gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:26:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 566809 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2325 on: October 12, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »

Tbh, if the backing tracks are all stereo, they can just as well release the backing tracks with the mono vocals on top.

Including "Good Vibrations"?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 12, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »

On the first count, I don't think it would be corrected as it would require remixing the track.

Second count...YES! But Mark Linett was saying that the vocal tape situation for the Wild Honey album is rather unflattering with regards to stereo remixes.

Tbh, if the backing tracks are all stereo, they can just as well release the backing tracks with the mono vocals on top. I mean, Good To My Baby is more or less just that. So is All Summer Long (song) and a whole lotta others. I fail to see the prob witth just releasing what is possible to release. I don't think there will be a prob, we should see a release soon hopefully!

I don't think you quite understand how this works. The separate vocals don't exist, in mono or otherwise, for the Wild Honey songs in question.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »

On the first count, I don't think it would be corrected as it would require remixing the track.

Second count...YES! But Mark Linett was saying that the vocal tape situation for the Wild Honey album is rather unflattering with regards to stereo remixes.

Tbh, if the backing tracks are all stereo, they can just as well release the backing tracks with the mono vocals on top. I mean, Good To My Baby is more or less just that. So is All Summer Long (song) and a whole lotta others. I fail to see the prob witth just releasing what is possible to release. I don't think there will be a prob, we should see a release soon hopefully!

I don't think you quite understand how this works. The separate vocals don't exist, in mono or otherwise, for the Wild Honey songs in question.

They can be extracted from the official mono mix and placed onto the stereo backing track, but that is technically not true stereo and it won't sound as good either.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »

They can be extracted from the official mono mix and placed onto the stereo backing track, but that is technically not true stereo and it won't sound as good either.

Exactly.  They've been hitting the extraction mixes very hard, so I don't see what the problem is.  Other than extraction mixes sound bad, but that hasn't stopped them so far.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 12, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »

Exactly.  They've been hitting the extraction mixes very hard, so I don't see what the problem is.  Other than extraction mixes sound bad, but that hasn't stopped them so far.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat (unless they sounded totally dreadful).  The extraction mixes I've heard so far do not sound appalling to my ears.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: October 12, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

I don't mind the extractions at all. It offers a different listening experience (for better or worse) and it still includes a mono mix so I just look at the extractions as a bonus.
onatrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »

(apologies if this has been mentioned already)

Only had a chance to casually listen to Surfin' USA and Today! so far.  I have a question regarding the mono mix of Stoked.  Is it me or is the "S" cut off at the beginning and sounds like Mike is singing "TOKED"?  Was it always like this?  I am only familiar with CD releases so I hope those with original vinyls can answer this.

Thanks!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 13, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

Here's Girl Don't Tell Me's stereo mix complete with a sneaky edit I did that may annoy purists, but helps avoid the rest of the song being dragged down by one silly lyric LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIK68LOBXY
You changed "Gran" to "Friend."
No problems here.

A discipline daddy.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: October 13, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »

(apologies if this has been mentioned already)

Only had a chance to casually listen to Surfin' USA and Today! so far.  I have a question regarding the mono mix of Stoked.  Is it me or is the "S" cut off at the beginning and sounds like Mike is singing "TOKED"?  Was it always like this?  I am only familiar with CD releases so I hope those with original vinyls can answer this.

Thanks!

I notice that as well, but don't have the original record to answer your question.  Just wanted to let you know it's not just you!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Jason
« Reply #2334 on: October 13, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »

Does the new remaster of Today! use a lower generation tape for the mono mix? Reason I ask is because Please Let Me Wonder sounds crystal clear compared to the 1990 and 2001 two-fers, both of which are covered in that patented Today! muddiness. Not complaining...just curious.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2335 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »

The missing "s" at the beginning of "Stoked" is missing on my CD, too.

Just pulled out my mono vinyl Surfin' USA....and it has the "s" at the beginning. The CD is messed up. Sad

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2336 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:29 PM »

Does the new remaster of Today! use a lower generation tape for the mono mix? Reason I ask is because Please Let Me Wonder sounds crystal clear compared to the 1990 and 2001 two-fers, both of which are covered in that patented Today! muddiness. Not complaining...just curious.

Don't know, but it sounds AGES better now.

Jason
« Reply #2337 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »

It does. Not that I had problems with the muddiness (y'know, the mud is where the magic is, along with the hiss), but the extra clarity is a revelation.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 13, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »

That's so funny - I think PLMW in mono on the new remaster is the worst thing on that whole cd. It sounds rechanneled, like the tape head wasn't alligned correctly when it was transferred. I'm listening to the Japanese release, so unless they fixed it, I can't see how you'd prefer that to any other cd release of that song.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2339 on: October 13, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »

I have it (U.S. version) playing right now, EgoHanger1966. The playback is noticeably slow and draggy, but it doesn't sound rechanneled or misaligned at all...

EDIT: WAITAMINIT....I re-listened and yeah, it's definitely leaning toward the left. But hey, at least it's not on the extreme right.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:43:50 PM by 37!ws » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: October 13, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »

On the pacjkaging issue, I wonder if we'd been more patient and not clamoured for the releases, Capitol might have not rushed the job through simply wrapped up like the Japanese issues. Who knows what their plans would have been for these remixes if we'd not barked "unfair" when it appeared the Japanese were getting them and we weren't?

We might never know…

“We live in divisive times.”
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: October 13, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »

That's so funny - I think PLMW in mono on the new remaster is the worst thing on that whole cd. It sounds rechanneled, like the tape head wasn't alligned correctly when it was transferred. I'm listening to the Japanese release, so unless they fixed it, I can't see how you'd prefer that to any other cd release of that song.

Are you hearing it to the left a little bit?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: October 13, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »

Yes. I shouldn't have said rechanneled, it's not that extreme. Just that it doesn't sound like pure mono.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: October 13, 2012, 04:33:59 PM »

Yes. I shouldn't have said rechanneled, it's not that extreme. Just that it doesn't sound like pure mono.

No, I agree with you.  It bugs me.  The left channel dominates the right, the "phantom image" I perceive is certainly a bit left of center.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: October 13, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »

I'd buy it in a heartbeat (unless they sounded totally dreadful).  The extraction mixes I've heard so far do not sound appalling to my ears.

Exactly!

Who would say no to a 2/3 stereo Wild Honey with the rest being composed of extractions (which when done on the other stereo reissues have not gathered a huge shitstorm). IMO I think that is not a sufficient reason to prevent 2/3 of a great album being stereo. The remaining might actually be good regardless. There stereo backing tracks are there so it would not be a bad product if done correctly like on Today! and SDSN.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: October 13, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

On the pacjkaging issue, I wonder if we'd been more patient and not clamoured for the releases, Capitol might have not rushed the job through simply wrapped up like the Japanese issues. Who knows what their plans would have been for these remixes if we'd not barked "unfair" when it appeared the Japanese were getting them and we weren't?

We might never know…

Well, according to AGD, we then wouldn't have gotten them at all.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: October 13, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »

It's only been one or two songs an album they're doing extraction mixes for, right? Not most of it, which would be the case for Wild Honey.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: October 13, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »

Going back a few pages to the youtube video of the guy who did the GV extraction, since the subject of DAWs came up when it was seen that he was using Audacity, i wanted to pose a question. Now, i am not taking any position here one way or the other on any DAW, i just want to ask this: If digital files are all 1s and 0s, as long as you are working with the desirable (good) sampling rate and bit rate, what difference is your DAW going to make in SOUND QUALITY? The answer to that question should be none, right? The only thing that is affected by using different DAWs is the amount of options/features, speed/lag, ease of use, convenience, interface, etc., no? Say someone is mixing and only concerned with adjusting levels and pan positions, one should be able to get the same exact results on Audacity as they would on ProTools, is that not so? I'm asking because i'm wondering what exactly it was that people were reacting against when they saw that he was using Audacity (that is, understanding fully that it's free software that is nowhere close to being considered professional).

Also, do you think this guy actually MIXED Good Vibrations or did he just extract the vocals and then hand over the files to Mark so that Mark could mix it? 

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: October 13, 2012, 09:57:41 PM »

I really don't like all the reverb that's been showing up on BB reissues lately. I don't know if it's just me, maybe they'd sound better with a different pair of headphones or something. I actually prefer the smile mixes on the GV box to the ones on TSS, Wind Chimes in particular. What I've been hearing from the new remasters/remixes just sounds offputting to me.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: October 14, 2012, 01:37:10 AM »

My first press LP sounds nice and muddy still, but I almost prefer it that way once the lead vocal comes in. It is too muddy, however, before then.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx