gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680851 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:25:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getcha Back is such a tease!  (Read 14106 times)
mjforever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »

When I heard Brian Wilson's falsetto on Getcha Back I assumed it was back for good. What exactly happened? I have never seen any footage of Brian performing this song? Was this nothing more than 80's studio magic? Has ANYONE seen this song live with Brian singing?

I have an MP3 of the Boys doing the song live in 1985 and it sounds amazing but it doesn't sound like Brian.

Is that ... Carl doing the chorus?

LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR: WHILE WE CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THE COURTESY, RULES ARE RULES.

To the mods ... I ask that you please not delete the link. It is a live song not on ANY album we can buy.

Cool Guy
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:17:42 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

I'd be very surprised if the falsetto wasn't looped.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »

There is debate as to whether the falsetto is even Brian. Some suggest it is Foskett (who I believe sings uncredited on the album).
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:28 PM »

There is debate as to whether the falsetto is even Brian. Some suggest it is Foskett (who I believe sings uncredited on the album).

Well it certainly sounds like Brian.  It would seem strange to ask Foskett to do it in a Brian voice.
As for the live clip, I can't tell who is doing the falsetto, but the "woah-oh" that Brian also sings sounds like its being done by Al. Its not Carl because during  the second chorus you can hear Carl sing "getcha back, baby". Strange, the ending sounds like Bruce, but you can clearly hear him singing another part during the choruses.

Youre not allowed to have a picture in your signature so imagine this : Tony Montana shooting a machine gun (his little friend), but the face is actually Mike Love haha.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

Brian was not at the 7/4/85 Phildelphia show. He was at the show later that night in D.C. Foskett was handling the falsetto part in the 7/4/85 concert performance, Al on the wo wo wo's,  with Carl on the "I leave you her, you leave him" tag. To my ears, on the actual studio recording, it is Brian on the falsetto. But what do I know, I wasn't actually there...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:31:31 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

It being Foskett is the most sensible answer.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

Now that you said it, it does sounds a lot like.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »

It being Foskett is the most sensible answer.

Sensible?  You're following the wrong band...

send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:01 PM »

I think Brian's Getcha Back falsetto sounds just as coked out and shredded as his She's Got Rhythm falsetto.  He sings at least as high on Orange Crate Art 8 to 10 years later.

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »

Hasn't someone on the board said that on the studio recording that it was Brian, coached and coaxed into it by Terry Melcher?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

Hasn't someone on the board said that on the studio recording that it was Brian, coached and coaxed into it by Terry Melcher?

many published reports have said something to that effect

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »

Perfect timing re 'coached and coaxed'. Take a look at this clip from the other night. At 1 min in Jeff is doing just that trying to get Brian to join in on the backing vocals! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEBHAba7Yfg
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »

That sounds about right to me - add in some studio wizardry and I think you've got it (i.e. EQ, pitch correction, looping, etc.).  I wouldn't discount the possibility of Foskett doubling it though.  I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same!
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »

I don't get why people are so psyched they are performing it this tour when neither Mike or Brian are doing their original parts...which was the appeal of the recording.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:35:16 PM by dirwuf » Logged
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »

TBH I don't know how anyone can think that's NOT Brian. Huh
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »

I don't get why people are so psyched they are performing it this tour when neither Mike or Brian are doing their original parts...which was the appeal of the recording.

Mike sings, like, what, 80% of the songs, not only on the records but also -obviously- live, so it's really cool to have a song that hasn't been played in a while and that is sung by someone who never gets a lead -and that is a member of The Beach Boys-.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »

TBH I don't know how anyone can think that's NOT Brian. Huh

Agreed.  And it is not an especially high falsetto.  Compare it to Surf's Up next time you are singing along with it in the car.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »

That sounds about right to me - add in some studio wizardry and I think you've got it (i.e. EQ, pitch correction, looping, etc.).  I wouldn't discount the possibility of Foskett doubling it though.  I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same!

There was a thread about this 3 or 4 years ago (I remember reading it at my old desk) and somebody posted an interview with Terry Melcher where he said it's Brian, taped looped. There might have been other effects too, search for that thread and it should have all the details.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »

He sounds better than any other falsettist. Even in this robotic, manufactured form.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 06:08:49 PM »

Sounds like Totten's handling the woo-oos this time, also looks like Brian did a little backing vocals live, nothing that particuarly stands out though!
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »

Can anyone pin point where Foskett is singing in Getcha Back?

Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »

There was a thread about this 3 or 4 years ago (I remember reading it at my old desk) and somebody posted an interview with Terry Melcher where he said it's Brian, taped looped. There might have been other effects too, search for that thread and it should have all the details.
In an interview for my book, producer Steve Levine said "This is pre-Auto-Tune. It is tracked , but there is no faking."

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
SIP.FLAC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »

In an interview for my book, producer Steve Levine said "This is pre-Auto-Tune. It is tracked , but there is no faking."

What do you mean by "tracked"?

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

it wouldn't be nearly so ragged if it was Foskett.  Brian all the way.
Gohi
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »

I love the scratchiness of the falsetto on that track. Beautiful.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx