gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:49:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571595 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1275 on: August 09, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »

Honestly, it takes more effort to think of the letters if they're not commonly used (BWPS, TLOS, TWGMTR, 409), than it takes to spell it out.

I don't know how Do You Wanna Dance could ever possibly saved from its production. Brian's mix sounds like it was recorded two rooms over, underwater, in a lead-lined closet.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54:59 PM »

I take it back - I don't think that about ALL of it - as I'm listening, there are a couple mixes I'm liking - Dance Dance Dance and I'm So Young sound pretty good. Haven't finished listening yet. I can answer any specific questions about a certain track I guess.

The ones I am looking forward to the most are WIGU(TBAM), KMB, and WITBOMM.. how do they sound? Any new revelations?

The ones you are asking about are actually not the worst in my opinion - the ones I dislike are Do You Wanna Dance, Don't Hurt My Little Sister, and Please Let Me Wonder.

WIGU - Wide stereo, not too loud and it doesn't clip. Treble heavy.
KMB - Sounds a little different than the Warmth of The Sun remix. It has the same EQ as the Warmth mix - I can't describe what that sound is, but I guess you'll know it if you've heard it. Not as wide as WIGU - some sax at the end I hadn't noticed.
ITBOMM - Single tracked Dennis. Treble heavy. This is kind of kick ass.

ITBOMM ? WITBOMM ? WTF?  English translation anyone?  Checked the wiki lists -- didn't find these.

WIGU(TBAM) - "Wouldn't It Good, Uh (To Bam Again, Man?)"
KMB - "Kill Bob Marley"
WITBOMM - "White Igloos, The Bottom Of My Mother

Initiliasms ruulrz sor hard I'm going to use them at all times from now on for everything. A... G!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »

Honestly, it takes more effort to think of the letters if they're not commonly used (BWPS, TLOS, TWGMTR, 409), than it takes to spell it out.

I don't know how Do You Wanna Dance could ever possibly saved from its production. Brian's mix sounds like it was recorded two rooms over, underwater, in a lead-lined closet.

I like the way the stereo mix is spread out, but it clips and distorts when the group vocals come in and from there on out.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: August 09, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »

"I've got the stereo mixes and am about to upload a few tracks on YouTube. Message me if you'd like a more complete and closer look."

...Is what I'd like someone to post in this thread any day now.

Ban not only for deception, but for thinking uploading things to YouTube is the ideal way to share music.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »

WIGU(TBAM) - "Wouldn't It Good, Uh (To Bam Again, Man?)"
KMB - "Kill Bob Marley"
WITBOMM - "White Igloos, The Bottom Of My Mother

Initiliasms ruulrz sor hard I'm going to use them at all times from now on for everything. A... G!
 Shocked

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »

Runners' posts consistently make me crack up out loud while sitting at my computer.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: August 09, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I like the way the stereo mix is spread out, but it clips and distorts when the group vocals come in and from there on out.

Bawww ;( this is kind of upsetting.

If everything is going to be released on CD and digital now, why don't they master things for CDs with their dynamics intact (which was one of the main reasons folks said CDs were superior to other formats when it was introduced anyway) and then take that master, squish the f*** out of the dynamics, and release THAT as the MP3 download? And give CD buyers access to said MP3 download if they don't know how to rip CDs and want something more suited for their MP3 player?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: August 09, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing that!  Internet forums are "the wild."  Wild and crazy.  Because people are.  If you ask a question, you get bashed.  But someone will also help you.  That's the territory.  It's a mean world and it's a nice world.  And if you're James Brown...it's a man's world.

"IT'S A STRANGE WORLD AFTER ALL!"

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: August 09, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »

If everything is going to be released on CD and digital now, why don't they master things for CDs with their dynamics intact (which was one of the main reasons folks said CDs were superior to other formats when it was introduced anyway) and then take that master, squish the f*** out of the dynamics, and release THAT as the MP3 download? And give CD buyers access to said MP3 download if they don't know how to rip CDs and want something more suited for their MP3 player?

Anyone who doesn't know how to rip a CD...well, I guess I ought not to be rude.  All that's necessary is to download something like iTunes, which takes 4 minutes, then literally putting said CD into your computer and hitting the big button that says burn. 

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: August 09, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

Anyone who doesn't know how to rip a CD...well, I guess I ought not to be rude.  All that's necessary is to download something like iTunes, which takes 4 minutes, then literally putting said CD into your computer and hitting the big button that says burn. 

Actually, the button says 'Import CD', but hey, at least you tried Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »

Listening to Summer Days.

Girl from NYC is pretty good, mostly stereo vocals.
Amusement Parks sounds abysmal - It doesn't even sound like it's from tape, and hardly stereo. The only thing that's wide are some of the spoken word vocals by Hal, Brian, and the female.
Then I Kissed Her is pretty good, and Salt Lake City is out-of-sight in stereo! Salt Lake City so far is my favorite stereo remix of any of them I've heard! It's wide, sounds fresh and clean, and you can pick out different instruments.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:58 PM »

Amusement Parks sounds abysmal - It doesn't even sound like it's from tape, and hardly stereo. The only thing that's wide are some of the spoken word vocals by Hal, Brian, and the female.

Strange.

Thanks for all the updates ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 09, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »

Girl Don't Tell Me is a bit phasy, probably something to do with the digital extraction. The vocal sounds pretty good, though.
Help Me Rhonda has some wierd phase issues too, much more so than Girl Don't Tell Me. It's odd - one channel (which features tambourine, drums, and some guitar) sounds great, and the other channel which has the sax and a couple other instruments sound downright terrible. Again, must be something to do with the extraction.
California Girls sounds fine.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:46 PM »

Let Him Run Wild is better than the Warmth of The Sun remix, although with headphones I keep hearing all these (very low) digital clicks and pops. Maybe it's just my copy, but I think I read this on another forum, so I'm not sure.
Ditto You're So Good To Me.
Not really fond of the EQ choices on Summer Means New Love and Bugged.
And Your Dreams Come True sounds phenomenal!!!!! The vocals are really warm.

Mixed bag for me.

Bill Ed
« Reply #1289 on: August 09, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

Good one Aegir! For a minute there you really had me going.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1290 on: August 09, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »

Three of the discs are on the way to me from CD Banq, but after reading all the negative reviews concerning mixes, digital noises & overall sound quality, I feel lucky that I didn't order more discs from the series.

I hereby withdraw my request for Capitol to release any further Beach Boys archival CD's, box set etc.

Now, they can maintain the "Wall of Secrecy" until the end of time.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 09, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »

Three of the discs are on the way to me from CD Banq, but after reading all the negative reviews concerning mixes, digital noises & overall sound quality, I feel lucky that I didn't order more discs from the series.

I hereby withdraw my request for Capitol to release any further Beach Boys archival CD's, box set etc.

The opinions of a few other people on the internet are always 100% the same as mine. I trust their word before even hearing the product to form my own opinion and go ahead and trash the product anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 09, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »

Fine, now quit whining on this board and go rant at the local library.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Johnston65
Smiley Smile Associate

Can you even boogaloo it?

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 09, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »

You are truly a miserable person. You suck the life out of everything in this thread.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1294 on: August 09, 2012, 05:52:46 PM »

Can someone line up session dates and locations for "Today" recording and mixing to find out why "Kiss Me Baby" succeeds in stereo and other tracks do not?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 09, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »

lawl, go easy on Phil, here. I'm normally not into his negativity, but this is the third attempt at re-issuing the Beach Boys catalog and it is a little discouraging to hear from a few level-headed people that it may have been f***ed up once again. These have only been released in Japan thus far, it wouldn't surprise me either way if the US/UK masters were different or exactly the same.

I'm gonna wait until I hear them to go ahead with "GAWD DAMN EHT THEY f***ed UP AGAIN" for obvious reasons, but it's still discouraging that the Japanese masters may not have been handled in an ideal manner and the US and UK masters could be the same.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 09, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

lawl, go easy on Phil, here. I'm normally not into his negativity, but this is the third attempt at re-issuing the Beach Boys catalog and it is a little discouraging to hear from a few level-headed people that it may have been f***ed up once again. These have only been released in Japan thus far, it wouldn't surprise me either way if the US/UK masters were different or exactly the same.

I'm gonna wait until I hear them to go ahead with "GAWD DAMN EHT THEY f***ED UP AGAIN" for obvious reasons, but it's still discouraging that the Japanese masters may not have been handled in an ideal manner and the US and UK masters could be the same.

Some people here disliked the new stereo mix of 'Don't Worry Baby' and that is one of my favorite mixes. Like you, I won't judge till I hear it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 09, 2012, 06:06:14 PM »

You are truly a miserable person. You suck the life out of everything in this thread.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 09, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »

Are you serious Phil? Do you mean it? You really don't care if they put out any more material? You have the chance to recant, otherwise I just may feel like posting this every time you start complaining about the Cohen of Silence.
PhilCohen
« Reply #1299 on: August 09, 2012, 06:59:53 PM »

Are you serious Phil? Do you mean it? You really don't care if they put out any more material? You have the chance to recant, otherwise I just may feel like posting this every time you start complaining about the Cohen of Silence.

Why release anything more, if quality control during mastering and/or manufacturing is going to be mediocre? You guys fill me with dread and worry that I've just spent $106 to have 3 CD's sent from Taiwan, and what I'm going to receive next week may be loaded with crackles and other digital noises or distortion, due to careless mastering.  Am i supposed to jump for joy?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:05:36 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx