gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:14:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 36: Saratoga, NY (SPAC) June 23rd  (Read 34035 times)
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »

*waits for Our Prayer Live (first time ever for the beach boys)

Right! Can you imagine? The debut of a song from SMiLE which these guys haven't sung since, what, overdubs in 1968 for 20/20?
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »

Our Prayer  has been performed at least once, in Belgium, 1968 or 69.
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »

Our Prayer  has been performed at least once, in Belgium, 1968 or 69.

Er...well, then the debut of the song with Dave!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »

Brian gave Al instructions during "Add SOme Music" again last night. Here's some footage shot by "Ray Charles"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=GEpDt7GGSXA
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »

Okay, on to the actual performance.

The concert was tremendous.  Brian seemed, as he has at many other concerts, distant during prior to intermission.  He perked up whenever he was required to sing, and though he never expressed a great deal of outward excitement, he sounded phenomenal.  He seemingly perked up the most during Sail On, Sailor, and he began waving his hands in the air.  Something of note, Brian was dressed pretty poorly for this concert.  He had the official merchandise Brothers logo sweatshirt pulled over a striped shirt that sure didn't look as high end as the other guys' apparel.  He also was wearing sweatpants, but we've seen that before.

The highlights of the first set, for me, were Do It Again, which just sent shockwaves through me as the Boys walked on stage, Darlin', which I was really, really hoping to hear (Darian sounded exceptional), California Saga, a song I particularly love, Getcha Back which sounded ten times better than the record (and on which Dave really gave a stellar vocal performance), and Disney Girls; despite all the praise Bruce has received for doing this song throughout this tour, I was blown away by the youthfulness in his voice and how crisp he sounded.

Another surprising performance was Totten's lead on Why Do Fools Fall In Love.  As other have noted, this song really sounds fantastic, perhaps better than the record.  The Boys' voices really shimmered on this one, and Totten's lead really demonstrated what a talented vocalist he really is.

The second set was full of gems.  While I was hoping to hear Our Prayer open the second set, Pet Sounds was a fine alternative.  It's a cool way to open the second set, and I think it may have surprised a lot of people in the crowd.  I loved hearing this live, Pet Sounds is my favorite instrumental track on a Beach Boys record.  The band did a really great job with it, and it was nice to see Dave up there as well.

Brian sounded superb singing Heroes and Villains, and both Sloop John B and Wouldn't it Be Nice rocked the place.  Its still difficult for me to grasp that Al sounds so damn good at his age.  I Just Wasn't Made for These Times was beautiful, and as I noted earlier Brian perked up during Sail on Sailor.  Perhaps the biggest surprise, performance wise, of the night was TWGMTR.  I mean, that thing sounded stellar.  The band's finally got this one nailed, the vocal dynamic just blew my mind.  It sounded just as good, if not better, than the record.  It felt like a classic Beach Boys track that fit right in with the rest.

The tributes are beautiful and nearly brought a tear to my eye.  Following the tributes the crowd stood for the rest of the concert, beginning with Good Vibrations.  Another surprise was how much Rock and Roll Music really rocked.  Mike was really into this one, and the crowd ate it up.  I loved it, and would take it any day over the sub-par performance I hear on the record.

Then, the encore.  This is when my night started taking a turn for the awesome.  My father encouraged my friend and I to go down to the stage, from our seats nearly twenty rows back, because others were doing it and the ushers just didn't seem to care.  No one stopped us, so we ran down to the edge of the stage near the aisle to the far left of it.  I was wearing my "Keep It Clean With Al Jardine" t-shirt and was dying for Al to notice it.  As the band was performing Barbara Ann, Mike saw my friend and I and we motioned for him to get Al.  As Fun, Fun, Fun began, Mike motioned to Al to look in our direction.  Al put his hand over his eyes, like someone does when looking from a distance, and spotted us! I pointed to my t-shirt and he gave me a thumbs up! Then, Brian looks in our direction.  Now, once we saw Brian look at us, my friend as I started going crazy.  God knows what we looked like.  Well, Brian just stares at us.  I mean, like some sort of death stare.  He stares at us for, I don't know, seven seconds or so with this blank look. He stops playing his bass. Then, he looks away, and he starts to play again.  Maybe twenty seconds later, he looks back at us.  He gives us the same blank look, and we go crazy again! Then, he looks away and walks in full circle around Jeff Foskett and stands behind him, so that he can no longer make eye contact with us.  It was absolutely hilarious.  It was also absolutely scary, because Brian gave us the look of death.  I don't know if we made him uncomfortable, or what, but he sure didn't like the fanatical way in which we were cheering his name.  Did anyone else notice him completely change his position on stage?

Anyway, that was the "Brian story" or whatever.  I thought it was worth telling.  We talked about it the whole two and a half hours home from Saratoga Springs.

Some quick notes before I leave you with Our Prayer.  As so many others have stated, Dave's guitar work is freaking awesome.  It really adds life to the show.  Al, as stated earlier, sounds as good as he did in 1965, no joke.  Mike is an exceptional frontman.  His jokes and overall persona were excellent; very fitting and tasteful.  He really got into some songs, and when he did he was so much fun to watch.  He engages the audience incredibly well, even when I was twenty rows back I waved during a song and he pointed to me. 

Alright, here you all go! Our Prayer!  For a while, I really basked in the fact that I possessed the only live recording of Our Prayer performed by the Beach Boys in the world.  However, it is time to do the world a service and share it with you all  Wink  Sorry for the semi-awful quality, I was actually outside the venue during this and it was recorded with a camera.  It is, at any rate, very clear and one can pick out the voices quite well. 

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tent7cy6i6o5657

Enjoy!  Grin

Later, I'll post some other videos I managed to take, and some photos as well!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 03:53:43 PM »

If someone shot video in Brian's direction during Fun Fun Fun, that story is priceless!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »

Damn, Our Prayer sounds ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. Like whoa.

No mas, por favor.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »

If someone shot video in Brian's direction during Fun Fun Fun, that story is priceless!

I shot the whole song. Brian hitched his pants several times. Jeff said something to him at one point and Brian's face lit up. I'll post my poorly recorded video later.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:28:11 PM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »

I shot the whole song. Brian hitched his pants several times. Jeff said something to him at one point and Brian's face lit up. I'll post my poorly recorded video later.

Oh upload this! I need to see this! I saw Jeff say something to Brian, that was after he moved.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »

Gorgeous. Thanks so much for Our Prayer, the one thing I've been dying to hear them do this tour. It should make for a ridiculously powerful opening to the second set if they add it!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Will we ever get a video for Pet Sounds and Getcha back performances? Shocked
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »

Zach, thanks for OurPrayer. It is sublime. How magical are these voices! 50 years after, through a simple run-through at a soundcheck, recorded from the distance... And you still can feel the overwhelming impact of these men singing together.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »

Wowwww. Thanks!  At first listen, sounds like Brian singing the bass line.  Was he doubling Mike?

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2012, 04:56:57 PM »

Man oh man that sounds nice.  Thanks Zach.  Mike's bass vocal I bet would shake the walls of any venue it gets performed at.  As ironic as Mike wants to admit it: he shines on many of the SMiLE tracks.  
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »

I'm going crazy!! I've been checking Youtube at least 2-3 times a day for a video of GETCHA BACK! If anyone has one can you please just upload it or send it to me in a message? Pleaseeeeeeeeeee! and Mike doing Hawaii! I saw a small clip on YT.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

I'm going crazy!! I've been checking Youtube at least 2-3 times a day for a video of GETCHA BACK! If anyone has one can you please just upload it or send it to me in a message? Pleaseeeeeeeeeee! and Mike doing Hawaii! I saw a small clip on YT.

Check your email Wink

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »

Check your email Wink

Would be easier for everyone if it was uploaded on youtube tho.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »

Oh upload this! I need to see this! I saw Jeff say something to Brian, that was after he moved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epqbrXpgBM&feature=youtu.be
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »

I'm on my iPhone and out of town currently...
Sorry Razz

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3epqbrXpgBM&feature=youtu.be

Ha! Check out from 1:00-1:05, Brian is looking to his left, right at my friend and I.  Then, at 1:45 he looks over again, and at 1:50 he turns around and walks behind Jeff  LOL

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »

You are all welcome! Here's a YouTube link for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKB5C06PPU&feature=plcp

Uploading short clips of Pet Sounds and Getcha Back now.

EDIT:

Here we go!

Getcha Back - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMW6JAVcjQc&feature=plcp

Pet Sounds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt7aWZ8v8FI&feature=plcp
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:18:55 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »

...I think I saw God during that "Our Prayer" clip.

As my wife said, it's the mundane background noise around it which really makes it.  It's like, we'll just casually run through the Hallelujah Chorus while everyone's setting up...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »

You are all welcome! Here's a YouTube link for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poKB5C06PPU&feature=plcp

Uploading short clips of Pet Sounds and Getcha Back now.

OUR SAVIOR !!!

Zach, marry me.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2012, 06:21:18 PM »

...I think I saw God during that "Our Prayer" clip.

As my wife said, it's the mundane background noise around it which really makes it.  It's like, we'll just casually run through the Hallelujah Chorus while everyone's setting up...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Exactly what I was thinking, here's all these people who are milling about, waiting in line to see a Beach Boys concert, who call themselves Beach Boys fans.  There's Our Prayer playing in the background, this angelic, beautiful piece of music, and no one seemed to appreciate that.  Some lady asked me what I could see when I was recording the other performance. I quietly told her (as I was recording, which annoyed me a bit) that the band was singing a rare song.  It's the best I could come up with.  You just can't explain to a casual fan the depth and meaning of a run through during a soundcheck of Our Prayer.  Incredible stuff.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2012, 05:44:11 AM »

I was hanging around the front of the venue down by the buses hoping to catch a band member...also looked like a father and his sons were hanging around...overheard one of them talk about meeting Nelson Bragg and that he drove his own car to the show...wasn`t intentionally trying to eavesdrop... but then the security guard pretty much shoos everyone away.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx