gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:42:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571587 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »

The reason I vote for extractions is because once stereo mixes of these songs are made, they are invariably the ones that become the most popular and frequently heard. So if a version of Help Me Rhonda without key parts started showing up on the radio, soundtracks, hits comps, etc, that would be a bad thing. It was bad enough when Wouldn't It Be Nice started showing up on the radio with the Brian bridge.

"Restoring" Mike was a horrible move, though. In the original, that's a fairly quiet, delicate section in the context of the song. Throwing a mono mix over top of the stereo mix results in this very messy, phasey doubled-sounding effect that is just dreadful to listen to and does the exact opposite of what Brian's arrangement for that section was meant to do.

I agree, but I don't like the Pet Sounds stereo mix at all. So I'm not the best person to discuss these type of things. I wish all rock and roll was in mono. Stereo is for Esquivel records.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »

So just for clarification purposes; there's still nowhere that the Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days' new stereo mixes are downloadable on the internet as of the 17th of August, nearly a month after the initial release of these discs? Holy moly this is painful.
I share your pain my friend.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 16, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »

So just for clarification purposes; there's still nowhere that the Smiley Smile, Today and Summer Days' new stereo mixes are downloadable on the internet as of the 17th of August, nearly a month after the initial release of these discs? Holy moly this is painful.

They are around, just in limited circulation. Which is how it should be, in my opinion. The more they circulate, the less physical copies will be sold.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »

They are around, just in limited circulation. Which is how it should be, in my opinion. The more they circulate, the less physical copies will be sold.
I'm definitely buying a few of the CD's. I just need some stereo Smiley Smile to hold me over until september.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1454 on: August 16, 2012, 09:22:37 PM »

Does this possibly new remix of YSGTM have the ghost "la-la-la's" on the instrumental part like the original mono?  I remember that Mark mixed those out (since it was obviously an error)

What do you mean, "error"? That's a great moment! They're so soft when I first heard the song I thought it's a violin.

Count me among the "kinda put off by that". No WOTS compilation for me, thanks.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 16, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »

I'm quite enjoying the stereo mix of "Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)" and I"m thankful I'm not an audiophile to be bothered by whatever issues that "plague" this release.  I'm finding new love for these songs I thought I knew so well.  It's nice to revisit the material with a new perspective.  Can't wait to get the others when they're released in the US.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1456 on: August 17, 2012, 03:37:12 AM »

I'm quite enjoying the stereo mix of "Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)" and I"m thankful I'm not an audiophile to be bothered by whatever issues that "plague" this release.  I'm finding new love for these songs I thought I knew so well.  It's nice to revisit the material with a new perspective.  Can't wait to get the others when they're released in the US.

Perhaps, since the proposed Beach Boys box set is still under development, some of the mixing or mastering issues on the stereo "Summer Days...and Summer Nights" tracks could be addressed/corrected before these songs appear in the box set.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: August 17, 2012, 04:02:34 AM »

Ah, but our Leader, Lord and Master has hinted that the box might contain only previously unreleased material. Which, if that eventuality eventually eventualises, would rule out the material on the 12 CDs coming in September.

“We live in divisive times.”
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 17, 2012, 04:58:34 AM »

Ah, but our Leader, Lord and Master has hinted that the box might contain only previously unreleased material. Which, if that eventuality eventually eventualises, would rule out the material on the 12 CDs coming in September.

I don't think that's what Andrew meant, but we'll see.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 17, 2012, 05:52:29 AM »

Aye, there's plenty of room for interpretations of all kinds:

Also, can't see why people would want a box set full of the albums, rather than a box set full of previously unreleased stuff. I would TOTALLY take the previously unreleased stuff. This is probably one of our last chances to hear some of these holy grails people!

I don't think a box made up of only unreleased stuff has ever been planned or suggested.

Wrong.  Grin

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:31 AM »

They'll be uploaded... Any day now... Any day now...

The more they circulate, the less physical copies will be sold.
Not really.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 17, 2012, 06:20:13 AM »

They'll be uploaded... Any day now... Any day now...

The more they circulate, the less physical copies will be sold.
Not really.

You're right. Ian means:

"The more they circulate, the fewer physical copies will be sold."

Means the same thing.  Of course there'll be fewer copies sold if they circulate unofficially.  I'm pretty sure other official releases of archive material have been shelved due to some of it leaking beforehand; didn't Deep Sea Treasures vols 1 & 2 scuttle a planned release? I might, of course, be misremembering…

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 17, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »

Aye, there's plenty of room for interpretations of all kinds

True, but he also follows up with this:

Also, can't see why people would want a box set full of the albums, rather than a box set full of previously unreleased stuff. I would TOTALLY take the previously unreleased stuff. This is probably one of our last chances to hear some of these holy grails people!

I don't think a box made up of only unreleased stuff has ever been planned or suggested.

Wrong.  Grin

Yeah, but here's the question - is it still being planned or suggested?

It's certainly being suggested.

Here.  Smiley

Like I said, we'll see - I certainly wouldn't mind it, I'll tell ya.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 17, 2012, 06:27:05 AM »

Whoever is planning to buy the remasters is going to buy it.
Whoever isn't planning to buy the remasters isn't going to buy it.

There is nothing being "lost", especially not sales that weren't happening anyway.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 17, 2012, 06:30:27 AM »

There is nothing being "lost", especially not sales that weren't happening anyway.

What about the people who are only planning to buy the remasters if they can't find a suitable download?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 17, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »

What about the people who are only planning to buy the remasters if they can't find a suitable download?

Yeah. I just get the vibe there are quite a few people on here that claim to be major fans, but aren't willing to pony up a few bucks to buy a few of the remasters. I'm not even close to rich, honestly can barely pay my bills, but I am buying the remasters that I want, because I want to support my favorite band, and not steal from them.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 17, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »

Yeah. I just get the vibe there are quite a few people on here that claim to be major fans, but aren't willing to pony up a few bucks to buy a few of the remasters. I'm not even close to rich, honestly can barely pay my bills, but I am buying the remasters that I want, because I want to support my favorite band, and not steal from them.

True that. I can honestly say that I have bought all my Beach Boys albums/comps that were readily available (whether on itunes, amazon, or in the store).

I'll be buying the Today and Smiley Smile remasters, plus the boxset. If I'm happy with the remasters I'll probably buy them all sometime in the near future.

Like you I just don't get why "fans" would want to steal the music they like.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: August 17, 2012, 08:10:26 AM »

Just one question please.

Is the H&V stereo version the same as the Hawthorne, or have they restored the organ to the chorus like it should be? How different is it to the Smile stereo mix (which kinda sucked) or hawthorne (if different ofc). Thanks!

Edit: ...and another question. Will this release show up in Europe? if not I'll grow my beard back and put my wooden prostetic leg on again...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:13:32 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 17, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »

I have ordered them. I just want to hear Today to tide me over until then.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1469 on: August 17, 2012, 08:18:07 AM »

Just one question please.

Is the H&V stereo version the same as the Hawthorne, or have they restored the organ to the chorus like it should be? How different is it to the Smile stereo mix (which kinda sucked) or hawthorne (if different ofc). Thanks!

They restored the organ.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

I'm totally out of this loop, but wondering if "advance copies" of these remasters were made available to reviewers. That, to me, would be hilarious...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
PhilCohen
« Reply #1471 on: August 17, 2012, 08:38:48 AM »

To Mr.Doe,

If you do have insider friends, you might wish to make them aware of digital faults which people have found in the stereo remix of "Summer Days...and Summer Nights!" on the Japanese CD. As for myself, I don't hear or notice the digital crackles which some people claim to hear on two songs, and while I do hear some distortions on some songs, it's not anything more than I would expect from 1965 recordings. I do hear the digital drop-outs at 0:58-0:59 in the stereo "You're So Good To Me". As I've said previously, the same stereo mix, but without the drop-outs appears on the CD "The Warmth of The Sun", so I can burn my own corrected "Summer Days" mono/stereo disc.

It's probably too late to correct these problems on the U.S.A.  first production run, but Capitol could correct the problem on subsequent production runs....if someone makes them aware.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »

I get that through my posts I may be coming across as a cheap, unsupportive fan, but it's don't think that's the case. I'm a really, really poor student who's juggling pretty extreme medical bills to boot and yet I took the plunge in spending about six months worth of  disposable income to attend the Perth concert next month - one of the most expensive things I've ever purchased in my life - and because of that, I'm completely broke. That being said, I bought those tickets because I love the boys and I'm thrilled to support them, and I know that a higher percentage of that ticket sale would go to them than what would go to them had I bought a few of the 12 remasters and that's why I did it. If I had the fiscal resources to make the cd purchase, I would, I'm just not in that position right now with all of these bills and study overhead and for that reason, I don't see the harm in having early access to something I will most definitely purchase in the future. It just sucks a little bit.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:41 AM »

True that. I can honestly say that I have bought all my Beach Boys albums/comps that were readily available (whether on itunes, amazon, or in the store).

I'll be buying the Today and Smiley Smile remasters, plus the boxset. If I'm happy with the remasters I'll probably buy them all sometime in the near future.

Like you I just don't get why "fans" would want to steal the music they like.

I admit when I first got into the Boys 5 years ago (i was young and dumb), I found ways to get their songs without buying. No, not torrent or illegal download, but a much more simplistic way. I was horrible and felt guilty as I got more into them and learned more about them. My house is now filled with everything I can get my hands on from them. I'm getting every original 45 and LP I can and am retroactively buying box sets, etc. I'll be getting hopefully all of the remasters and at least the 50 BO greatest hits and the other box. I'm more than happy to shell out for it.

I do understand some have very little income or spending money on all of that would not be in budget, etc, so I can't really point fingers. It's the ones who have the money and still do it that I have a problem with.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:27:27 AM by LetHimRun » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 17, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »

I get that through my posts I may be coming across as a cheap, unsupportive fan, but it's don't think that's the case. I'm a really, really poor student who's juggling pretty extreme medical bills to boot and yet I took the plunge in spending about six months worth of  disposable income to attend the Perth concert next month - one of the most expensive things I've ever purchased in my life - and because of that, I'm completely broke. That being said, I bought those tickets because I love the boys and I'm thrilled to support them, and I know that a higher percentage of that ticket sale would go to them than what would go to them had I bought a few of the 12 remasters and that's why I did it. If I had the fiscal resources to make the cd purchase, I would, I'm just not in that position right now with all of these bills and study overhead and for that reason, I don't see the harm in having early access to something I will most definitely purchase in the future. It just sucks a little bit.

Well, it's an interesting ethical discussion isn't it?  Is breaking the law and stealing OK if in the future we will, in a sense, unsteal what we stole?  I'm not judging anybody, I've certainly done plenty of illegal downloading in the past.  I just think it's an interesting discussion that is illustrative of the state of morality.  Do we live in a community where stealing is morally acceptable?  I tend to define, minus very few moral absolutes, morality as generally shaped by the community.  A lot of morality is based on shame.  Has the music-consuming community lost it's shame?  Or is it because of the anonymity?

If you had to steal a copy of one of these right out of Brian Wilson's hand, would you be ashamed?  What if you told him that you were going to buy it in the future?

Again, not judging, merely asking philosophical questions as is my wont, in hopes of learning something.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx