gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:37:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adrian Baker ?  (Read 23862 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »

So for everyone who has the desire to hear Adrian Baker with the Beach Boys in the early 90s, either go to youtube and look for "beach boys japan" or click here for "Surfer girl" and "Don't worry baby":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4o6OT2FNQ

So much was wrng then..... Roll Eyes

Oh god, everyone is sounding off at that show.

SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »

I though Jeff sounded really great on ¨DWB¨when I heard him in Atlanta. His singing fit the song and was very beautiful.  I mean I don´t think to sing falsetto you have to ¨sound like¨Brian. I think as long as you get the feel and pitch right that´s all that matters. If you compare the 2012 version so a 1964 live version of course it´s different vocally but I don´t fault Jeff. I´m looking forward to hearing him sing it again in Barcelona.

This was a nice combination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5I2164jnQk

Jeff sounds fantastic on this!

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2012, 06:15:54 AM »

My knowledge of the matter is minimal. But, from watching clips alone, I can't see what's so bad about the dude singing
DWB. It's no Foskett at the Kingdome 83, but it aint terrible either. Maybe it's his vocal improvisations near
the end, that it make it so objectionable. I could see that...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 06:17:03 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21:46 AM »

My knowledge of the matter is minimal. But, from watching clips alone, I can't see what's so bad about the dude singing
DWB. It's no Foskett at the Kingdome 83, but it aint terrible either. Maybe it's his vocal improvisations near

It sounds like a cat being swung around the room by it's testicles

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2012, 06:38:04 AM »

Main things are the fact that he is off-key pretty much all the time, that he doesn't stay on one note at a time but wavers between several, that he's singing through his nose, and that he mangles his vowels horribly (because he's British but trying to sing in an American accent).

It just... sounds horrible. I literally think that *anyone* could sing that song better. I certainly can, and my wife tries to ban me from singing around the house because my singing voice is so unpleasant...

On a separate note, I don't think Baker is 'hated' around here. I certainly don't hate him, and I'm one of his more vociferous critics on this board. I think he was utterly unsuited for the job he was doing, but that's the responsibility of the band for repeatedly hiring him. I've never heard anyone say anything particularly bad about him as a person.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »

dang it, i'm in a library, people are trying to study. don't make me laugh like that again.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »

dang it, i'm in a library, people are trying to study. don't make me laugh like that again.
In a library? You should be studying, then. Instead of lurking about on a message board.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:36:41 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »

I am, as always, happy to oblige  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »

To give the guy his props, he really does sound like Frankie Valli.  But, I agree he was totally inappropriate on the Brian/Carl parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Dc5ldEISY

now that's not too bad. Very like Frankie Valli. The production is naff, but he can certainly cover the Four Seasons songs. But keep his criminal hands off the Beach Boys material.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »

Whenever I have a bad day I watch that notorious video of Adrian Baker singing Don't Worry Baby (in 2002 I think). That or Brian's 1981 Don't Worry Baby.
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »

Too bad they can't find a singer who sounds like Brian (once did). It's not Foskett.

It's one thing to hit the notes. It's another to have 'the whine'.

I don't know if anyone before or since has had a falsetto to match the one Brian had. I think it's pretty much a one of a kind thing.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
zachrwolfe
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:12:29 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:57 PM »

Too bad they can't find a singer who sounds like Brian (once did). It's not Foskett.

I don't know if anyone before or since has had a falsetto to match the one Brian had. I think it's pretty much a one of a kind thing.

I think Smiley Smile's own dmcguire gets much closer than anyone who's ever been officially involved with BW or The BBs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRszslafbCI

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
zachrwolfe
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:12:22 PM by zatch » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:09 PM »

I think Smiley Smile's own dmcguire gets much closer than anyone who's ever been officially involved with BW or The BBs...

Wow, that is very close and very very pretty.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2013, 01:53:23 AM »

thank you for reposting that, hadn't heard it before. That is some excellent vocal quality. Worthy of being in the blend during their heyday I dare say. Hopefully he will provide us with more such covers!

edit: goodness it's like having the vocal multitracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLfsijmwacE

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:55:46 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Jurrasic Mark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2013, 03:39:25 AM »

I don't think Adrian particularly enjoyed his time in the Beach Boys.

I was on the Beach Boys tour bus in Paris with him, David Marks, Bruce, Mike etc... They were handing out the tour itineracy for their next string of dates, i'll say that he was most unpleased about having to do so many shows. But an all round nice guy! Though I have heard some strange stories..............
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:18 AM »

thank you for reposting that, hadn't heard it before. That is some excellent vocal quality. Worthy of being in the blend during their heyday I dare say. Hopefully he will provide us with more such covers!

edit: goodness it's like having the vocal multitracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLfsijmwacE

No kidding. I'd pay to hear versions of "Sherry She Needs Me", "Guess I'm Dumb" etc. with him tackling the leads just so I can have those few moments of "what if".

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2013, 08:37:15 AM »

Wow, that's amazing... He really sounds a whole lot like the real thing...
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »

Hey all,
I'll put in my two cents here. Falsetto is damn hard to sing in a live setting with a full band--period.  Unless you're in a great venue with a great sounding stage , etc it's gonna be "live" & you, the performer, do the best you can with what you're able to do on that given show.  A loud house mix & crappy concrete box of a stage can make for a rough gig. There are shows I've performed where I can't find the pitch & I have to completely change my monitor mix, in mid show, until I find the sweet spot. Then there are venues that are so well put together & streamlined that performing live & singing is incredibly fun & it sounds fantastic. Comparing anyone to Brian's leads, which were done by the writer of the music, in a controlled environment & double tracked, is a non issue. No one, even Brian, will sound like those recordings (obviously) because a live show is a different beast in every way. Try to take it easy on the guys that are already filling HUGE shoes. I appreciate that you all are passionate about the music & you want it to sound a certain way but, as Carl was fond of saying, "it is what it is".
Nicko1234
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »

Hey all,
I'll put in my two cents here. Falsetto is damn hard to sing in a live setting with a full band--period.  Unless you're in a great venue with a great sounding stage , etc it's gonna be "live" & you, the performer, do the best you can with what you're able to do on that given show.  A loud house mix & crappy concrete box of a stage can make for a rough gig. There are shows I've performed where I can't find the pitch & I have to completely change my monitor mix, in mid show, until I find the sweet spot. Then there are venues that are so well put together & streamlined that performing live & singing is incredibly fun & it sounds fantastic. Comparing anyone to Brian's leads, which were done by the writer of the music, in a controlled environment & double tracked, is a non issue. No one, even Brian, will sound like those recordings (obviously) because a live show is a different beast in every way. Try to take it easy on the guys that are already filling HUGE shoes. I appreciate that you all are passionate about the music & you want it to sound a certain way but, as Carl was fond of saying, "it is what it is".

Thanks for that interesting post Matt. Very noble of you to defend one of your fellow falsettoists.  Grin

For what it's worth, you did a great job with the high parts live and fitted in with the blend better than any of the other pretenders to Brian's throne imo.
Nicko1234
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

One of the highlights of Baker's career was perhaps his recording of a certain song being used in a Bond movie. The fact that it was one of the worst moments in the franchise's history shouldn't detract from that.  Smiley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »

Since when did Matt Jardine post here? You do great work, kid ^_^ glad to see you around these parts.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:34 PM »

Matt, first of all it's very good of you to defend Baker like that.
But I don't think any of us (or most of us) are under any illusions as to how hard those parts are to sing. or the differences between live and studio. There's still, though, a huge difference between someone who's competent but just having an off-day, and someone who's plain incompetent.
I can well believe that you have days or shows when you find it hard to stay on pitch, but on all the recordings I've heard (I've not had the chance to see you live) you've sounded at worst OK and at best as good as any singer I've heard. The other falsettists who've worked with the various bands -- Jeff Foskett, Randell Kirsch and Scott Totten -- all also do very good jobs. Yes, they sometimes miss notes or whatever -- but no more than any other professional singer (and less than many).

On the other hand I've seen Baker live a few times and heard many recordings of him, both live and studio work, and I can think of *one* example where he actually sounded good -- his "wah wah" section on a cover version of Little GTO he did with Mike Love in the late 90s.

Now it's entirely possible I've just been extraordinarily unlucky in the shows I've seen and the recordings I've heard, but I can honestly say, without exaggeration, that *I* can sing those parts better than Baker did (and whenever I've played in bands I've always been banned from singing backing vocals, even in my own range, let alone in falsetto).

I'm sure he's a wonderful person, and I know that the job of falsetto singer for the Beach Boys is an extraordinarily difficult one, but that's why he should never have been given it. He simply wasn't up to the task. An off-day or a few flat notes is one thing, an off-decade and a flat career entirely another...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Matt J
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »

I'm actually just stating the facts as I know them, not necessarily defending any one person. I've seen some less than flattering comments not only about Adrian, but Foskett & myself as well.  As a lead & backing vocalist for the band for roughly 8 years, I definately have witnessed some painful performances by others & have taken part in painful performances myself. Just a fact of life onstage. I will say that the BB bands going out nowadays benefit greatly from state-of-the-art in-ear monitors, which definately help the vocalists to not have to over-sing (over loud wedges, guitar amps, drums, etc). There's no reason for anyone to sound bad with that kind of onstage control. Pretty cool.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx