gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681552 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 12, 2024, 11:18:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone on the Mike/Bruce South American Shows  (Read 16963 times)
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626

Does anybody else find the wording in this headline and article to be slightly misleading, or at best, stirring the pot?  It's like RS is just trying to stir up drama in the Beach Boys world. 

And if you're a Mike Love defender, don't read the reader comments for this piece as they'll piss you off.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:47 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626

Does anybody else find the wording in this headline and article to be slightly misleading, or at best, stirring the pot?  It's like RS is just trying to stir up drama in the Beach Boys world. 

And if you're a Mike Love defender, don't read the reader comments for this piece as they'll piss you off.

Do you think The Beach Boys actually care?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »

"Stirring the pot?" Yes and no.

It is perhaps slightly too soon to write that kind of article, mind. If they'd booked a few dates (which at least, the Nutty Jerry's spokesman seems to suggest that that's what they've been trying) it'd be more like 'news.'

Slow day at the RS office?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 07:28:00 AM »

Do you think The Beach Boys actually care?

Well, I guess not. According to the article, Brian's response was "news to me," and then started in on how much he's enjoying the tour...so maybe it doesn't phase him at all.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 07:30:44 AM »

Adds Wilson, "As for me, the tour is going great. I'm having a blast. I love watching the Boys on stage. That's Why God Made the Radio charted at Number Three! Can you believe a Number Three album?"

Good to see Brian enjoying the success of the album!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 07:32:25 AM »

i like what chuck powell said
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »

Slow day at the RS office?

This.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 07:39:30 AM »

i like what chuck powell said

Thanks, That would be me.  I thought I'd try to inject some reason before the Mike bashing got out of hand.  And I'm no Mike Love apologist, either, I could just see that comment thread becoming another ridiculous "Mike=Evil, Brian=God" kinda thing.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:09 AM »

Slow news days indeed..

Do they Brian on speed dial?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »

Most things the Beach Boys say in interviews you can take with a grain of salt. However, one thing I believe to be true. Mike Love has said for about the last 35 years that....Any time Brian wants to sit down and write songs with Mike OR any time he wants to sit in with the band for a concert, HE IS WELCOMED.

If Brian Wilson wants to continue touring with the band after the reunion dates, or if he wants to choose selective dates to sit in, I am absolutely sure Mike (or whoever) will find a place for Brian and his piano.

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 08:00:20 AM »

Most things the Beach Boys say in interviews you can take with a grain of salt. However, one thing I believe to be true. Mike Love has said for about the last 35 years that....Any time Brian wants to sit down and write songs with Mike OR any time he wants to sit in with the band for a concert, HE IS WELCOMED.

If Brian Wilson wants to continue touring with the band after the reunion dates, or if he wants to choose selective dates to sit in, I am absolutely sure Mike (or whoever) will find a place for Brian and his piano.

Well said.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:25 AM »

This is the deal: Mike can't -- and shouldn't -- have it both ways. For as long as I (or any journalist) has been talking with him, he's been pining for Brian's return. It's been a benchmark of every interview he's given over the past decade -- even during the most viscous of legal disputes against his cousin and his management. Well, in 2012 Mike finally got his wish -- he got Brian back. True, the new LP is devoid of any true Wilson/Love collaborations, but Mike has Brian back -- along with show stealing David Marks and a revitalized Al Jardine, who's finally learned how to work a crowd and enjoy performing during his long hiatus away. Regardless of having the best sounding shows since '74/'75, amazing attendance at credible venues, a Top Three album, major press by every respected outfit across the globe, Mike Love is losing money. In addition to losing money, he conceded a massive amount of power to Melinda Wilson. We all joke here about how and when they'll f uck it up -- THIS is how. Now, I could be wrong, these could be a few one-off shows in-between further plans TBA -- but Bruce Johnston has been (almost gleefully) quite vocal about this scenario since BEFORE the tour even started.

The bottom line is this: In the "modern age" the Beach Boys have never been cooler, more relevant, sounding better, more respected than they are now. If Mike wants to blow this and go back to being a scaled back carny band in secondary markets for the extra few dollars and head cheese position, he will never be forgiven. If this thing ends with Mike Love rejecting Brian Wilson and the quality of the combined band they've assembled now for something LESS, his place in history is sullied forever.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »

This is the deal: Mike can't -- and shouldn't -- have it both ways. For as long as I (or any journalist) has been talking with him, he's been pining for Brian's return. It's been a benchmark of every interview he's given over the past decade -- even during the most viscous of legal disputes against his cousin and his management. Well, in 2012 Mike finally got his wish -- he got Brian back. True, the new LP is devoid of any true Wilson/Love collaborations, but Mike has Brian back -- along with show stealing David Marks and a revitalized Al Jardine, who's finally learned how to work a crowd and enjoy performing during his long hiatus away. Regardless of having the best sounding shows since '74/'75, amazing attendance at credible venues, a Top Three album, major press by every respected outfit across the globe, Mike Love is losing money. In addition to losing money, he conceded a massive amount of power to Melinda Wilson. We all joke here about how and when they'll f uck it up -- THIS is how. Now, I could be wrong, these could be a few one-off shows in-between further plans TBA -- but Bruce Johnston has been (almost gleefully) quite vocal about this scenario since BEFORE the tour even started.

The bottom line is this: In the "modern age" the Beach Boys have never been cooler, more relevant, sounding better, more respected than they are now. If Mike wants to blow this and go back to being a scaled back carny band in secondary markets for the extra few dollars and head cheese position, he will never be forgiven. If this thing ends with Mike Love rejecting Brian Wilson and the quality of the combined band they've assembled now for something LESS, his place in history is sullied forever.

Agreed. Thank you.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

If these dates were booked before the 50th Celebration tour dates, then almost everything you just said is irrelevant. 

I don't like the idea of Mike/Bruce as the Beach Boys after this tour either, but if they already had these dates booked, I don't think they should be cancelled.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 08:55:31 AM »

Those dates could easily be postponed or even canceled.

Oh, here's an idea. Why not take the 50th Tour to South America? Something is very wrong here.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »

you're being alarmists.  Let's just wait and see what happens.

Enjoy the reunion while it's happening, and if it picks up again next year, let's enjoy it then too. And if Mike/Bruce do some shows in between, fine.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

I see almost no possible way that Mike Love is losing money on this tour. He's going from playing 2,000 capacity venues to 20,000 capacity venues with tickets as much as 2x the price. Even with splitting the top end money five ways rather than four ways and the backup band money ten ways rather than five, and taking tour buses/trailers of equipment/first class rather than coach + guitars he's still got to be making more money on this tour than previous Mike/Bruce tours.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 09:05:11 AM »

It already is-"The Most Hated Man In Rock and Roll".
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:37 AM »

1. The sh*t was stirred in this very board days before RS did.

2. No one on this board, including insiders and super fans, seems to have a clue if the South America dates were booked before this tour. Probably they were, in which case the discussion is pointless.

3. Ouch. But I guess Howie is right about Mr. Jardine.

4. Bruce is outspoken and candid. He says many things. But he'll jump into the bandwagon he is asked to, as a good soldier. Remember that up until a year ago he claimed he'd watch a reunion from the audience.

5. Can't we enjoy the rest of the C50 peacefully, without sending Mike Love to rock and roll hell for things we know sh*t about?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »

Howie's plugged in. I'd believe him. He also may simply mean that Mike's making less money than he would be if he was touring with Bruce. That is easy to believe.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 09:21:55 AM »

Howie's plugged in. I'd believe him. He also may simply mean that Mike's making less money than he would be if he was touring with Bruce. That is easy to believe.

I'd like to see how though. 2,000 x $25-$50/2 =/= 5,000-20,000 x $50-$425/5 unless Brian is taking half the money. Sure, bigger venues mean bigger overhead, and a bigger backing band + set + crew take a good chunk of money, but also add in record sales from the new album and I have absolutely no idea how Mike could be losing money on this tour/reunion.

If tonight's Boston show had been played at the Cape Cod Melody Tent like a Mike/Bruce show would have, it would be a capacity of 2000 with tickets averaging around $50. That's $100,000 before venue, crew, travel, tour manager.

Tonight's BOA Pavillion show has a capacity of 5,000 (one of the smallest on the tour) and lets say the average ticket price is $100 (which includes the VIP), that equals $500,000. At the very least Mike is breaking even on the tour, and is making even more based on album sales.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:20 AM »

Oh, here's an idea. Why not take the 50th Tour to South America? Something is very wrong here.

If they *did* have them booked, what would be 'very wrong' is to break a contract with a promoter, deprive an audience of a show they'd enjoy, and deprive Tim Bonhomme and Randell Kirsch of a job they've been promised (and have maybe turned other work down for).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 09:32:41 AM »

Well, if your priority is employing Tim Bonhomme (who is already employed on this tour!) and Randell Kirsch over your incredibly successful renewed collaboration with one of the greatest artists recorded sound has ever seen, go for it! But expect people to bitch. Especially with reports of Brian enjoying himself, wanting to continue this, and declaring the SA stuff "news to me."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:49:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 09:36:20 AM »

If they *did* have them booked, what would be 'very wrong' is to break a contract with a promoter, deprive an audience of a show they'd enjoy, and deprive Tim Bonhomme and Randell Kirsch of a job they've been promised (and have maybe turned other work down for).

A deal could be worked out with those involved. Postponing those dates would work. Don't you think the fans in South America would rather see the 50th Anniversary show instead of the Mike & Bruce show???
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »

I refuse to believe Mike is "making less money", that is almost impossible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx