gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680878 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 02:38:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571644 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: October 07, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

He also said these twelve would never be released here. Face it Wirestone, you set your sights extremely low so you'll never be disappointed and will never see incoming earth-destroying meteors and can walk down the string goin "HUM BEE DEE DEE HUM BEE DEE DEE NO NO NO EVERYHONE AROUND ME SCREAMING NOTHINGS GOING WRONG SOMEONE JUST SAID 'METEOR' THEY'RE WRONG I CAN'T SEE IT OH LOOK A PENNY" and then you start to feel a little hot because the meteor approaches but you just keep looking down and then the meteor hits you and then my friend... you die. And THEN MY FRIEND YOU DIE, MAN.

As will we all, I expect. I was just posting what AGD had said earlier about the change in plans over the rereleases. Has nothing to do with my outlook on life.

When did he say this?? I'd be shocked that people on this board had anything to do with it getting a release here.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 07, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »

best buy says "coming soon" for store pickup on the albums.  I'll just wait and see if they have em before I order them online.  albums are always dirt cheap the week they come out in best buy.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 07, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

He also said these twelve would never be released here. Face it Wirestone, you set your sights extremely low so you'll never be disappointed and will never see incoming earth-destroying meteors and can walk down the string goin "HUM BEE DEE DEE HUM BEE DEE DEE NO NO NO EVERYHONE AROUND ME SCREAMING NOTHINGS GOING WRONG SOMEONE JUST SAID 'METEOR' THEY'RE WRONG I CAN'T SEE IT OH LOOK A PENNY" and then you start to feel a little hot because the meteor approaches but you just keep looking down and then the meteor hits you and then my friend... you die. And THEN MY FRIEND YOU DIE, MAN.

As will we all, I expect. I was just posting what AGD had said earlier about the change in plans over the rereleases. Has nothing to do with my outlook on life.

When did he say this?? I'd be shocked that people on this board had anything to do with it getting a release here.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13631.msg316041.html#msg316041

Top of page 70 of this very thread.

"Small factual gobbet: the mono/stereo remasters were exclusively Capitol Japan's idea, but when the parent company noted the huge interest, they decided to release them elsewhere. Now, don't say I never tell you anything."
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »

I assume theres little to no point of running down Smiley Smile, and even less for party, which can be summed up as a whole anyway.

Beg to differ on Party.  In fact, I'm shocked no one has answered the No  1 burning question of the reissues.  That, of course, is whether the Kill! Kill! vocals are there.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 07, 2012, 10:52:56 PM »

I assume theres little to no point of running down Smiley Smile, and even less for party, which can be summed up as a whole anyway.

Beg to differ on Party.  In fact, I'm shocked no one has answered the No  1 burning question of the reissues.  That, of course, is whether the Kill! Kill! vocals are there.

No they are not Grin

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »

No they are not Grin

Huh.  Gotta wonder about the credibility of the reissue then.  On a related note, anyone know if there's truth to the rumor that that was Mike Love's kid on the kill kill vocals?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:29 AM »

Sad Lighten up Mr.Wirestone, I was just joshin'.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2207 on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:46 AM »

both greatest hits, Party!, Shut Down Vol 2, and Today finally showed up on my Spotify.

and Isn't It Time doesn't sound as horrible as I remember!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:17 AM »

Does anyone know why, unlike other countries, the U.S. iTunes Store doesn't feature both mono/stereo remasters?  Strange.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: October 09, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »

I have the 2-CD box so far. Nice, if somewhat unnecessary packaging.
Worth purchasing just for 'Wild Honey' - can't stop playing it. Stunning. I also find myself appreciating the 15 Big Ones tracks in a way I haven't before, as well as the two new ones.

Of course, the CDs have once again been remastered in HDCD. I wonder if many of those here know much about this - worth doing some research. I'd make a few observations. One is that unless you have an HDCD-enabled player, it's no use to you & could even be worse-than-. Second, you can take advantage of the extra dynamic range provided by using dbpoweramp to rip it to 'puter - using a certain setting. Third, I wonder why, since this is all of limited use to the vast majority, Mark Linnett continues to use it - rather like DVD-A, the ship has sailed as they say.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:59:41 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2210 on: October 09, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »

Shut Down Vol 2 - what a great, under-rated album, and sounds even better in stereo.

A great, under-rated album, yes, but I felt that sentiment when I first heard the mono version about 6 years ago. With only the stereo version, I didn't find it that impressive. I didn't ever buy the stereo two-fers, but am now successively buying the mono version CDs.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: October 09, 2012, 03:32:11 AM »

Today sounds amazing, gotta buy that one!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: October 09, 2012, 03:37:50 AM »

Of course, the CDs have once again been remastered in HDCD. I wonder if many of those here know much about this - worth doing some research. I'd make a few observations. One is that unless you have an HDCD-enabled player, it's no use to you & could even be worse-than-. Second, you can take advantage of the extra dynamic range provided by using dbpoweramp to rip it to 'puter - using a certain setting. Third, I wonder why, since this is all of limited use to the vast majority, Mark Linnett continues to use it - rather like DVD-A, the ship has sailed as they say.

I'm on that ship though, having bought the gear specifically for BBs releases several years ago. I say, keep it coming!

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: October 09, 2012, 03:51:52 AM »

I'm on that ship though, having bought the gear specifically for BBs releases several years ago. I say, keep it coming!

Foobar does the job on PC as well.

And I say what the hey, re using the HDCD- gives listeners and producers additional options until the recording industry comes together and agrees a standard release format of 180g vinyl + HDCD SACD Hybrids (and a voucher to download free HiRes Flacs)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: October 09, 2012, 04:44:32 AM »

Beach Boys Remasters up on Spot-A-Fly.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: October 09, 2012, 06:13:38 AM »

Definitely picking up Smiley Smile, Today! and maybe Summer Days today.
grooveblaster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: October 09, 2012, 06:17:48 AM »

Ok, on Today are the stereo mixes of When I Grow Up; Dance, Dance, Dance; Please Let Me Wonder; I'm So Young; Kiss Me Baby and She Knows Me the same mixes as those previously available on  the US Singles Collection, Hawthorne, Warmth of the Sun and Summer Love Songs. On first listen they sound different, and I'm actually liking the previous ones better - so far anyway.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: October 09, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »

Are all of the songs on 50 Big Ones in stereo?

Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2218 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:50 AM »

No.

I know for a fact Little Girl I Once Knew isn't. Don't know about others.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: October 09, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »

Besides Little Girl, I Get Around, Rhonda. GV, Do It Again, Fun Fun Fun are all in mono. Not sure about H&V.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:17:46 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jason
« Reply #2220 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:34 AM »

I won't have the cash for the remasters for a while, but luckily the Rhapsody streaming service has them all available, along with 50 Big Ones.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Sure, I'm a mono purist and consider the stereo remixes of the 1961-67 material to be of negligible value beyond maybe hearing a few buried parts...but these remixes are GREAT. Smiley Smile does sound amazing with a fresh stereo remix, although said remix brings into focus just how many "Brian" (read: clumsy and sudden) edits are on the record.

These are great. It's great to finally have all of the mono mixes of those albums on CD.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: October 09, 2012, 09:38:53 AM »

Funny thing, the first song I went to hear on spotify was the single version of Isn't It Time. I wanted to hear it in true release. Sounds good to me, much better than I remember. Now checking out everything else.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 09, 2012, 12:09:58 PM »

I have the 2-CD box so far. Nice, if somewhat unnecessary packaging.
Worth purchasing just for 'Wild Honey' - can't stop playing it. Stunning. I also find myself appreciating the 15 Big Ones tracks in a way I haven't before, as well as the two new ones.

Chris, what should we be listening for on 50 big ones?  I have it on and it "sounds great," but as a critical listener, what do you think is a standout among the new mixes? clarity of sound, particular instruments, any new parts, substitute vocals or music, etc.?  Have they really made any changes--a new BB voice here and there?  I am afraid of imagining things.

thanks (and I will try to listen closely to the songs too--not lazy, just a bit un-directed)
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: October 09, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »

As far as I can see, only Shut Down 2, Party, Smiley, Today and the compliations are available on Spotify. Anyone know if the others will be put up anytime soon? I have no cash to spend on the CDs and I'm dying to hear the other remasters.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2224 on: October 09, 2012, 03:01:08 PM »

There's no discernable reason they shouldn't all have gone up at the same time, which implies to me that the other remasters might not be there for awhile, if ever.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx