gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 12:55:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All unreleased albums??  (Read 16262 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

Phantom self-titled album???  Do tell more!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2012, 02:38:20 AM »

While you're doing your mythbusting, AGD, do you think you should include the phantom self-titled album from 1964 mentioned in the Steven Gaines book?  Smiley

Oh, right. Will do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 06:54:01 AM »

Honestly?  Try a quick Google search.... that's probably THE easiest unreleased Beach Boys album to find, outside of the various "Smile" bootlegs.  Hell, I found a "Landlocked" CD in a used CD store once.

The track list:
01) Loop De Loop
02) Susie Cincinnati
03) San Miguel
04) H.E.L.P. Is On The Way
05) Take A Load Off Your Feet
06) Carnival
07) I Just Got My Pay
08) Good Time
09) Big Sur
10) Lady
11) When Girls Get Together
12) Lookin' At Tomorrow

Some boots add the Desper mix of "Til I Die" (or a medley of a rough, half-finished mix and the Desper mix) onto the end of the album... according to the liners on the version I bought, this song wasn't part of the album at all.

tbh this 'album' is pretty trash, i'm glad it was rejected. I would love to hear a clear version of Carnival/Over The Waves, San Miguel and Big Sur. The Landlocked version of Good Time is superior to the Love You version, sounds more relaxed, more echo, more psychedelic. The rest is mosly garbage though. When Girls Get Together is better than  the KTSA mix, but still nothing remarkable.
is there anyway i can get this album?

Use Google newguy,  Don't think talking about where to get bootlegs is kosher here.
i used google but the links are'nt official..it sucks because all you guys have the privilege of hearing these songs..i don't even know what they sound like :O

official? not sure what you mean by that...also, every one of those songs is on youtube.  start with big sur, and just listen to that glory for an hour (not the holland version).  here i'll get you started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRG_fT3yOAU
wow this is amazing Smiley thanks alot but they don't have loop de loop :/

Loop D Loop is the worst song Al ever attempted. Glad Jack Reily got him off that sh*t. Worse than anything cocaine ever did to Brian and Dennis.

I used to think it was an abomination until I heard this mix which deals Al's contributions in moderation. I really think it becomes really, really good in this incarnation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASUOjzLc6w

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 08:11:35 AM »

Just as an aside.......

Following a period of less activity, I've noticed a recent flurry of new posts from dear AGD (and all most welcome by the way).

But, perhaps a detective might assume that this means he's recently finished some project?  Or other?  Hmmm?

Cool Guy
Sounds more like AGD had/has some personal crap to deal with and that has kept him away from this site and the BB in general. I too noticed his absence and am happy to see he is back.
BTW, any updates on Alan Boyd? Still in the hospital?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »

Honestly?  Try a quick Google search.... that's probably THE easiest unreleased Beach Boys album to find, outside of the various "Smile" bootlegs.  Hell, I found a "Landlocked" CD in a used CD store once.

The track list:
01) Loop De Loop
02) Susie Cincinnati
03) San Miguel
06) Carnival
07) I Just Got My Pay
08) Good Time
09) Big Sur
10) Lady
12) Lookin' At Tomorrow

Some boots add the Desper mix of "Til I Die" (or a medley of a rough, half-finished mix and the Desper mix) onto the end of the album... according to the liners on the version I bought, this song wasn't part of the album at all.

tbh this 'album' is pretty trash, i'm glad it was rejected. I would love to hear a clear version of Carnival/Over The Waves, San Miguel and Big Sur. The Landlocked version of Good Time is superior to the Love You version, sounds more relaxed, more echo, more psychedelic. The rest is mosly garbage though. When Girls Get Together is better than  the KTSA mix, but still nothing remarkable.
is there anyway i can get this album?

Use Google newguy,  Don't think talking about where to get bootlegs is kosher here.
i used google but the links are'nt official..it sucks because all you guys have the privilege of hearing these songs..i don't even know what they sound like :O

official? not sure what you mean by that...also, every one of those songs is on youtube.  start with big sur, and just listen to that glory for an hour (not the holland version).  here i'll get you started
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRG_fT3yOAU
wow this is amazing Smiley thanks alot but they don't have loop de loop :/

Loop D Loop is the worst song Al ever attempted. Glad Jack Reily got him off that sh*t. Worse than anything cocaine ever did to Brian and Dennis.

I used to think it was an abomination until I heard this mix which deals Al's contributions in moderation. I really think it becomes really, really good in this incarnation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oASUOjzLc6w

if one ever had to choose a version I'd probably go for that, but just as a novelty. Had this song been released the Beach Boys remaining critical and commercial standing would have imploded completely and they would not have been able to continue. they would have ceased to exist and just been another band who had a good shot then disappeared. that this song was never heard by anyone back then was the best thing that happened to them after 1967.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2012, 12:16:11 PM »

My realistic hope is that one day in the future there will be box of various live recordings from their 1964-1980 performances. With a focus on the deep cuts/current material. Such recordings must surely exist in some vault. Just needs some compilation ^^
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »

Just as an aside.......

Following a period of less activity, I've noticed a recent flurry of new posts from dear AGD (and all most welcome by the way).

But, perhaps a detective might assume that this means he's recently finished some project?  Or other?  Hmmm?

Cool Guy
Sounds more like AGD had/has some personal crap to deal with and that has kept him away from this site and the BB in general. I too noticed his absence and am happy to see he is back.
BTW, any updates on Alan Boyd? Still in the hospital?

After a tough three weeks, Alan is doing MUCH better.  I'm not sure how much more they want to be out there publicly, so I'll wait for others to provide specifics.  But the latest news is very good.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 02:00:53 PM »

That's great to hear. Give him our best, ok?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jason
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

Andrew, have you considered adding The Fragile Thread and David Marks' Low Key Intensity to the list?
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 03:38:37 PM »

Low Key Intensity??

*sigh*  Go ahead, tell me about it so I can add it to my friggin' endless discography....
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »

Honestly?  Try a quick Google search.... that's probably THE easiest unreleased Beach Boys album to find, outside of the various "Smile" bootlegs.  Hell, I found a "Landlocked" CD in a used CD store once.

The track list:
01) Loop De Loop
02) Susie Cincinnati
03) San Miguel
06) Carnival
07) I Just Got My Pay
08) Good Time
09) Big Sur
10) Lady
12) Lookin' At Tomorrow

Funny where you can find bootlegs.  20 years ago when visiting Bowling Green State University in Ohio, I went to their music library, they had a number of LP boots, and I was able to listen to them.  It has been 20 years, but Adult Child was one of them.
Jason
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »

Low Key Intensity??

*sigh*  Go ahead, tell me about it so I can add it to my friggin' endless discography....

It was supposed to be the follow-up to David's 2003 record Something Funny Goin' On. Apparently he worked on it for a while (even posted clips of the work in progress on his website) but stopped working on it. Some of the tracks that ended up on 2007's I Think About You Often were from that period but most likely were re-recorded. A few of the tracks as recorded for Low Key Intensity ended up on the 3-CD The Lost Years set. Carrie would probably know more about it.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2012, 09:42:32 AM »

Honestly?  Try a quick Google search.... that's probably THE easiest unreleased Beach Boys album to find, outside of the various "Smile" bootlegs.  Hell, I found a "Landlocked" CD in a used CD store once.

The track list:
01) Loop De Loop
02) Susie Cincinnati
03) San Miguel
06) Carnival
07) I Just Got My Pay
08) Good Time
09) Big Sur
10) Lady
12) Lookin' At Tomorrow

tbh this 'album' is pretty trash, i'm glad it was rejected. I would love to hear a clear version of Carnival/Over The Waves, San Miguel and Big Sur. The Landlocked version of Good Time is superior to the Love You version, sounds more relaxed, more echo, more psychedelic. The rest is mosly garbage though. When Girls Get Together is better than  the KTSA mix, but still nothing remarkable.

I, however, do love this collection, and, though Andrew is of course right that this was never regarded as a finished album and subsequently never was submitted, this would have been one of my favorite BB albums. Somehow I even like "WGGT" on there, while I hated it hearing it on KTSA. (I inserted "Games Two Can Play" into that tracklist before "Carnival", as that fits in there too.) And "I Just Got My Pay" is by far my favorite version of the melody that ended up as "Marcella".

TheLazenby, San Miguel is on the GV box set in a clear version.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jason
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »

Honestly, you could take the best of the Sunflower rejects, add Breakaway/Celebrate the News, and come up with a fine record.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »

Maybe this can help:

The track list:
01) Loop De Loop - Endless Harmony
02) Susie Cincinnati - GH Vol. 3 The Brother Years
03) San Miguel - GV Boxset
04) H.E.L.P. Is On The Way - GV Boxset
05) Take A Load Off Your Feet - Surf's Up
06) Carnival - N/A
07) I Just Got My Pay - GV Boxset
08) Good Time - Love You
09) Big Sur - N/A
10) Lady - Summer Love Songs
11) When Girls Get Together - KTSA
12) Lookin' At Tomorrow - Surf's Up
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 06:04:14 PM »

Maybe this can help:

The track list:
06) Carnival - N/A
08) Good Time - Love You
09) Big Sur - N/A
Thank you Smiley so I checked out all of them and Big Sur impressed me the most..It's a million times better than the Holland version imo..Now all I have to check out is Lady & Carnival (I'm really interested in this song because of the title of course.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:08:49 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 07:51:45 PM »

"Carnival" is a total waste, actually... nothing but filler.  It's the Boys singing a bad rendition of an old tune (which I can't remember the name of), layered with loads of phasing.  That's it.  It's about fifty seconds long.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »

"Carnival" is a total waste, actually... nothing but filler.  It's the Boys singing a bad rendition of an old tune (which I can't remember the name of), layered with loads of phasing.  That's it.  It's about fifty seconds long.
thank you for saving me time Smiley is there any songs that's on bootlegs or rare that are really great? because everything i checked out was so/so and pretty bad. :/..
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »

I've always been a big fan of "Loop De Loop"....
rogerlancelot
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »

Maybe this can help:

The track list:
06) Carnival - N/A
08) Good Time - Love You
09) Big Sur - N/A

One must remember that for the most part the commercially released product differs immensely from the early mixes that circulate as the Landlocked album. And those 12 tracks (plus the alternate "Til I Die") make for a fine listening experience.

@Lazenby: "Carnival" is also known as "Over The Waves".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »

I believe that the correct title of the Carnival track is "The Loveliest Time Of The Year". It's one of those songs that almost everybody knows, without really realizing it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:25 AM »

I believe that the correct title of the Carnival track is "The Loveliest Time Of The Year". It's one of those songs that almost everybody knows, without really realizing it.

Hi, Jay!  Smiley

According to Wikipedia:

The music for Over the Waves was used for the song The Loveliest Night of the Year, which was sung by Ann Blyth in MGM's film The Great Caruso.

We're both correct?
Jason
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »

Hi, Jay!  Smiley

According to Wikipedia:

The music for Over the Waves was used for the song The Loveliest Night of the Year, which was sung by Ann Blyth in MGM's film The Great Caruso.

We're both correct?

Just a warning...I really don't recommend doing that. BRI reads these boards, you know.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »

Don't recommend doing *what*?  Discussing "Carnival", a song that's been bootlegged for years and sucks anyway??

Anyway.... I repeat, what's this about a phantom self-titled LP? :-)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »

Don't recommend doing *what*?  Discussing "Carnival", a song that's been bootlegged for years and sucks anyway??

Anyway.... I repeat, what's this about a phantom self-titled LP? :-)

According to Gaines, in 1965 the band released an album entitled The Beach Boys.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx