gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:56:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572828 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »

I'm soooooo thankful I held out and didn't buy any of the Japanese mini-LP CDs.  These will do just fine.  I shall make room on the shelf for the shiny box set that is sure to package all these great releases......

Same, but let's just hope it isn't only just for Japan now..

Capitol must have spent a good load of cash on this project so I doubt they'd limit it to one country.  What we're probably seeing here is this Japanese site announcing it before everyone else.  Who knows...they may even have the remasters released there first before everywhere else?  Either way, I shall expect an annoucement for the worldwide release to be made in the near future.  

Agreed.  My guess is that we'll be seeing an official nouncement soon....  And this thread will suddenly jump to 50 pages in a day!  LOL

My god, this makes me VERY happy! i hope there's gnna be a HUGE boxset that i can get for Christmas  Grin
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

Well the other japanese cds that are already out aren't from Capitol?

Yes they are but the only thing that made those items special was the LP reproduction packaging (which totall kicks ass!).  I believe they used the exact same mastering as the previously released batch of the same titles (on the two-fers).  No new mastering.  Here we have the top guns, Linett and Boyd doing some extensive work on giving us both mono and stereo mixes...a little more is invovled here.  If they're gonig to these lengths to freshen up these recordings, they would have to release it worldwide for them to get a nice return on this!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »

As a collector of some of these Japanese mini LP sets basically expect pristine and detailed packaging down to the letter but for these only to be available to the Japanese market.  The Japanese market prefers the mini-LP format as oppose to what is common throughout the rest of the world and many acts have released their catalog in this format in Japan.  Sometimes the releases that are chosen for the mini-LP format often have no rhyme nor reason to them.  Springsteen's catalog was missing a few LPs I believe when issued in this format in Japan while Tom Petty's catalog was missing his first two records which may have been due to copyright issues.

The real surprise here is obviously that these discs have been remastered by Linett which is usually not the case when it comes to these Japanese reissues.  Although most of these Japanese reissues are sourced from the lowest generation tape sources available rarely if ever are they given a legitimate remastering job which is apparently the case here.  I wouldn't be surprised given the press release if this was done as some sort of tie-in to the upcoming Japanese leg of the tour.  As I mentioned the Japanese market usually prefers this type of packaging over the jewel case or digipak format available elsewhere so having an attractive set of mini-LPs at the merchandise table might not be a bad idea.

My gut feeling is that these will probably be available to those outside of Japan only via import available on online shops such as Amazon.  Again this may have more to do with the particular markets more than anything else.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »

Except that these aren't mini LP's. If you look at the picture, they are identical looking to the Beatles' remasters in 2009.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »

Yeah my whole feeling on these getting intrntl release is the beatlea 2009 packaging
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2012, 11:21:27 AM »

That being said I wonder if they will offer them in a box set like The Beatles did back in 2009 or if we'll have to buy them all separately?  I might cash out for a box set but buying them all individually isn't very attractive to me.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »

This makes me think of that quote that came up recently that we should expect the "ultimate career spanning box set."  Tag on a 1 or 2 disc bonus disc of unreleased archive material only avaialble in this box set and bam...there ya have it.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »

That being said I wonder if they will offer them in a box set like The Beatles did back in 2009 or if we'll have to buy them all separately?  I might cash out for a box set but buying them all individually isn't very attractive to me.

Funnily enough, the pricing scheme in 2009 made it cheaper in most cases to buy the stereo cd's seperately rather than buying the box!
And of course, the whole mono box fiasco - EMI says it's limited, everyone rushes out and spends uber money on it, only for it to NOT be limited and available at Best Buy for $100 for a long while...

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2012, 11:32:01 AM »

Funnily enough, the pricing scheme in 2009 made it cheaper in most cases to buy the stereo cd's seperately rather than buying the box!
And of course, the whole mono box fiasco - EMI says it's limited, everyone rushes out and spends uber money on it, only for it to NOT be limited and available at Best Buy for $100 for a long while...

The box set was well worth it in my opinion though whether you chose to go with the box that EMI/Apple put out or went for the independently produced Box of Vision format.  Now there is an idea!  Much like they had to with The Beatles and Bob Dylan, the Box of Vision folks would have to gain permission from The Beach Boys to put together a Box of Vision set on them but that would be an attractive way to display these digipaks.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

As far as I can tell, the Box of Vision is just a binder that allow you to slip in just the discs into the plastic pockets (plus maybe the CD booklet).  Not necssarily enough space to put the actual digipack package in there.  Looks like they've printed the image of each album onto the plastic so you could identify what album it is a bit easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeMGkWAdds&feature=player_embedded

I personally wouldn't want to put the discs in this type of setup; making the digipacks useless...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:43:11 AM by Justin » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 11:45:57 AM »

As far as I can tell, the Box of Vision is just a binder that allow you to slip in just the discs into the plastic pockets.  Not necssarily enough space to put the actual digipack package in there.  Looks like they've printed the image of each album onto the plastic so you could identify what album it is a bit easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EeMGkWAdds&feature=player_embedded

I personally wouldn't want to put the discs in this type of setup; making the digipacks useless...

You are both right and wrong.  The digipaks actually do fit into the Box of vision as that is what the Box of vision was created for.  The problem was that the first couple of Beatles Box of Vision sets were not done to exact specifications and some digipaks began to slip & slide around.  This problem was rectified initially with the use of Ace Felt Pads and later rectified entirely on the subsequently produced Beatles and Lennon Box of Vision sets.

Loading The DigiPaks Into The Box Of Vision
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY1_BfaVxWQ&feature=relmfu

Keeping The DigiPaks Snug In The Box Of Vision
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XaEjgQSzuU&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:48:24 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »

Good to know they have enough room for the digipacks...the virtual tour from the official site never implied that the entire packaging would fit.  I have the Lennon, Dylan and Beatles box sets and I am quite happy with the boxes they came in...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »

No wild honey = devestated

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

NO LOVE YOU?!?! Wow.
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »

since "Surfs Up" and "Sunflower" will be stereo only... they will def have some room for some bonus tracks... Fingers crossed amigos!  Grin
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 12:09:46 PM »

Can't see my self buying some of these titles for the third time (minimum, Pet Sounds I've lost count) on the CD format.  But hi-res downloads?  Now we're talkin.  I think we're gonna see an ambitious program like the Rolling Stones on HDtracks.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 12:10:08 PM »

IF
(note the word IF) the remastering or boxing process for 2012 ends with "Surf's Up" and does not include "Wild Honey", "Friends" or "20/20" I personally am of the opinion that it is a smart move on the part of the band or whomever is making decisions on what or what not to include in this particular batch of remasters.  The C50 is a celebration of the best music The Beach Boys' ever put out and while that can be a bit of a subjective process at best, the music of the early-mid sixties is the reason this band continues to be regarded so highly today.

Albums like "Smiley Smile", "Wild Honey" and most of their records of the seventies and eighties while firm favorites with the diehard fanbase do not necessarily speak well of the band to the general public.  At best a lot of these records are novelties and at worst to a casual fan do more to damage the legacy of The Beach Boys' than enhance it.  Admittedly we all have our favorites but then again we are the diehard fanbase and probably afford the catalog a wider berth than most people would.  

Therefore as I mentioned if these are the only records to receive the remastering treatment, they probably picked the best of the best with "Surfin Safari" - "Pet Sounds" being the bands' golden era, "Smiley Smile" included due to the fact it includes "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains" and two of their strongest records from the seventies to cap it all off in a nice twelve disc package.

Now about those bonus discs filled with rarities and goodies...  Grin

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 12:32:18 PM »

IF
(note the word IF) the remastering or boxing process for 2012 ends with "Surf's Up" and does not include "Wild Honey", "Friends" or "20/20" I personally am of the opinion that it is a smart move on the part of the band or whomever is making decisions on what or what not to include in this particular batch of remasters.  The C50 is a celebration of the best music The Beach Boys' ever put out and while that can be a bit of a subjective process at best, the music of the early-mid sixties is the reason this band continues to be regarded so highly today.

Albums like "Smiley Smile", "Wild Honey" and most of their records of the seventies and eighties while firm favorites with the diehard fanbase do not necessarily speak well of the band to the general public.  At best a lot of these records are novelties and at worst to a casual fan do more to damage the legacy of The Beach Boys' than enhance it.  Admittedly we all have our favorites but then again we are the diehard fanbase and probably afford the catalog a wider berth than most people would.  

Therefore as I mentioned if these are the only records to receive the remastering treatment, they probably picked the best of the best with "Surfin Safari" - "Pet Sounds" being the bands' golden era, "Smiley Smile" included due to the fact it includes "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes And Villains" and two of their strongest records from the seventies to cap it all off in a nice twelve disc package.

Sucks that Smiley Smile is getting this treatment, but not a bunch of the other! I'm pretty bummed we won't be getting Wild Honey, 20/20, Carl and the Passions "So Tough", Holland, and L.A. (Light Album) yet, if at all.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »

IF

This line of thinking, while explained well by you, makes no sense to me and I can't see this being the reason. Time will tell....

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

See, I'm perfectly okay with just these titles.  Better than anything I could have hoped for in terms of re-mastered albums, which I never thought would happen.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »

There actually doesn't seem to be any consistent logic with the first batch of remasters they're releasing.  If they went with the "best of the catalog" route there was no reason to not include "Holland" since it is widely accepted as one of their best.  Not sure how they could really justify "Beach Boys Party!" to be included with the other "great" albums. 

There is a small chance we can expect the other part of the catalog to be released in another batch after this.  All bets are off on any expectations since almost NO ONE expected for them to even put out any remastered editions.  At this point, anything goes. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 01:09:29 PM by Justin » Logged
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 12:50:25 PM »

No Friends but we do get yet another version of Pet Sounds, sigh.

Thanks for chiming in with the first complaint.

Would you expect them to leave PET SOUNDS out of a reissue campaign?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »

IF

This line of thinking, while explained well by you, makes no sense to me and I can't see this being the reason. Time will tell....

Yeah, I agree that JohnMill did a great job of explaining that position, but it doesn't really make all that much sense. Skipping three '60s albums and then ignoring everything after 1971 just doesn't make that much sense. I figure at the least, they would do everything up to 20/20, ya know, all the original Capitol albums, and then everything from Sunflower til probably either The Beach Boys or Still Cruisin'. But including some things and not others, without any rhyme or reason doesn't make all that much sense to me.

I am interested to see if this is Japan only though. It is possible that this is just for their tour there, and maybe it won't be available in US editions. Although that would be odd, it's possible I suppose. I really hope we do get the entire catalog remasters on single albums along with a new box set full of unreleased stuff. That's my dream scenario.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »

Well the other japanese cds that are already out aren't from Capitol?

Yes they are but the only thing that made those items special was the LP reproduction packaging (which totall kicks ass!).  I believe they used the exact same mastering as the previously released batch of the same titles (on the two-fers).  No new mastering.  Here we have the top guns, Linett and Boyd doing some extensive work on giving us both mono and stereo mixes...a little more is invovled here.  If they're gonig to these lengths to freshen up these recordings, they would have to release it worldwide for them to get a nice return on this!

Ok thanks for the info! no bonus you think then ?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »

Could be Ziggy!  I can see them consolidating all the bonus tracks into one bonus disk only available if you buy the big box set.  Perhaps even adding a brand new disc of never before heard stuff.  That's a popular sneaky move that many of these companies like to do!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx