gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:29:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 571257 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »

50 Big Ones was based on the average setlist they played at the Reunion Celebration gigs, so no Breakaway.

So, they BWPS'd it. police

Okay Mr Stone, we all know that you dislike BWPS but what in the name of interplanetary Giraffe tennis is your comment supposed to mean?

They sequenced the album based on the sequence of the live performance.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:45 PM »

Not really.  While many of the songs on 50 Big Ones were played on the tour, they were not played in that order and there are some songs featured on the album that were not played live.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »

I went to Best Buy on my break today to see if they had Surfer Girl. Turns out they had every remaster BUT that one. The thing that astounded me though was that Best Buy has their own Al Jardine section with Postcard From California for $9.99! I thought I was in the twilight zone or something. They also had Gershwin and Disney.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »

50 Big Ones was based on the average setlist they played at the Reunion Celebration gigs, so no Breakaway.

Thanks. Wish they had included it regardless.

Ideally, it should have been part of the setlist.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 15, 2012, 02:43:01 PM »

I went to Best Buy on my break today to see if they had Surfer Girl. Turns out they had every remaster BUT that one. The thing that astounded me though was that Best Buy has their own Al Jardine section with Postcard From California for $9.99! I thought I was in the twilight zone or something. They also had Gershwin and Disney.

The one I went to had all but Summer Days Cry I saw the Gershwin and Disney albums, too, although I didn't even think to check if there was an Al Jardine section.  LOL

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: October 15, 2012, 02:47:20 PM »

What's the difference between the Heroes And Villains single version found on the Hawthorne, CA set and the one on the new remastered Smiley Smile?
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

Consider yourselves lucky. I searched the Best Buy inventory online and none of the stores in my area carry any of the reissues. Luckily a FYE is nearby and they have them for $13.99 each (not as cheap as best buy) so I bought four of them.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: October 15, 2012, 03:23:57 PM »

What's the difference between the Heroes And Villains single version found on the Hawthorne, CA set and the one on the new remastered Smiley Smile?

The Hawthorne one sounds terrible and this one sounds much less terrible.

I'm actually about to make a post concerning the 2012 stereo "Heroes", among other things.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »

My local Best Buy didn't have a thing except 50 Big Ones and TWGMTR. 

See how times change?-- "That damn Best Buy just had a million copies of the new Beach Boys album!" would have felt different to say a year or two ago...

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mrralan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »

I'm actually about to make a post concerning the 2012 stereo "Heroes", among other things.

What is wrong with the Hawthorne mix?  It sounds brighter to me.  Are there any differences such as additional instruments in the single vs the album?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: October 15, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »

What is wrong with the Hawthorne mix?  It sounds brighter to me.  Are there any differences such as additional instruments in the single vs the album?

It's way too bright and compressed, for me. "Bright" isn't a bad thing, but that one is way too bright. The percussion in the chorus grates badly.

And yeah, any engineer/producer/etc with respect for themself uses Pro Tools Wink

Can't say I agree, but hay.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 15, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »

Can't say I agree, but hay.

Hay is for horses.
Al Jardine is for lovers.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 15, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »

Seems logical… until you consider the inclusion of Surf's Up on disc 2.

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2388 on: October 15, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »

Holy CafePress, Batman! (slams gloved fist into hand)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 15, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »

I've been getting deep into Smiley Smile since the new edition came out and just have to say, this is a work of freakin' genius!

The writing.  The singing.  The playing.  The VERY strange weirdness of it all!

I really "get" Smiley Smile now and with all respect to Carl Wilson, this album IS a home run!  Or maybe a bases clearing double!

It really is the first "alternative pop" record.

I am finally starting to understand its internal logic.

It's "alt music" before its time.

No, it's not SMiLe, but...... WOW

It's not just great; it's insanely great!

Lovely and Scary!!!

My Two Cents.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 15, 2012, 04:18:00 PM »

The title of the now-inevitable Al Jardine 'standards' album.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 15, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »

Al Jardine Reimagines Jolson.

sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 15, 2012, 05:04:28 PM »

I did a comparison yesterday and the 2012 stereo mix is a lot truer to the original Smiley release.  The Hawthorne mix uses the ascending bass on the chorus from the SMiLE sessions, which was actually single sustained organ notes on the Smiley version.  The Hawthorne version has lots of reverb throughout, whereas the Smiley version just had bits of reverb here and there (most notably on "healthy wealthy and wise...").  The most annoying part of the Hawthorne mix for me is where there are some sections that sound very duophonic to me.  In addition, on the choruses the "bicycle rider" keyboard part sounds artificially doubled to me. 

The whole thing was a great effort at the time, but it never sounded quite right to me. 
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2393 on: October 15, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

What is wrong with the Hawthorne mix?  It sounds brighter to me.  Are there any differences such as additional instruments in the single vs the album?

I don't think there are any additional instruments, but there are some noticeable thingies with the Hawthorne mix:

- Extra reverb
- It sounds like two tapes were synched, and they're noticeably out of sync when the first chorus comes in.
- The Baldwin organ is VERY potted down.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »

I've just spent some time A/B-ing some of the newer two-fer remasters with these 2012 reissues, and for me these are definitely a mixed bag.  I think the stereo mixes are done very well, and truly open up each track in a way that's quite revealing.  I'm enjoying listening to these new mixes, especially on Smiley Smile.  However, I think there are issues with the mastering of all the tracks on these new reissues.  Comparing mono versions of the songs with the most recent reissues they don't sound as full and fresh to me, like the master tapes have offered what they could years ago and don't have any punch left.  In particular I hear the low mids and low end in general lacking on these, which is a shame.  I believe the stereo mixes also are suffering from this mastering problem.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

I've just spent some time A/B-ing some of the newer two-fer remasters with these 2012 reissues, and for me these are definitely a mixed bag.  I think the stereo mixes are done very well, and truly open up each track in a way that's quite revealing.  I'm enjoying listening to these new mixes, especially on Smiley Smile.  However, I think there are issues with the mastering of all the tracks on these new reissues.  Comparing mono versions of the songs with the most recent reissues they don't sound as full and fresh to me, like the master tapes have offered what they could years ago and don't have any punch left.  In particular I hear the low mids and low end in general lacking on these, which is a shame.  I believe the stereo mixes also are suffering from this mastering problem.
I agree. When I get my cd's I'm gonna rip 'em to WAVS, re-EQ them, and burn them to a cd-r.

A discipline daddy.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 16, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »

I've been getting deep into Smiley Smile since the new edition came out and just have to say, this is a work of freakin' genius!

The writing.  The singing.  The playing.  The VERY strange weirdness of it all!

I really "get" Smiley Smile now and with all respect to Carl Wilson, this album IS a home run!  Or maybe a bases clearing double!

It really is the first "alternative pop" record.

I am finally starting to understand its internal logic.

It's "alt music" before its time.

No, it's not SMiLe, but...... WOW

It's not just great; it's insanely great!

Lovely and Scary!!!

My Two Cents.

Couldn't agree more. It's a work of art. Done purely on the instincts of the moment, and in pretty bad circumstances, I guess. That made it what it is: great. And your remark on it being alt.music before the term was invented is spot on.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 16, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

Reviews of the discs over at The Seond Disc:

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/10/16/review-the-beach-boys-remasters-part-two-the-album-by-album-guide/#comment-18818

A familiar name just doesn't seem to be too happy about them (see comments at foot of reviews)!

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 16, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/10/16/review-the-beach-boys-remasters-part-two-the-album-by-album-guide/#comment-18818

A familiar name just doesn't seem to be too happy about them (see comments at foot of reviews)!

Wasn't the rumor about Mike blocking a bunch of sh*t, particularly Brian Wilson songs, from being released on Made In California basically debunked and said not to be true? As I said elsewhere, who the f*** is gonna be the main songwriter on a Beach Boys box set if not Brian? Makes no sense.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 16, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »

Wasn't the rumor about Mike blocking a bunch of sh*t, particularly Brian Wilson songs, from being released on Made In California basically debunked and said not to be true? As I said elsewhere, who the f*** is gonna be the main songwriter on a Beach Boys box set if not Brian? Makes no sense.

It wasn't really debunked per se, but I did point out that the poster who started this rumor was a guy on the Hoff board named "fifthbeatle" or something. You know, the poster formerly known as "VintageMusic", so I wouldn't put too much credence into what that goofball says. I find it pretty hard to believe that he would be trusted with any confidential information.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx