuinely couldn't be bothered then...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

I would have prefered Wrinkles...  Grin Grin Grin

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »

Regardless how many may feel about it, Brian seemed to have been really impressed with the tune.  The new "Old Friends together" video they put up last week, shows Brian really happy when he listened to "Daybreak" with Mike for the first time. 
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

I like the song.

I liked most of the stuff recorded for "Mike Love Not War" and was surprised when the album didn't get released.

It's too bad "Cool Head Warm Heart" got used on the Hallmark CD. It too could have made a nice addition to this album (or the next one). 

Same with "Walkin' Down The Path Of Life". Sounded neat in concert....ended up dying a cruel death, recorded with a shell of the band for a fund raising single. Deserved better. Could have been a nice segue somewhere. Guess it don't matter, BW has material to spare.

If I didn't know "Daybreak" was recorded for something else I would notice no difference between it and the other cuts on the album. They all sound like they belong together.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:36:54 AM »

Regardless how many may feel about it, Brian seemed to have been really impressed with the tune.  The new "Old Friends together" video they put up last week, shows Brian really happy when he listened to "Daybreak" with Mike for the first time. 

Looks like he was more impressed but the new chorus (well i guess that chorus was on the 2005 version, but not on the original one i mean) and i agree, it has to be one of my fav part of the album tbh.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

Looks like he was more impressed but the new chorus (well i guess that chorus was on the 2005 version, but not on the original one i mean) and i agree, it has to be one of my fav part of the album tbh.

The version recorded in 2005-ish is musically identical to the original 1978 version.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »

I think it's rather a low point on the new album - whatever is making those sounds during the opening section, horrible! Very unpleasant production. But i'm not just choosing to pick on Mike. As i said at the start of the post, he's got some really great songs in the vaults that he could've picked. Wish he'd chosen a stronger cut.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

Regardless how many may feel about it, Brian seemed to have been really impressed with the tune.  The new "Old Friends together" video they put up last week, shows Brian really happy when he listened to "Daybreak" with Mike for the first time.  

The version recorded in 2005-ish is musically identical to the original 1978 version.

I don't know man, i havn't heard it.

Anyway i was talking about the "Bring back my baby" chorus part, with all the harmonies/voices added.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:48:21 AM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:58 AM »

I don't think it's godawful but I do wish they had just re-recorded it under Brian's supervision.  With outside production, it sounds so awkwardly out of place.

But it could have been worse.  He could have chosen "Brian's Back" instead.  Shocked

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

While we're talking unreleased tracks, and while we've got AGD's attention: what are the chances of Rollin' Up To Heaven ever getting an official release? It really is such a fantastic track! Great riff, great singing - far superior to Ding Dang, of which it's clearly a distant relative. I know a lot of the surviving members like to empthasise the squeaky clean fun-in-the-sun image - is this likely to prevent the songs release?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 11:51:27 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Jason
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »

While we're talking unreleased tracks, and while we've got AGD's attention: what are the chances of Rollin' Up To Heaven ever getting an official release? It really is such a fantastic track! Great riff, great singing - far superior to Ding Dang, of which it's clearly an distant relative. I know a lot of the surviving members like to empthasise the squeaky clean fun-in-the-sun image - is this likely to prevent the songs release?

Considering that the song has rather liberal use of the term "big tits", I highly doubt it. I'm not AGD, but I'm sure that he'd say the same.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »

I think it's rather a low point on the new album - whatever is making those sounds during the opening section, horrible! Very unpleasant production. But i'm not just choosing to pick on Mike. As i said at the start of the post, he's got some really great songs in the vaults that he could've picked. Wish he'd chosen a stronger cut.

Brian picked it.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »

While we're talking unreleased tracks, and while we've got AGD's attention: what are the chances of Rollin' Up To Heaven ever getting an official release? It really is such a fantastic track! Great riff, great singing - far superior to Ding Dang, of which it's clearly an distant relative. I know a lot of the surviving members like to empthasise the squeaky clean fun-in-the-sun image - is this likely to prevent the songs release?

Considering that the song has rather liberal use of the term "big tits", I highly doubt it. I'm not AGD, but I'm sure that he'd say the same.

True, although if you didn't know that's what they were singing you probably wouldn't be able to tell... Nor that they were chanting 'F**k her'. What a song though... Pity it's lyrics are always going to overshadow it. To those who've yet to hear it, seek it out!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »

Brian picked it.

Interesting....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Brian picked it.

Ok, I wish Brian had picked a stronger cut.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »

"Daybreak Over The Ocean" is one of my favorite tracks on the album. It's a tad long, but I like Mike's vocal, the Kokomo-like production, and the excellent ending chorus/tag - one of the highlights of the album for me. Is that Adrian Baker on there? If "Daybreak" had a BW writing credit, the song would be viewed entirely different.

I'm a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that Capitol Records chose the tracks for the album. Of course, that was from an interview with somebody, so take that with a grain of salt.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

"Daybreak Over The Ocean" is one of my favorite tracks on the album. It's a tad long, but I like Mike's vocal, the Kokomo-like production, and the excellent ending chorus/tag - one of the highlights of the album for me. Is that Adrian Baker on there? If "Daybreak" had a BW writing credit, the song would be viewed entirely different.

I'm a little confused. I thought I read somewhere that Capitol Records chose the tracks for the album. Of course, that was from an interview with somebody, so take that with a grain of salt.

'If Daybreak had a BW credit it'd be viewed differently'. Not true for me. Spring Vacation, ...Bill & Sue, Shelter and Beaches In Mind all have Brian credits and i don't remotely rate those either. (The rest of the album however is pretty great).
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »

'If Daybreak had a BW credit it'd be viewed differently'. Not true for me. Spring Vacation, ...Bill & Sue, Shelter and Beaches In Mind all have Brian credits and i don't remotely rate those either. (The rest of the album however is pretty great).

Sounds to me like maybe you just don't like the album in general.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »

Kind of surprised Daybreak wasn't on Summer In Paradise, fits the theme he was going for on the album and it would have been one of the strongest cuts, especially with Carl on there.

I'm assuming it wasn't because Mike had it in his pocket for his "future solo release?"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx