gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:55:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Simon? Paul Simon.  (Read 3251 times)
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »

Any fans of Paul Simon round here? I've heard his music my whole life, and I've spent the afternoon with his music on shuffle.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

Love him. Only he could do a song about Kodachrome and make it awesome. LOL
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »

I haven't investigated his solo stuff. Where should I start? I know a couple of the hits.

If it helps any, I love the Bridge Over Troubled Water album, and consider the S&G single "Fakin' It" to be a masterpiece.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »

Graceland. It's a monster record, still.

But almost all of his solo records are good -- I might avoid One Trick Pony and The Capeman (one's a soundtrack and the other songs from a Broadway show). Other than that, though, there's not really a bad place to start.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:26:14 AM »

I haven't investigated his solo stuff. Where should I start? I know a couple of the hits.

If it helps any, I love the Bridge Over Troubled Water album, and consider the S&G single "Fakin' It" to be a masterpiece.

I'd start with the self-titled one from like, 1971 or something - Really, really good.

And, yeah, Graceland. Believe the hype.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:50:40 AM »

Big fan here.  One of my heroes that inspired me to write my own music.  Finally got around to seeing him live during his last tour behind his fantastic album, "So Beautiful Or So What."  Amazing songwriting there.  And he puts on a splendid show. 

Love this track from the album "Hearts and Bones"...

"Train In The Distance"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mgNHd0UayQ
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »

I'm a huge Paul Simon fan.

I'd start with Graceland, Rhythm of the Saints and Live in Central Park. Well, those are my three favorites anyway.

His first few solo albums and his last few are all excellent, as well.

Like another poster mentioned, the only things worth avoiding are probably One Trick Pony and The Capemen.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll check out those albums.

Does anyone know if there's a version of "Song For The Asking" with a clean intro? Every copy I've come across has the applause before it from "Bye, Bye Love".

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

Like another poster mentioned, the only things worth avoiding are probably One Trick Pony...

Which is a shame...one of the tightest rhythm groups ever assembled is on that record!  Some great tunes on that one...a pure deep cut of an album and personal favorite.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »

Like another poster mentioned, the only things worth avoiding are probably One Trick Pony...

Which is a shame...one of the tightest rhythm groups ever assembled is on that record!  Some great tunes on that one...a pure deep cut of an album and personal favorite.

Oh I agree...I think it's a really great album, honestly...I was just suggesting that for someone just getting into Simon's work, that, and Capeman, are probably not the best place to start.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »

I'd start with the self-titled one from like, 1971 or something - Really, really good.

And, yeah, Graceland. Believe the hype.

I tried Graceland, didn't do much for me. Then I tried the s/t one you suggested - that hit the spot! I can see the clear progression from Bridge Over Troubled Water. Gonna give Graceland many more spins, though...

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 09:13:59 AM »

Part of the appeal of GRACELAND, as well as what makes it difficult to get a handle on initially, is that Simon emphasizes upbeat music throughout even though the subject matter can be dire. "The Boy In The Bubble" is a perfect example; peel back the happy, bouncy exterior and you'll find a devastatingly sad set of lyrics.

Listen to Peter Gabriel's recent cover of the song to get the full impact of what Simon was writing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvAJfXuEdOA
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »

I'm a much bigger fan of Paul Simon's music from the 60's and especially the 70's, when he was often working with top-notch studio players like Steve Gadd on drums. I have gotten much more into Simon And Garfunkel's catalog of records from the 60's over the past few years, the songwriting is top-notch and the sound of those records, featuring guys like Hal Blaine and the 'Crew, are amazing. They have a great *sound*.

One watershed Paul Simon moment was coming across a performance he did on Saturday Night Live for a Thanksgiving-themed show back in '76. I grabbed this on video years ago, and I would highly recommend anyone interested in Simon seek this one out on DVD. part of the episode has Paul coming out on stage wearing a turkey costume and singing "Still Crazy...", but the real highlight is watching him do "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover", a terrific song. The camera pans out and comes into focus directly on drummer Stave Gadd, playing his famous "Three Legged Dog" drum groove, and the whole performance after that is electric, including some nice Rhodes piano work by Richard Tee. An awesome song and clip, totally live.

SNL and Simon had a close relationship - he was on so often...you could make a highlight reel of just Paul Simon playing SNL! Among these:

Paul Simon and George Harrison with acoustic guitars playing duets on Homeward Bound and Here Comes The Sun. Terrific versions.

Paul Simon's S&G version of Homeward Bound being used as the theme for a Gary Weis short film on SNL, showing random families greeting loved ones at an airport as they arrived "home". It sounds simple but that film and that music is one of the most moving things I've ever seen on TV, still to this day. That song brought it all home. Literally.

Simon on SNL with Ladysmith Black Mambazo on SNL, totally live, doing Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes. The dancing, the harmony, Simon's amazing band at that time...a stunner.

For pure comedy, SNL did a film short of Paul Simon playing basketball against Connie Hawkins of the NBA, as Paul's "Me And Julio..." played in the background. Simon looked to be half the size of Hawkins, and it was hilarious watching him run around the court with this giant. The song again nailed it perfectly.

Of course there are others but those stand out as highlights from SNL. I'm a Simon fan, not of everything he has done, but overall I enjoy his music very much.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:31:36 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:59:33 PM »

My Lord, Steve Gadd is a beast of a drummer, isn't he?

I would also throw in Paul's "Surprise" album from 2005 or so....co-produced by Brian Eno...it's like folk rock with very interesting beats and electronic "eno-esque"  elements thrown in.  A very creative and I daresay risky album for a man in his 60s.  A great album.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx