gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:13:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566697 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: October 14, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »

I thought this would be the thing but it looks kinda cheap (talking for the packaging and all) and not everyone seems to agree on the quality of the remaster/stereo stuff, plus there's not all the albums.. well for now, i hope they'll put out the rest, if not i might end up sticking with the two-fers, as i said it bothers me that each album isn't represented in a unique packaging, or at least on its own cd, but it's a good deal and there's some bonus and what appears to be an actual booklet with some quotes and all... so yeah :/
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: October 14, 2012, 04:04:09 AM »

On the pacjkaging issue, I wonder if we'd been more patient and not clamoured for the releases, Capitol might have not rushed the job through simply wrapped up like the Japanese issues. Who knows what their plans would have been for these remixes if we'd not barked "unfair" when it appeared the Japanese were getting them and we weren't?

We might never know…

If we only got them because of the success of the Japanese releases then other wise we wouldn't have gotten them at all I imagine.

Sales and response would have made the parent company notice (again if this is the case) but internet talkback wouldn't have made it a 'rush job' in the west as well. 

I can't imagine there was any 'plan' for the catalogue that got dropped to rush out what EMI Japan had done, doesn't make sense.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: October 14, 2012, 04:19:32 AM »

(y'know, the mud is where the magic is, along with the hiss)

That's a nice sex lesson there, mr Real Beach Boy Sir - it should be framed and hung on bedroom walls everywhere.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:08 AM »

That's a nice sex lesson there, mr Real Beach Boy Sir - it should be framed and hung on bedroom walls everywhere.

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
TopCat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:22 AM »

Popped into a branch of HMV to look at these new discs. Amazed to see that TWGMTR is in their CD sale display for only £3.
Buy it now folks!

The new discs are £10, so I'm going to have to wait on these. Patience. Patience.
Jason
« Reply #2355 on: October 14, 2012, 08:51:49 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 14, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »

On the first count, I don't think it would be corrected as it would require remixing the track.

Second count...YES! But Mark Linett was saying that the vocal tape situation for the Wild Honey album is rather unflattering with regards to stereo remixes.

Tbh, if the backing tracks are all stereo, they can just as well release the backing tracks with the mono vocals on top. I mean, Good To My Baby is more or less just that. So is All Summer Long (song) and a whole lotta others. I fail to see the prob witth just releasing what is possible to release. I don't think there will be a prob, we should see a release soon hopefully!

I don't think you quite understand how this works. The separate vocals don't exist, in mono or otherwise, for the Wild Honey songs in question.

They can be extracted from the official mono mix and placed onto the stereo backing track, but that is technically not true stereo and it won't sound as good either.

Exactly.  They've been hitting the extraction mixes very hard, so I don't see what the problem is.  Other than extraction mixes sound bad, but that hasn't stopped them so far.

It's only been one or two songs an album they're doing extraction mixes for, right? Not most of it, which would be the case for Wild Honey.

uh.....in what universe does 4 out of 11 constitute most?  LOL
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »

in the town where I live in colorado,I can't find them anywhere!!! Other then the greatsest hits and the 50 big ones,Target,Walmart, and Best buy Don't have the rest and those are the only places in town where I can buy cds.. Angry I may have to get on the bus to the other local town which is about 20 miles in order to find them and in that town there's ONLY a target and a barnes and noble so I would have to call ahead of time to make sure they have any so I don't waste a trip up there.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 14, 2012, 10:10:05 AM »

Popped into a branch of HMV to look at these new discs. Amazed to see that TWGMTR is in their CD sale display for only £3.
Buy it now folks!

The new discs are £10, so I'm going to have to wait on these. Patience. Patience.

I only have the LP, if I could get the CD that cheap here in Norway, I'd buy it in a flash.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 14, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »

does anyone else use Rhapsody?  (not just the website but the full software and subscription). All the remasters were on the rhapsody server , ready for play and for Rhapsody on the go, all week long , and now they are gone?  I have them on my sandisk, but I fear something  has happened to un-licence them?

any help?
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 14, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

I don't find the packaging particularly cheap at all.  They've got the front cover, the back cover, some photos, and the track-listing on the back of the CD case, as well as the accurate representation of the original label on the disk.  The only difference between these and the "glorious" Beatles stereo remasters is another flap with a few more pictures. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 14, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »

I think the cover's could be better. For example the Today! cover, It looks horribly copied. There is a beautiful version here made by a guy in photoshop: http://www.albumartexchange.com/covers.php?id=159287&q=beach+boys+today%21

If you compare them side-by-side you can tell a vast difference.

I don't hate it, I'm just nitpicking.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 14, 2012, 06:21:13 PM »

I noticed the letters etc. on some albums seemed to suffer from it merely being a scan, too. The song titles on All Summer Long and especially the notes from the band on the inside are pretty iffy looking. The stuff on albumartexchange shows the proper way to do it if you have to use scans - scan, and then clean up and modify to hades until it looks flawless and close to what the pre-LP source looked like.

While I don't mind sparse packaging, if they were gonna keep things so simple, I'd much rather they went for accuracy to the original versions. Granted I'm not especially familiar with the originals, but somehow I doubt a photo from 1976 appears on the original 1971 LP pressings of Surf's Up. Not difficult at all to reproduce an LP packaging into CD packaging.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2363 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:27 PM »

On the pacjkaging issue, I wonder if we'd been more patient and not clamoured for the releases, Capitol might have not rushed the job through simply wrapped up like the Japanese issues. Who knows what their plans would have been for these remixes if we'd not barked "unfair" when it appeared the Japanese were getting them and we weren't?

We might never know…

If we only got them because of the success of the Japanese releases then other wise we wouldn't have gotten them at all I imagine.

Sales and response would have made the parent company notice (again if this is the case) but internet talkback wouldn't have made it a 'rush job' in the west as well.  

I can't imagine there was any 'plan' for the catalogue that got dropped to rush out what EMI Japan had done, doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I doubt our whining on this message board had anything to do with it.  I figured these were the "commemorative releases" Capitol was promising from the beginning.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:33:52 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 14, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »

Does anybody else hate what they did to Cotton Fields on 50 Big Ones?  Instead of starting with Al's distant echoed voice gradually getting clearer, it starts out clear right away.  I don't know, I always thought that effect was pretty cool.  Otherwise, it sounds pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 06:47:36 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »

Does anybody else hate what they did to Cotton Fields on 50 Big Ones?  Instead of starting with Al's distant echoed voice gradually getting clearer, it starts out clear right away.  I don't know, I always thought that effect was pretty cool.  Otherwise, it sounds pretty awesome.
Because it's the single version.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »

We might never know…

Yeah, I doubt our whining on this message board had anything to do with it.  I figured these were the "commemorative releases" Capitol was promising from the beginning.  

That is incorrect. As AGD stated, Capitol changed their plans after hearing about fan response.

"Small factual gobbet: the mono/stereo remasters were exclusively Capitol Japan's idea, but when the parent company noted the huge interest, they decided to release them elsewhere. Now, don't say I never tell you anything."

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13631.msg316041.html#msg316041
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 14, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »

Because it's the single version.

The original 45 starts out distant too - the stereo remix from hawthorne (and here) ignores that

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: October 15, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Sorry if this was mentioned previously, but I'm not about to wade through 95 pages of this thread to find the answer.. But can anyone say why "Breakaway" was left off of 50 Big Ones? It certainly makes more sense to add it then "You're So Good To Me", relative merits of that song aside.  Huh

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 15, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »

50 Big Ones was based on the average setlist they played at the Reunion Celebration gigs, so no Breakaway.

Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2370 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »

50 Big Ones was based on the average setlist they played at the Reunion Celebration gigs, so no Breakaway.

Thanks. Wish they had included it regardless.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: October 15, 2012, 02:12:02 AM »

We might never know…

Yeah, I doubt our whining on this message board had anything to do with it.  I figured these were the "commemorative releases" Capitol was promising from the beginning. 

That is incorrect. As AGD stated, Capitol changed their plans after hearing about fan response.

"Small factual gobbet: the mono/stereo remasters were exclusively Capitol Japan's idea, but when the parent company noted the huge interest, they decided to release them elsewhere. Now, don't say I never tell you anything."

I think we might have got them eventually but the wait might have been a couple of years rather than a couple of months.

The mono Party! tracks sound great to my ears btw, and given time I might prefer them over the stereo, which goes against my usual grain.

“We live in divisive times.”
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:43 AM »

So, they BWPS'd it. police
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: October 15, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

We might never know…

Yeh that quote is what I was referring to.  Maybe AGD can clarify, did 'huge interest' mean the actual sales of the CDs in Japan and overseas exports or fans in the west drooling over them or both?
Paulos
« Reply #2374 on: October 15, 2012, 12:32:28 PM »

So, they BWPS'd it. police

Okay Mr Stone, we all know that you dislike BWPS but what in the name of interplanetary Giraffe tennis is your comment supposed to mean?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx