gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:22:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Syncopation: A Movie Made Out of All The Other Beach Boys Movies  (Read 26334 times)
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »

No kidding. I live in S.F. so i'll most definitely be there. Endless Syncopation in person! What'a nite it'll be  LOL  Razz  LOL

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »

It's gonna be sumpthin', that's for sure. Mike Love puppet = quality night out.

In a strange turn of events, some members of Negativland (whose collage style inspired this from the get-go, and I even quote them in the first post!)  said they'd check it out too. I wonder if they'll demand back the ideas I ripped off from them about ripping things off on and on into an endless moebius loop of appropriation.

Hey! Speaking of Negativland and Moebius:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w46h6_WJDhU
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »

I would just like to state for the record that you are a genius, and I would really like to make it out to your SF production of this.

I only intended to give your intro an audition, but an hour later I was dismayed that I had run out of clips to watch after laughing myself silly. Truly something only a die hard BB freak could enjoy!

I just about fell over when I saw that you had included that John Cassavetes in LA clip. One of my very favorites; I'm so glad someone else here took the time to watch that excerpt.

Again, not really sure what I can say other than job well done, and I look forward to hopefully many more such clips!

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
oldsurferdude
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »

The Kokomo Syndrome-Pure Genius. The slow speed of the song drives home the point perfectly. Had to change my Depends-twice.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »

Golly, thanks! It's definitely an incredibly, incredibly small target audience, huh? At least those seven or eight people seem to be having a really good time!

Now, anybody find a good deal on stripey shirts?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:37 PM »

A proud moment just now, my first negative comment on this project on youtube that wants me murdered... that wasn't Mike Love! Yay:

"Terminalpictures should be terminated and let's get back to reality and keep things in perspective and stop screwing up the interviews and show them as they were meant to be seen!!"

Fair enough, but I figure the interviews are available elsewhere and untouched by my vile hands! It would be amusing if youtube commenters acted that way in day to day life, I'd love to be picking up some dry cleaning, say, and be told I should be terminated over what I do on weekends for fun.

Strangely, the worst reaction I ever had was over this dopey "The Three Tenors Sing Super Mario Bros." sketch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMIX62rJYo

Just a dumb thing improvised amidst a bunch of other things one afternoon. Suddenly I'm getting a daily stream of death threats and abuse from apparently, horribly violated videogame fans and Placido Domingo freaks. I think it's the only video I ever disabled commenting on since I was sick of hearing daily reminders about it.

Moral: Don't f*** with the formula! Keep things in perspective! Fight for success!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:44:46 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQNF7Z2Uig
I'm Brian Wilson (Did Someone Say John Stamos?)
This one's really good.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

Yes, Ontor, and for f*ck's sake don't forget to SURGE!!!!

You are definitely the Alfred Jarry of the Beach Boys para-miltiary/aesthetic complex!!!!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »

Hot damn, that's a good one!

Weirdly enough, I've shot a 16mm feature of Jarry's Ubu Roi that's sitting in a lab in Pennsylvania. Maybe I'll be able to pay the bill one day! Sob.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1599565792903.79576.1348783559&type=3
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:05:30 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

When people ask me questions like that, generally I look furtive, prepare to flee, and go... "what, why?"

I didn't kill your brother that one time, did I?

The username is from a piece of junk mail that presumably got my name horribly, horribly wrong.

Your attitude reminds me of Bill Murray in 'Coffee and Cigarettes'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

The death of Murry: ERGHH AGHHH!    ERGHHHHHH  AHHHH AHHH AHHHMurry? AUDREE! ERGH. Audree MURRY? ERGH AGHH.AUDREE.! AGH ERGH AUDREE !OOH ERGH! AUDREE! ERGH! Breakway from my lonely life ERGH! what can I do? ,BREAKAWAY from my lonely life what can I do AUDREE! w h attt cannnnnn IIIIII doooooo? MURRY! what can I do! whhhhatt can I dooooooooo
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 08:32:21 AM »

I narrowly avoided a coffee spit-take all over the monitor while reading that.

MURRY!?!?!?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 06:36:02 AM »

http://youtu.be/VxYqRKQF4H4

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
halblaineisgood
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 06:21:13 AM »

The Kokomo Syndrome-Pure Genius. The slow speed of the song drives home the point perfectly. Had to change my Depends-twice.
It's the Endless Syncopation I most frequently find myself watching again, and again. It reveals something new each time. I gotta
plead ignorance though, where does the Bruce "everybody knows you reap what you sow" clip come from?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 08:21:08 AM »

Seventeen layers of meaning embedded for safety reasons!

It's from the "Summer in Paradise" video, with comments helpfully pointing out that Bruce's verse is from the European version. I guess you'll have to go buy that on ebay, now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50U_07i5z0Y

Warning. Consider this a warning. Warning.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:25:00 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »

It's from the "Summer in Paradise" video, with comments helpfully pointing out that Bruce's verse is from the European version. I guess you'll have to go buy that on ebay, now.

bruce's verse really comes out of nowhere LOL

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 09:04:19 AM »

I've been watching these all morning.  Amazing. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:47 AM »

I watched the first 17 in one sitting. I ended up with a hang over.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

You poor, poor man.

I've been working up what's going to happen which is almost all new, unseen/unheard stuff and enslaving other musicians! Should have some trombone & brass action now on a few things... "Don't Back Down" is sounding rather fun and I can't stop playing it. Ditto "The Monkey's Uncle" - and there's a splitscreen "I Know There's An Answer."

BZZZZT - CLICK - HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSs - (Radio station changes)

- ...was wearing. Endless Syncopation is brought to you by A BELLY FULL OF ANGER now actually f***in' finished and available! Brother, can you spare 3 bucks? Get your Bob Odenkirk on, marvel at my ability to persuade former MST3K cast members to dub Super-8 footage, bask in the stopmotion pears and exploding apple-based kung fu surrealism of... A BELLY FULL OF ANGER.

http://www.amazon.com/Translated-English-Edition-Odenkirk-Beaulieu/dp/B008QTUX40/

Now back to your message board.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:43:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »

Appropriately dubbed "Summer In Hell" on the youtube site. Myke Luhv's pathetic vision of what the Beach Boys should be about. Total vomit inducing sacrilege and painful tainting of a once great band. Shocked
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:59:29 AM »

Appropriately dubbed "Summer In Hell" on the youtube site. Myke Luhv's pathetic vision of what the Beach Boys should be about. Total vomit inducing sacrilege and painful tainting of a once great band. Shocked
It looks like the BBs are Mike's solo group in the video.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
halblaineisgood
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 05:43:46 AM »

But, that was the sound we craved...
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »

AH sh*t i'm pretty close to sf so i'll probably try to go there. on november 10th. pay day.

No mas, por favor.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:29 AM »

I wonder if a video summary of the parties in the 70s with Brian Wilson, John Lennon, Alice Cooper, Micky Dolenz, Kieth Moon, etc is called for. Smiley

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

Ha! Recreated with puppets.

I just had a quick Houston detour premiering a feature length version of my weird 1920s collage serial, "Silent Shadow of The Bat-Man" with the incredible 8 piece Two Star Symphony which did a gorgeous job doing a live score. I can't believe I had to babble in front of a thousand people! Check out http://www.freepresshouston.com/film/two-star-symphony-perform-shadow-of-the-bat-man-this-friday-evening-at-discovery-green/  and a radio interview at http://thefrontrow.org/mobile/1350473367 if interested! These guys are tremendous musicians and really do interesting, creative work. It was a total blast and we're plotting more madness for next year.

Back to the Beach Boys and just a few weeks till showtime!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:04:13 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx