gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:11:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 40: Darien Lakes Performing Arts Center - Darien Lakes, NY - 6/29/12  (Read 44787 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »

Facebook:

Brian Wilson
Brian's been digging the real-time concert posts Chris Stowell has been making on Brian's website message board – so he asked Chris to be his guest at last night's show in New Jersey and to hang out backstage. How cool is that!

Brian has been digging the posts on his board?  Riiiiight..
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 10:15:27 AM »

message board you say? what's that?!!!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2012, 10:46:04 AM »

Facebook:

Brian Wilson
Brian's been digging the real-time concert posts Chris Stowell has been making on Brian's website message board – so he asked Chris to be his guest at last night's show in New Jersey and to hang out backstage. How cool is that!

I'm totally photo-shopping my head into this pic...and untucking the shirt..... me jealous, yo... I'd better start posting on Brian's board again pronto....
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »

Just saw an ebay listing for two vip seats for $75, if anyone wants them: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Beach-Boys-Concert-Tickets-/280910424953?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item416790eb79

Ohh....this is so enticing. But guy has a 7 feedback. What if I get there and the PDF of the ticket don't work? Long way to drive to realize I've been had.  Cry

He might just be saying they're "VIP" tickets, just because they're close to the stage.  Notice how he says VERY close to the stage.  If they were VIP he would have just stated that they were front row, you know?

There's something in all of that, but VIP "packages" can go back thru the 15th row. And I have no clue what he really has, but if it was me, I'd do some questioning as to what it is and decide before jumping in. It could be a GREAT Deal, who knows?  Of course, hard to imagine selling 2 $175 ( or more) tickets for $75...
>>Each Beach Boys VIP Tour Package includes:
One reserved ticket in rows 2-15*
Specially designed tour t-shirt
Collectible tour poster (limited, numbered)
Commemorative ticket
Exclusive tour tote bag
On-site VIP host<<

The VIP packages are non-transferable.  If you are not the person who bought it, and don't have that person's id at check in, I don't think they are going to let you in.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

I know it's been discussed in other threads and I have read mixed things, but what is the situation with bringing cameras in to the show?  I'd like to get some nice shots with my "real" digital camera, not my lousy cell phone camera.  I don't want to risk getting it confiscated though.

It is a venue rule, not a band rule.  Every venue is going to be different

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »

Facebook:

Brian Wilson

This photo is EXCELLENT! Perhaps the best of Brian with a fan I've seen. Brian looks exactly like his young old self only ........much older.......which he is and that's great. A rare glimpse of Brian he rarely lets us see. Seeing Brian's smile in that picture and listening to the new suite is really something only the folks like us here can grasp. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »

TAYLOR MILLS IS HERE!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

TAYLOR MILLS IS HERE!
Lucky!

SG7
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »

I wonder if this has anything to do with Nicky Wonder leaving the tour...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:50 PM »

wow, Wonder if it's just a once off

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 07:16:39 PM »

Can someone please explain....is Taylor Mills just attending the show or is she joining the band on stage for a few numbers or what?

Also, why would that have something to do with Nicky Wonder leaving the tour?  I thought it was reported he was ill.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SG7
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »

Also, why would that have something to do with Nicky Wonder leaving the tour?  I thought it was reported he was ill.

Yes, but I am just purely speculating. Maybe they need another voice to fill the gap?
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »

Doubtful. They've got like seventeen voices up there as is.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

Just got home! I'll just give a quick report because it's quite late.  Taylor joined the band for Marcella, and did a phenomenal job.  She added so much to the song, and sang a beautiful introduction.  She then joined the band for the encore.  I talked to Taylor before the concert and during intermission, she's such a great person to talk to.  Before Marcella, while introducing Taylor, Brian mentioned she just had a baby.  Well, talking to Taylor during intermission, I congratulated her on her baby.  She proceeded to tell me she has not had a baby, that Brian just randomly said that, and he must have thought that she had a child. She told me she had left Brian's band for family reasons, so she said that maybe that was why Brian assumed she had a baby  LOL  In any event, she told me this was the only concert she would be singing with the band and attending.  She said she flew in from Texas, and that the plan would be to join Brian's band following the end of the anniversary tour should he tour solo.  She said, jokingly, she would have a petition for her to re-join Brian's band. 

She told me that there were so many people on stage, that the band really didn't need another voice.  But boy, did she do amazing on Marcella.  I have a clip of it, but I didn't manage to record the truly phenomenal part, though I will post what I have later.  She was wonderful to talk to though, and talked with me for around ten minutes during intermission.  For the rest of the concert she sat five rows in front of me before the encore!

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »

Brian introduced Taylor before she helpd sing "Marcella."  She then rejoined the group for "Fun, Fun, Fun."  Group's only real downer, for mr was the title track to the new LP.  It just came off a little flat, though the other song featured from the new disc, "Isn't It Time," sounded fab.  Great show.  Brian even wiggled and boogied it a bit with his bass during the encore.  He "conducted" the musicians more than a couple of times, and goofed off with Mike, kind of horse-playinh around either just before or right after standing with the whole band and giving us a big bow.  As before, Brian was really animated during  "Sail On Sailor."  Brian really sounded great throughout.  Al sounded strong and clear.  "Good Vibrations" brought the house down.  2am after a lot of driving, so I'm off to bed.  Sorry, didn't jot down the setlist, though I'm certain someone here must have.

Oh, and experiencing "Heroes and Villains" live was just... wow!

No "Prayer."

Edit: Whoops, Zach beat me to the Taylor info, but good for him, because I certainly didn't get to hang out with her.  Yeah, the baby stuff.  Um, that's pretty funny. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:03:33 PM by Generation42 » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »

No Prayer, but Good Timin', Marcella, Come Go With Me, and Wendy made up for it, in my mind. Those were all songs I hadn't heard in Saratoga.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »

Fireworks during "IJWMFTT" was almost surreal, and did you notice, Zach, that right at the end of "Forever," as folks were cheering loudly for Dennis, the fireworks' grand finale began to erupt.  Somehow appropriate.  Almost like a touch from beyond.

Let me stop now, I'm obviously over-tired.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »

Fireworks during "IJWMFTT" was almost surreal, and did you notice, Zach, that right at the end of "Forever," as folks were cheering loudly for Dennis, the fireworks' grand finale began to erupt.  Somehow appropriate.  Almost like a touch from beyond.

Wait, fireworks? I didn't hear any fireworks! I was fairly close to the sound system, thirteen rows back from the stage, and I guess I couldn't hear any fireworks over the music and the crowd.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:51 AM »

Brian must read this board. The only time I've ever heard anything about Taylor Mills being pregnant or having a baby was here.

I am so glad the band chooses to change up the setlist on this tour. They don't add something new every night, but they usually play stuff they didn't play the previous night. Lots of dates to add more songs, too and they've already played more than the 50 they rehearsed before the tour started.

No mas, por favor.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 12:15:50 AM »

When this tour started I never thought this band would be rotating this many songs for each show.  I really thought the setlists were locked in and they'd ride it out on autopilot.  I'm so happy I was wrong and they're keeping it fresh each show.  Totally impressed.
cekuhn
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:38 AM »

Wait, fireworks? I didn't hear any fireworks! I was fairly close to the sound system, thirteen rows back from the stage, and I guess I couldn't hear any fireworks over the music and the crowd.

The fireworks were perfect, and I saw a lot if people tear up during "Forever" and "God Only Knows"; it was a really beautiful moment.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 06:43:15 AM »

Yeah, it was great, cekuhn.  I'm glad you enjoyed it, too!  Zach, I was under the tent with you, but a little further back.  I heard a soft 'boom' off to my right during "IJWMFTT" and first thought that somone had hit a beach ball near my head. Smiley  I thought, "really, during this song?"  I admit that yeah, I felt like a curmudgeon for that, and decided that I wasn't made for these times, too.  Then when I heard it again, I looked over and saw a big green burst in the sky. Though the view for us with seats was clipped by being under the 'big top,' it had to have been quite the sight for eveybody up on the hill!

Oh, and allow me to offer a shout-out for Foskett.  He really was on point all night long.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:45:20 AM by Generation42 » Logged
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 07:04:49 AM »

The show was  incredible.  There were some sound issues during the first set, and I was a tad annoyed with the lack of blend with the vocals.  Zero bass guitar could be heard from where we were also.  It got better as the night went on.  Brian was Brian -- he appeared to be really uncomfortable up there, particularly while standing playing bass.  He motioned for one of the stage people to come take the guitar right at the end of the show.  It looked like his back was killing him.  He stood at the back of the stage with Taylor (who is incredibly hot still), shuffling from one leg to another.  Poor guy must be hurting. 

The surprise for me was Bruce.  Disney Girls sounded AMAZING.  I'm not normally a big fan of that song, but he freaking nailed it.  I swear his voice and Al's have not changed one bit.

We managed to make our way up to the front VIP area near the end of the show since no one was really enforcing anything at that point.  I was probably 20 feet from Brian.  Just incredible.  The whole thing was just surreal.  Here they are -- my musical idols -- onstage and performing.  Definitely one of the best shows I've ever been too.

I took a ton of photos, and I'll post a link soon.  I got really lucky with a few that came out really well.

Off topic -- $11 for a 24 oz can of Labatt Blue.  Insane!!!
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »

First time post but long time Message Board reader.
The Darien Center show Friday night was fantastic! Our group of 16 veteran Beach Boy fans (this was my 29th BB/BW concert and many in our group have either a few more or just less that number) hopped in a limo (although all from the Buffalo area) to go. We had seats in Sec. 202 (about 9 -10 rows up). The concert was well attended - a staffer said perhaps around 12,000. Before the concert you could see Brian sitting off stage right for probably a good 1/2 hour and as 8pm approached getting a back rub from someone first and then Jeff Foskett.
The guys sounded excellent - IMO this show could've been taped and gone straight to a DVD as is! The 1st part was similar to the Holmdel set list - with Marcella added and TWW dropped - and the arrangement of songs mixed a bit. (.I think the 1st 7 and last 6 songs stay pretty much steady.) The 2nd set was identical if memory serves correct (a couple pre and post concert beverages may raise a doubt!).
Yes, Taylor Mills was there and came on stage for Marcella, she did a killer into for it and had fun with Mike and Brian during the song. She came on stage again during the encore (for Barbara Ann or FX3, don't recall) and sand with Bruce.
Brian was totally engaged during the whole show - whether doing leads or active background vocals. I thought he was spot on throughout! Also really animated (for him). He "conducted" some vocal parts during add Some Music and raised his hand in the air in a circular motion during TWGMTR as if to simulate the air waves! Pretty neat. Strapped on the guitar at center stage for BA and FX3. Did a killer job on IJWMFTT  and SOS and picked up some verses in All This is That (suprised me there). One could not have asked for a better performance by him! Mike was strong throughout as usual and sometimes I wonder if we "forget" or underappreciate his performance because he is so steady. A great MC he keeps the concert moving. Al Jardine looks like he is having fun out there (they all do!). So good on Cottonfields, California, Come Go etc. Bruce did a great Disney Girls and Dave Marks (great guitar) was very good on Getcha Back  and the Pet Sounds instrumental. A great move to do that song and then go to ASM.  We thought that Isn't It Time was done very well (good song!) and TWGMTR too.
As per our group's custom, we did a "strut" in the aisle during Help Me Rhonda (sorry  Paul that we didnt watch the sax solo!) (When we did it last year at Massey Hall, Nelson Bragg's daughter(?) joined us.

As someone noted, the park's fireworks went off just about when IJWMFTT finished and during the 1st set there was a great sunset red sky stage left.

Finally a few words about the band. Jeff Foskett does a great job (great DWB) and his contributions are greatly appreciated.  John Cowsill may be the hardest working drummer on tour given the 47 or so songs they run through and Nelson Bragg is a joy to watch with his energy. Paul M. s so solid on all that he does  as are Scott, Gregory, and Mike D. (hope I didn't leave anyone out!).

Thanks to the group for an excellent show and good luck the rest of the tour!
smyleysmyle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »

Hey BB Universe -- we were in 202 Row 7, seats 1 and 2!  You must have been part of the group right behind us.  Great show.  Someone handed me a business card and asked me to send him the photos I took.  Not sure if that was part of your group. 

So here's what I have of photos, some bad, lots good:

http://photobucket.com/bb50darienlake

Enjoy all!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx