gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will you go and see Mike's Beach Boys after the 50th Anniversary tour ends?  (Read 19142 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »

I'm pretty curious to know what some of these musicians will do after this tour. Brian might want to keep doing it for another year, but would they?

I think the guys like to work.

From my interactions with the band, I have the impression that none of them makes a particularly luxurious living. Several have or had day jobs, and not all in music, either. Some have guested with the Jan and Dean group and done BW/BB tributes as well.

(Also, the Wondermints essentially broke up five or six years ago.)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2012, 04:20:10 AM »

Don't you know the rules? When comparing touring bands, you have to use 2002 as the base, when Brian's band were doing long, interesting sets full of songs like Til I Die and Busy Doin' Nothin', while Mike's band had Adrian Baker and Mike Kowalski in it and was doing shorter sets of only surf songs.

If you actually let in any information from after 2002 you might take the side of the Evil Mike Love in something, and then where would you be?

...Or you can look at more recent stuff like fall 2008, when Brian was playing his entire new album and Mike and Bruce were playing four to six songs from after 1966.

Just because it's not as clear-cut as it was ten years ago doesn't mean Brian isn't still more likely to do the farther-out stuff.

Personally, though, I'd be entirely happy to go and see Mike and Bruce again -- their orchestral show at the Sydney Opera House showed they were a hell of a good band.  I wouldn't be as desperate to go see them as I am when Brian's in town, though...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jon, what you say is true, but you didn't mention the part where a couple of years ago Brian was doing the greatest hits package, while Mike & Bruce were adding more deep cuts stuff to their shows. Look, all three factions do the greatest hits. When you have as many hits as The Beach Boys had, the majority of each show will be like that. I've been to enough shows since 1969 to know that they all play to their audience. It is what keeps fannies in the seats.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »

Apparently Rolling Stone picked this story up too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mike-love-books-beach-boys-shows-without-brian-wilson-20120626
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

Thanks for posting. Just read it.

Oh, great. Brian's having "a Blast". He's really happy about TWGMTR being #3.  He's apparently ready for a NEW Beach Boys album. The 50th tour looks as if it could be extended. And Mike is going to screw things up.

I AM a true Beach Boy fan. This is bad. I hope Brian takes Al and Dave and sues Mike for use of the Beach Boy name!!!   Angry Angry Angry Shocked
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »

Thanks for posting. Just read it.

Oh, great. Brian's having "a Blast". He's really happy about TWGMTR being #3.  He's apparently ready for a NEW Beach Boys album. The 50th tour looks as if it could be extended. And Mike is going to screw things up.

I AM a true Beach Boy fan. This is bad. I hope Brian takes Al and Dave and sues Mike for use of the Beach Boy name!!!   Angry Angry Angry Shocked

Overreact much?

There's still a strong chance we'll get more material from Brian and the Boys, as well as more concerts next year...read the Ray Lawlor thread and other things that talk about how much BW is enjoying all this. 

It's not necessarily all over because Mike/Bruce and do a few dates in South America. It could be over, but it's not a certainty.

Let's just keep calm, carry on, and enjoy the reunion while it's happening.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »

It seems like the South American dates were booked before the reunion tour.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »

By all means enjoy the reunion. Please! You're all in for a real treat!  Wink

It's pretty much over for us in the states so I'm just thinking of the future. There could be a second leg of the 50th tour but....

I hope Mike and the group start talking to each other. It sounds like there is no communication. Why wouldn't Brian know about the South American dates? Those dates could be postponed or canceled. You could take the 50th Tour to South America.

Maybe we thought that Brian was tired and glad the tour was ending. That's apparently not the case. Good for Brian!!!

Tell me whats more important: Extending the 50th tour or booking/keeping dates with your own band in South America???  Evil  Thud
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:29:18 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »

I remember seeing Mike's band on television and feeling so sad and embarrassed that this is what had become of the Beach Boys.  Obviously since the majority of the current band belongs to Brian, Mike is going to have to assemble a new one and if it's anything like his last one, then no thanks.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »

I remember seeing Mike's band on television and feeling so sad and embarrassed that this is what had become of the Beach Boys.  Obviously since the majority of the current band belongs to Brian, Mike is going to have to assemble a new one and if it's anything like his last one, then no thanks.
I know! So bad, that some were saying their shows were as good as Brian's. I didn't realize Brian's band were the new Beach Boys. BTW, TV mixes generally suck, so I wouldn't base a judgment from a TV show.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

I know! So bad, that some were saying their shows were as good as Brian's. I didn't realize Brian's band were the new Beach Boys. BTW, TV mixes generally suck, so I wouldn't base a judgment from a TV show.

Okay, but I still have no interest in seeing them.  They're just a nostalgia/oldies act and they aren't a band.  They're Mike Love's backing musicians.  They call themselves the Beach Boys when they have no right to do so.  They are NOT the Beach Boys.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:44 PM »

Okay, but I still have no interest in seeing them.  They're just a nostalgia/oldies act and they aren't a band.  They're Mike Love's backing musicians.  They call themselves the Beach Boys when they have no right to do so.  They are NOT the Beach Boys.
Absolutely! And Brian and his band should be The Beach Boys with Myke and Brewcee having to ask Brian for his permission to perform with  him for a sideman's cut.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »

Absolutely! And Brian and his band should be The Beach Boys with Myke and Brewcee having to ask Brian for his permission to perform with  him for a sideman's cut.

No.  Brian shouldn't call himself the Beach Boys either.  The Beach Boys are all of them collectively.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind if they toured as Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys.  But they are not THE Beach Boys.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

I remember seeing Mike's band on television and feeling so sad and embarrassed that this is what had become of the Beach Boys.  Obviously since the majority of the current band belongs to Brian, Mike is going to have to assemble a new one and if it's anything like his last one, then no thanks.

Okay, but I still have no interest in seeing them.  They're just a nostalgia/oldies act and they aren't a band.  They're Mike Love's backing musicians.  They call themselves the Beach Boys when they have no right to do so.  They are NOT the Beach Boys.
I care not your personal reasons for not seeing them, their yours and yours only. I was balancing out your feelings/incorrect assumptions. Mike pays to call himself and his band The Beach Boys, so in fact, he does have rights. Please don't mix up your feelings with the actual facts. As Curly once elegantly stated "Truth is stranger than fiction, judgy, wudgy."

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »

The Beach Boys are whatever the Beach Boys want the Beach Boys to be. and a lot of the time, that's Mike, Bruce, and some dudes in their 40s and 50s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »

I remember seeing Mike's band on television and feeling so sad and embarrassed that this is what had become of the Beach Boys.  Obviously since the majority of the current band belongs to Brian, Mike is going to have to assemble a new one and if it's anything like his last one, then no thanks.

Okay, but I still have no interest in seeing them.  They're just a nostalgia/oldies act and they aren't a band.  They're Mike Love's backing musicians.  They call themselves the Beach Boys when they have no right to do so.  They are NOT the Beach Boys.
I care not your personal reasons for not seeing them, their yours and yours only. I was balancing out your feelings/incorrect assumptions. Mike pays to call himself and his band The Beach Boys, so in fact, he does have rights. Please don't mix up your feelings with the actual facts. As Curly once elegantly stated "Truth is stranger than fiction, judgy, wudgy."
I think we all know Myke Luhv has the license and pays for it. Well, license schmicense-Myke and Brew calling themselves the Beach boys  borders on insanity. Most people haven't a clue who both of them are. Collectively,sure, but if one surviving founder has the right to call himself the BBs, it's Brian for sure. And yes, I know that BW gets compensated for every Myke show.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »

No. I want to remember all of them as one entity together, as my generation's Beach Boys, from the second row dead center. I will never go see any of them again, regardless of the lineup or name.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »

No. I want to remember all of them as one entity together, as my generation's Beach Boys, from the second row dead center. I will never go see any of them again, regardless of the lineup or name.

Hardcore.

I honestly don't know. I never really had the itch to go see Mike & Bruce as I have Brian. Was strangely ok with missing them at Epsom last year, f'instance. I'm never impressed at anything I've seen of them. The band's too small, and the harmonies and instrumentation really suffers. Whereas Brian's organisation seemed to understand that you need a big band for this kind of stuff.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

I think we all know Myke Luhv has the license and pays for it. Well, license schmicense-Myke and Brew calling themselves the Beach boys  borders on insanity. Most people haven't a clue who both of them are. Collectively,sure, but if one surviving founder has the right to call himself the BBs, it's Brian for sure. And yes, I know that BW gets compensated for every Myke show.

And Brian agreed to it. Brian does not want to be called the Beach Boys.  I'm sure if he did Melinda would have been right on it.  More to the point, he doesn't want to travel over 150 days a year to represent the Beach Boys.  If that's insanity, well, Brian once called a solo record of his "Sweet Insanity" so you can call him whatever you want.  Also, that licensing fee might be hefty.  One of the reasons The Monkees ended their reunion tour early is because the guys themselves weren't making enough money for their hard touring work.  Their ticket prices were high but they had to pay high licensing fees to whatever group owns the name The Monkees.  Every time Mike played as the Beach Boys it was a ka-ching to Brian and Al and if they don't want to have a 150 date a year touring schedule but want the money it brings in, more power to them.  If the Brianistas and Alanistas don't want to go, then don't go.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if people are taking the music waaaaaaaay too seriously or perhaps I'm not taking the music seriously enough?   I don't disagree with anyone's descriptions of the two bands.  I know what to expect when I see Brian and I know what to expect when I see the Mike/Bruce show...and I still enjoy both.  I honestly can't have just one.  I'd rather have Brian sing "God Only Knows" than Christian Love singing it and I'd rather have Mike sing "Fun, Fun, Fun" rather than Brian.  And as others have said, I just want to hear these songs being performed by the guys who's voices were on the record.  Considering they're not going to be around forever, now isn't the time to skip seeing them if they come through your city.  That's the way I see it, at least.  
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

I could swear I read somewhere the license was up for renewal next year. Is that right?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »

Hardcore.

I honestly don't know. I never really had the itch to go see Mike & Bruce as I have Brian. Was strangely ok with missing them at Epsom last year, f'instance. I'm never impressed at anything I've seen of them. The band's too small, and the harmonies and instrumentation really suffers. Whereas Brian's organisation seemed to understand that you need a big band for this kind of stuff.

The Beach Boys in any incarnation from the beginning through last year never traveled with a backup band like Brian put together for his solo career. You can't just lay that on Mike's post Carl band. In 69 I saw the Beach Boys with I think, only Ed Carter for a backup band and it was a great show. Brian was the exception and we are now spoiled. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »

Good point. I always thought the ensembles in the 70's were pretty huge though - Various Dragons on keys, Hinsche, Carter, Meros, percussionists, two drumkits, synths, horns, keyboards everywhere, Blondie & Ricky for a time.....

In any event, we are talking about quite some time before I was born.  Grin

I don't mean to say M&B don't give the music any respect by saying that though. But it's a difference of opinion in how the music should be presented between the two camps. And, arguably, Mike's wallet has a say in that (the odd symphonic show aside).

I think my gut is telling me I am one of those people who doesn't believe it's really The Beach Boys unless there's a Wilson on stage. But then, I wouldn't see The Beach Boys without Mike either.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:12:42 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2012, 04:15:30 PM »

I could swear I read somewhere the license was up for renewal next year. Is that right?

If it is, I'm sure it will be revisited if any parties are unhappy with it.  It also takes Carl's family into account.  Isn't BRI Brian, Mike, Al, & Carl's family?  Do any of those four have more power than the others, or are they all equal?  In other words, what happens if it's two against two?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »

Why can't we just let these guys sing and play their music wherever, whenever, and in whatever configuration they wish while they are still on earth to do so? As much as I'm sure they love their fans, (aside from the scary geeks like us) I think they do it first and foremost for themselves, their families, their bank accounts, their egos. It's simply what they do and why stop if there is an audience for it, be it a massive stadium, an intimate theater or a state fair.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »

I think we all know Myke Luhv has the license and pays for it. Well, license schmicense-Myke and Brew calling themselves the Beach boys  borders on insanity. [/quote]

A guy who deliberately refuses to spell Mike Love's name right making pronouncements about insanity.  I love this board sometimes...

Heh,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx