gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 12:32:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Was The Biggest Loss To Music? (Death) :/  (Read 6991 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 08:17:54 PM »

BUDDY HOLLY

but what about Ritchie Valens?

Kid was only 17 years old and off to a crackin' start!
yes that's a shame :/ ever see a movie about his life/death called "La Bamba"?
zep tepi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

One musician who went much too soon that I have yet to see mentioned is Elliott Smith. I've spent a lot of time thinking of his progression as an artist, as it was so interesting and unique. From his first records, you can tell he has something to say and an everlasting mark to make on music, only it's hard to pinpoint where & how. He then very quickly evolves his songs into something more mystique and complex with "Either/Or", mastering a tone during that era that I have yet to hear since. He then progresses to an era of shimmering pop arrangements with "XO", and explores that area further by using the studio as a classroom for himself a la Brian Wilson, which culminates in "Figure 8". The stuff he was working on prior to his death was completely different from what he had ever done, a completely natural progression that took pop, rock, and experimentation with intense beauty and real soul and emotion to a sonic paradise. I think in a bizarro universe where he's alive, he released that completely original and new music to massive critical acclaim, but continued to fly under the radar, and continues down a path of innovation in pop & rock. To see where he would have taken music is an interesting thought to ponder. I really do think the posthumous album "From a Basement on a Hill", and all his unreleased post-Figure 8 material, will be appreciated on a much deeper level years down the road. While he was a really great guitarist, I think he'll be remembered more as an innovative artist as a whole.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 09:59:06 PM »

Chris Bell
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

John could've brought us more John & Yoko albums Smiley lol..
No but seriously I think Lennon contributed enough for Rock & Roll..It seems his music was getting weaker as time went on :/ as crazy as it sounds and with all due respect I think him dying helped his career and legacy.
I find that comment repulsive. f*** I hate some of the sh*t you post, threads you start etc.
John Lennon's MURDER helped his career??? What sane person would think that?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »

No but seriously I think Lennon contributed enough for Rock & Roll..It seems his music was getting weaker as time went on :/ as crazy as it sounds and with all due respect I think him dying helped his career and legacy.
I find that comment repulsive. f*** I hate some of the sh*t you post, threads you start etc.

It's the truth..though I love Lennon's music and The Beatles..I feel that John passing away at that time helped his legacy .."It's better to burn out than fade away".
We all know his yoko ono songs we're gonna be the best or even in the same league as his 70's stuff...
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »

Besides with all the obvious ones - I don't think he's been mentioned, Eddie Cochran...

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 11:23:18 PM »

It's the truth..though I love Lennon's music and The Beatles..I feel that John passing away at that time helped his legacy .."It's better to burn out than fade away".
We all know his yoko ono songs we're gonna be the best or even in the same league as his 70's stuff...

It is not the TRUTH!! It is your opinion. John is a BEATLE, his "career" will last forever.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 12:05:56 AM »

It is not the TRUTH!! It is your opinion. John is a BEATLE, his "career" will last forever.
John isn't just a beatle he is one of the most influential people of the 20th century!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 02:50:27 AM »

Chris Bell

Absolutely. The compilation of his unreleased studio sessions/etc from the 70's is such an eye opener.

Man, the story of Big Star depresses me. By rights, they should have been huge.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 03:28:47 AM »

I suppose this means at the time of death who had most potential. Brian Jones sticks out as he was getting his life and music back together in his last few months. Lennon if only how cool it would have been to have a complete Beatles for Anthology. Plus I think he would have continued to surprise us. Moon I'm not sure if he could have done much more, like Dennis he was pretty far gone. Elvis wasn't in good shape but he could never be completely counted out as his last tour of 1976 shows. Carl it would have been interesting to see how the Beach Boys story would have went since 1998, but I don't feel he would have had any real gems as a writer. As a singer it's way different. Michael Jackson's iffy, This Is It is good but who known if he would have made a great album. Preferably one that harked back to the R&B he was so good at in the late sixties, seventies and early eighties. He made too many "statement" songs later or anthems if you will. Jim Morrison and Hendrix probably still had some very good stuff in them yet. Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye may have too though I'm not sure where they would have gone. Rick Nelson may have done some good things in the future as may have Roy Oribison.

Still it's the rockers of the fifties who died young that I think really would have done interesting stuff. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Eddie Cochran, they hardly got going and yet they made some very iconic records.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »

Gershwin, yeah...(slaps head)...why didn't I think of that? He was what, only 29? I bet he had massive libraries of music left in him.

Then Buddy Holly. Then Lennon.

Mmmmmaybe the Del Rubio triplets, downed before their prime. Their legs hadn't even started to wrinkle yet.
SBonilla
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »

bix beiderbecke
scott joplin
hank williams
charlie christian
bob marley
buddy holly
robert johnson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 02:06:14 PM »

Gershwin and Buddy. Thread complete. You may close it up now.

Newguy is 14 years old. Give him a break. Cry
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »

Gershwin, yeah...(slaps head)...why didn't I think of that? He was what, only 29? I bet he had massive libraries of music left in him.

Yeah, just thinking where he would have gone - he was a genius and barely out of the gate!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »

I think Lowell George should count too.

I've never really warmed up to Little Feet but I've always respected Lowell and have the feeling he was really just getting started.....
lilduff90
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »

Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Kurt Cobain, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Michael Hutchence, Wolfgang Mozart, and the king of the Delta Blues; mr Robert Johnson.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 08:28:48 PM »

Chris Bell

Absolutely. The compilation of his unreleased studio sessions/etc from the 70's is such an eye opener.

Man, the story of Big Star depresses me. By rights, they should have been huge.

They are huge...to us....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »

John isn't just a beatle he is one of the most influential people of the 20th century!
And his Death made him so??? Don't think so..

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:56 PM »

And his Death made him so??? Don't think so..
his death made him bigger...
MBE
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2012, 01:41:04 AM »

Hank Williams is a good choice.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »

Hank Williams is a good choice.

f*** yeah. Forgot about him.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx