gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 11:55:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572807 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: September 25, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »

I just realized... they could TOTALLY just release the other albums on iTunes... that'd be good with me!

Thumbs down. Buying lossy media (something I will never do) from a company who has a near-monopoly on just about everything anymore = bad idear. I've been waiting until these albums get a decent remaster (i.e. no excessive brickwalling, compression, noise reduction etc.) before I finally buy the handful I still haven't, and physical copies are always better.

What RD-0 said, times 10,000!!!  Lossy media blows!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
SBonilla
« Reply #2076 on: September 25, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

Very strange:

"Released: Sep 21, 2012
℗ 2012 Brother Records, Inc., under exclusive license to Capitol Records, LLC. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws. Manufactured by Capitol Catalog, 1750 North Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028."
Not strange at all. Why do you think that?
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »

YOU MONSTER!

THIS IS TORTURE!!!!   LOL

Cool Guy

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

A bit late, but...

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:50 PM »

Very strange:

"Released: Sep 21, 2012
℗ 2012 Brother Records, Inc., under exclusive license to Capitol Records, LLC. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws. Manufactured by Capitol Catalog, 1750 North Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028."
Not strange at all. Why do you think that?

Simply that it does appear to be a genuine 2012 release of Holland but completely hitherto unannounced. Remastered? Why else have the "℗ 2012 Brother Records, Inc." tag on there.

Whatever, I'm banking on a tangible CD release (and some better-paid work coming my way!)

“We live in divisive times.”
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: September 25, 2012, 05:20:15 PM »

A bit late, but...

I coulda done without that second shot....  Sad
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: September 25, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »

As I said before all fans MUST buy the 50 Big Ones set , just for Darlin' its awesome
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT can a fan please in future be given the job of proof reading the liner notes !  

David Wild mentions that 'Be True To Your School' is on the album ,  NOT !!!!
And I have yet to study all of it BUT the lead vocal on 'God Only Knows' is listed as Brian  Roll Eyes

Shoddy work  to say the least
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: September 25, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »

As I said before all fans MUST buy the 50 Big Ones set , just for Darlin' its awesome
BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT can a fan please in future be given the job of proof reading the liner notes !  

And I have yet to study all of it BUT the lead vocal on 'God Only Knows' is listed as Brian  Roll Eyes

wow!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: September 25, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere for me, and it's here. I can't justify buying a 2cd set for two remixed songs. I'll gladly buy something that I feel gives me (a Beach Boys collector) substantially new product. The Beach Boys have been very good to us, and I don't fault them for putting out as much product as possible to cover each fan base. But to put those two tracks on there as bait for super mega fans to shell out more money for so little new....I just can't bring myself to go there. Hopefully the remixes will be on the new (big) box. I support The Beach Boys, when they support me  Smiley

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RadBooley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: September 25, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

There's gotta be a line drawn somewhere for me, and it's here. I can't justify buying a 2cd set for two remixed songs. I'll gladly buy something that I feel gives me (a Beach Boys collector) substantially new product. The Beach Boys have been very good to us, and I don't fault them for putting out as much product as possible to cover each fan base. But to put those two tracks on there as bait for super mega fans to shell out more money for so little new....I just can't bring myself to go there. Hopefully the remixes will be on the new (big) box. I support The Beach Boys, when they support me  Smiley
Hey, I'm still tapped out from the Smile mega-box.

...does the fact they're remastering all these old albums in stereo point to a potential stereo Smile re-release one day?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »

...does the fact they're remastering all these old albums in stereo point to a potential stereo Smile re-release one day?

Anything is possible but I'd wager a guess to say no. Because there would be a lot of "digital extractions", probably more so than on any remastered album of this or any upcoming batch. And like you said, it would have to be way down the line, because the SMiLE Sessions is so new.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »

You know what else is cool? Being able to be on my bicycle in a rural area as the sun sets with the open road in front of me or hanging out at the park I went to as a kid and being able to listen to well over half my record collection on a device that's the size of a deck of cards. Not just my CD collection - vinyl, cassette recordings I made as a child, my own music, my friends' music, music from video games, anything I could possibly want is there. I encoded those digital files with the utmost care, they sound pretty damn good (yes, not as good as vinyl, God forbid), and again, I have the majority of my record collection in the pocket of my jacket. Holy shit. I'm on that back road or wherever, and whatever mood strikes me at the moment, I have immediate access to just the right song for it. Or maybe the right song will come up by chance.

"You can drive your car to the county fair
 Or ride your bicycle anywhere
 It doesn't matter that much to me
 'Cause we're pretty good company....."

Smokin

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »

You know what else is cool? Being able to be on my bicycle in a rural area as the sun sets with the open road in front of me or hanging out at the park I went to as a kid and being able to listen to well over half my record collection on a device that's the size of a deck of cards. Not just my CD collection - vinyl, cassette recordings I made as a child, my own music, my friends' music, music from video games, anything I could possibly want is there. I encoded those digital files with the utmost care, they sound pretty damn good (yes, not as good as vinyl, God forbid), and again, I have the majority of my record collection in the pocket of my jacket. Holy shit. I'm on that back road or wherever, and whatever mood strikes me at the moment, I have immediate access to just the right song for it. Or maybe the right song will come up by chance.

"You can drive your car to the county fair
 Or ride your bicycle anywhere
 It doesn't matter that much to me
 'Cause we're pretty good company....."

Smokin

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: September 26, 2012, 05:21:08 AM »

I admit I didn't keep up with this thread - I just got 50 Big Ones and was astounded that these were the only two 2012 remixes. I had (foolishly) assumed the set would showcase the new remasters. This seemed to me like a) A logical step forward, and b) A good way to market the new back catalogue.

I feel, just slightly, ripped off. It seems certain that the 2012 versions of the vintage back cat' will now end up on the big box. That's fine, but I am a little upset that 50 Big Ones didn't get this treatment.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: September 26, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »

So is it like just a simple vinyl replica type thing or it opens like a digipack (a la Beatles remastered albums) ? what about the booklet, is there any? if so, is it good or quite simple?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »

So is it like just a simple vinyl replica type thing or it opens like a digipack (a la Beatles remastered albums) ? what about the booklet, is there any? if so, is it good or quite simple?

50 big Ones or The Individual CD's?

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »

Yeah the individual CD's, mono/stereo.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: September 26, 2012, 08:41:44 AM »

Anything is possible but I'd wager a guess to say no. Because there would be a lot of "digital extractions", probably more so than on any remastered album of this or any upcoming batch. And like you said, it would have to be way down the line, because the SMiLE Sessions is so new.

Is there a definitive fan made stereo mix doing the rounds? Ideally one that incorporates Linett's legit stereo mixes where possible? Just occurred to me I may be breaking board rules here, but I do remember people upping their stereo mixes so maybe it's ok to talk about them?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:47:35 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: September 26, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »

You don't get much for your money - no notes AT ALL

(Yes, that is Love You in the background)

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: September 26, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »

Is there a definitive fan made stereo mix doing the rounds? Ideally one that incorporates Linett's legit stereo mixes where possible? Just occurred to me I may be breaking board rules here, but I do remember people upping their stereo mixes so maybe it's ok to talk about them?

I believe it was Linett that said one purpose of the boxset was so people could "roll their own" SMiLE mixes. It would be asinine if we couldn't talk about these mixes on this board.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: September 26, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »

You don't get much for your money - no notes AT ALL

(Yes, that is Love You in the background)

Thank you very much, mr "rmoustachioto"! great pictures, gotta love the Love You vinyll cameo Wink (i still don't have it, i want it so bad!)
Yeah, looks a bit shame, no bonus, no booklet, but hey at least that's something other than the two-fers offer.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »

Since I personally thought it sounded VERY phasy, here's the Help Me, Rhonda Stereo Extraction mix

'Chug, Chug, Chug...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-zCSv_ll0&feature=youtu.be

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: September 26, 2012, 09:51:59 AM »

sounds good over my speakers, sounds like ehhhh over headphones.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: September 26, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

sounds good over my speakers, sounds like ehhhh over headphones.

yeah, thats what I thought too

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: September 26, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »

I believe it was Linett that said one purpose of the boxset was so people could "roll their own" SMiLE mixes. It would be asinine if we couldn't talk about these mixes on this board.

Barnshine, with some help from others, did a stereo recreation of tracks 1-19.  Impossible for it to be perfect given what he had to work with, but I think he did an excellent job.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11848.msg235060.html#msg235060
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx