gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:48:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 570725 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2475 on: October 22, 2012, 09:20:29 AM »

Now how to explain to my wife that I own Pet Sounds 12 times…

This. We need some kind of help group for this very issue. Nathan and I can't be the only ones who have to justify this kind of behaviour, especially when times are hard.  Any therapists/counsellors among our throng?

Step One:  I open her closet door and show her the vast collection of bags and shoes.  Cloth bags, vinyl bags, leather, felt, shiney, dull, colorful, compact, large bags, totes, purses, baskets, cases, on and on and on.  High heels, shoes, sneakers, slip ons, boots, flats, etc, etc, etc.  Women love bags.  Women love shoes.  Can't get enough of them.  Women buy bags to put things in bags in and those objects within that bags are in nice compact cases.  I'm fine with it and we're both happy. 

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: October 22, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »

Now how to explain to my wife that I own Pet Sounds 12 times…

This. We need some kind of help group for this very issue. Nathan and I can't be the only ones who have to justify this kind of behaviour, especially when times are hard.  Any therapists/counsellors among our throng?

Step One:  I open her closet door and show her the vast collection of bags and shoes.  Cloth bags, vinyl bags, leather, felt, shiney, dull, colorful, compact, large bags, totes, purses, baskets, cases, on and on and on.  High heels, shoes, sneakers, slip ons, boots, flats, etc, etc, etc.  Women love bags.  Women love shoes.  Can't get enough of them.  Women buy bags to put things in bags in and those objects within that bags are in nice compact cases.  I'm fine with it and we're both happy. 

DAMNIT HYPEHAT, YOU GOT THE 100TH PAGE'S FIRST POST AND ALL YOU SAID IS "....."  *sniffle* you don't know how badly I wanted it. Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: October 22, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

Haha, oh god I'm sorry.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: October 22, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

I'm just happy to be here

wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: October 27, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »

We've had the first 12 batch and hopefully more to come and like me hope a second lot includes Wild Honey.
  I don't think anyone has mentioned Surfin' Safari wouldn't that be a good one to have ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:55:08 PM by wavedancer » Logged
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »

We've had the first 12 batch and hopefully more to come and like me hope a second lot includes Wild Honey.
  I don't think anyone has mentioned Surfin' Surfari, wouldn't that be a good one to have ?

No.

It's already available in mono and the stereo wouldn't be worth listening to.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2481 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:46 PM »

says you! stereo stereo stereo! yeah!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: October 27, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »

says you! stereo stereo stereo! yeah!

YOU UNCULTURED OAF

ALSO, WHERE'S MY F*CKING BASS TRACK

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2483 on: October 27, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »

OH I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU WERE GONNA RERECORD IT!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2484 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

Finally got Smiley Smile, Today and Summer days today. Stereo mixes sound good to my apparently tin ear; don't mind the swaths of reverb, as it makes it sound more 'Spector'-y' I think; but the treble is too high, as others have said. Help Me Ronda is almost unbearable, that tambourine feels like someone hammering a nail into my brain. But I've ordered three more and I'll get them all. I can turn the treble down....but why is it turned up so high?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »

Just gettingn the chance to get back into the remasters.

Currently playing Shutdown Vol II and the stereo mix is blowing me away. While the packaging of these discs leaves something be desired, the mixes are incredible. Really brings out the studio's contribution to the sound Wilson was realising.

Incredible work, Mark, many many thanks!

“We live in divisive times.”
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: November 21, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »

Finally got Smiley Smile, Today and Summer days today. Stereo mixes sound good to my apparently tin ear; don't mind the swaths of reverb, as it makes it sound more 'Spector'-y' I think; but the treble is too high, as others have said. Help Me Ronda is almost unbearable, that tambourine feels like someone hammering a nail into my brain. But I've ordered three more and I'll get them all. I can turn the treble down....but why is it turned up so high?

It's a tribute to Murry Wilson.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2487 on: November 21, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

Y'all mo'fos are crazy, treble is amazing

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2488 on: November 22, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »

Just gettingn the chance to get back into the remasters.

Currently playing Shutdown Vol II and the stereo mix is blowing me away. While the packaging of these discs leaves something be desired, the mixes are incredible. Really brings out the studio's contribution to the sound Wilson was realising.

Incredible work, Mark, many many thanks!

Er... isn't that the Chuck Britz stereo mixes on there, and not new Mark Linett ones? Or are you referring to the mastering?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: November 23, 2012, 01:54:31 AM »

Y'know, I ain't sure which it's down to… it's the clarity, the way the sound ricochets between the speakers… wonderful!

“We live in divisive times.”
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2490 on: November 23, 2012, 04:32:44 AM »

They are the same mixes on shut down, I guess it's the mastering that's better. My previous criticism of the treble...it's actually not that bad. I'm so glad those earlier albums are out on mono. Smiley
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 23, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »

I keep reading over and over and over about how "bright" the remasters are, and although there are a few tracks that do sound just a little trebly to me, I'm not hearing it across the board.  For the most part they sound just fine on all of my systems (home, car, and studio) and the few tracks that sound just a tad shrill (stereo California Girls is one, surprisingly), I just knock the treble control down a bit, and it's ok.

My guess is that a number of people are so used to hearing the old no-noised twofers, maybe these seem a little extreme.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:58 AM »

The old twofers were too bassy, especially 20/20. I'm happy they added treble (which is just called, NOT no-noising)

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 23, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

The old twofers were too bassy, especially 20/20. I'm happy they added treble (which is just called, NOT no-noising)

Like ^
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »

I still just stick to the original UK LPs  Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 23, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

The master tapes are also bassy, so the bass is true to the masters (check out the Pastmasters CD of 20/20, straight transfer from the master, no EQ).
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 24, 2012, 06:26:23 PM »

I just bought the remaster of Summer Days and overall I definitely like the results. The exception is California Girls. The mono remaster sounds OK, but the stereo remaster sounds a bit sterile. The un-remastered mono sounds nice and warm in the intro, but something funny happened during the remastering process. It sounds like they moved the brass instruments from a living room into the bathroom. Don't really like that.

The other songs sound great, though.
PhilCohen
« Reply #2497 on: November 28, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Here's my update on my experiences with the 2012 remasters. I bought the Japan editions of "Today", "Smiley Smile" & "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!". Later I bought the U.S.A. discs of "Little Deuce Coupe","Surfin' U.S.A.", "Surfer Girl", "Shut Down Vol.2", "All Summer Long" & "Party", then did unofficial downloads of the U.S.A. editions of "Smiley Smile", "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!", plus "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up". As for the two early 1970's albums, they ARE audible improvements over the old "Sunflower"/"Surf's Up" twofer(which I've got). The U.S.A. "Summer Days....and Summer Nights!" corrects the digital drop-outs that marred the stereo "You're So Good To Me" on the Japanese disc. I understand that four songs have been re-remixed for the U.S.A. "Smiley Smile". Maybe if I listen very closely through headphones, I'll detect the differences. Which songs were re-remixed for the U.S.A. "Smiley Smile", and what are the differences versus the mixes on the Japan CD?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:48:27 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »

Which songs were re-remixed for the U.S.A. "Smiley Smile", and what are the differences versus the mixes on the Japan CD?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14549.0.html

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
wavedancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:00 AM »

I now have all the 2012 remasters except Sunflower and Surfs Up. I bought them mainly for the mono.
 I would buy the 2 70's albums if I thought there was a significant difference in the new remastering.
 Has anyone got these, I would appreciate your comments.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx