gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680872 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:08:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Spanish guitar" segment  (Read 10528 times)
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 01:40:56 PM »

I tried to be true to Darian and Jeff's vision. Oh yeah, and Brian's.

I think Jeff is cool.  However, I don't he had anything to do with sequencing SMiLE in 2003.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 01:58:08 PM »

I tried to be true to Darian and Jeff's vision. Oh yeah, and Brian's.

I think Jeff is cool.  However, I don't he had anything to do with sequencing SMiLE in 2003.

I assumed the 2004 live presentation of SMiLE was formulated/worked out/sequenced by both Darian AND Jeff, with input from Brian. Then, of course, BWPS was recorded note-for-note from the live version.

Do you not think Jeff had input into the live presentation, which, in turn, led to the studio recording?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 03:23:13 AM »

I´m maybe wrong on this, but as far as I know it was planned that Jeff should help Brian with the sequencing, but the task was very soon handed over to Darian.

One thing I still don´t really know: to what degree was Van Dyke involved with the sequencing? He joined the group a little later (I think we all know the DYLW-story), but how far was the sequencing at this point?

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 08:42:45 AM »

I've met Jeff quite a few times, and he's a very fun and nice guy.  But there isn't one thing I read or have seen or heard that gives me the impression that Jeff had anything to do with the sequencing of SMiLE.  Yes, Jeff was the first to announce that SMiLE would be presented live, and I do believe at that time he said that he was charged with helping Brian to come with a presentation of a live SMiLE.  However, after that the only thing I ever heard was that Darian was the one who went through the old SMiLE tapes and presented them to Brian, and it was only Darian who helped Brian and then Brian and Van Dyke in finishing and sequencing SMiLE.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 09:56:56 AM »

From what I hear, that was the last song they did for SMiLE before Brian canned it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 07:21:53 PM »

Continuing along the lines of songs/pieces that might/might not have been intended for SMiLE...

"Diamond Head" - I read somewhere that this song appeared on a proposed set-list for an early Brian performance of SMiLE in 2004.

Obviously, it didn't make the cut, either for the concert or BWPS. But the question is - does "Diamond Head" have any known roots or basis in SMiLE?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 07:39:06 PM »

I stick to  the BWPS lineup. It's Brian's and Van Dyke's lineup. It was always as good as were gonna get as far as a true lineup.

I think that lineup sucks.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »

Other things I threw into my SMiLE mix:
-Near the beginning of my 6:00 H&V, I mixed in "Ah, Mr. Wilson!" from the movie Seconds.  Just to put a little mind-gangster action in there.

-Sort of a hidden track, but more of a runout-groove thing:  Brian saying "And then we'll have world peace" from one of the Pet Sounds tapes.  (Dedicated to Ray Shackleford.)

Side point:  I think usage of the word "sucks" sucks.  Find a better way to express your opinion in a way that matters.  I'm tired of the "internet is everybody's graffiti wall" schtick.
-O
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »

Other things I threw into my SMiLE mix:
-Near the beginning of my 6:00 H&V, I mixed in "Ah, Mr. Wilson!" from the movie Seconds.  Just to put a little mind-gangster action in there.

-Sort of a hidden track, but more of a runout-groove thing:  Brian saying "And then we'll have world peace" from one of the Pet Sounds tapes.  (Dedicated to Ray Shackleford.)

I like your ideas. Very interesting. Do you share your SMiLE mixes with others to get feedback, or do you basically make them for yourself?

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to get your opinion on the following songs: With Me Tonight, You're Welcome, Tones (Tune X), and "False Barnyard". Do you use them in your mix, and, if yes, how/where do you use them? Thanks...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 07:00:44 PM »

One thing's for sure...if SMiLE had been released in '67 like it was intended to be, and if all the stuff Brian recorded during the SMiLE "era" of '66-'67 had actually made it to the album, it would've had to have been a double-album.   

C-Man

Absolutely.

So I wonder, when you're making/compiling your 1966-67 SMiLE mix CD, either for yourself or for somebody else you're trying to enlighten, do you stick to the basic 17 songs from BWPS, or do you take the "kitchen sink" approach and include such tracks as "With Me Tonight", "He Gives Speeches", etc. It is tempting when you have 80 minutes to play with...

Well, I don't really bother making a "SMiLE" mix CD anymore, now that we have an officially-released "SMiLE".  However, a "SMiLE" sessions CD is something else again...and for that, I would tend to make it chronolgical, and include the final take of every session from May '66 to May '67, except "Good Vibes" and "H&V"...those two I'd put on their own CD 'cause there's so much stuff there.   But I wouldn't bother making any artistic decisions regarding a lineup, since that's already been done.

But that's just me...

C-Man
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2009, 01:21:44 AM »

This very segment is a topic of several recent posts but this headline captures the nature of it perfectly.
In my next video which is a rehashed (in any sense of the word) rendition of the Elemental Suite I make the case for both titles: Indian Wisdom/Doves Of Free (however fictitious they may be): That they are both indeed meaningful and useful in relation to that music. - And having fun doing it!

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2009, 02:04:27 AM »

I thought this thread was about 'Tubular Bells'. Sorry.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

Even with the "kitchen sink" mentality, wouldn't you want to draw the line at including, say, "Little Red Book"? 'Cos even though it's SMiLE vintage

It's not - apparently dates from the Friends era.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »

I was waiting a while to make this topic (already several Smile topics on the main page), and it seems like many of you are already going down this road anyway...

Which segment or track from the original Smile sessions do you miss most? As in, which do you really wish would have made BWPS in some way?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »

I miss the full CITFOTM backing vox, "at three score and five...", and the hokey pokey section of Look.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »

hokey pokey section of Look.

YES! i miss it so much! It's actually the "st. louis rag" i believe, but i've always loved it in the original
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »

I miss the full CITFOTM backing vox, "at three score and five..."

Yeah I miss the Child backing vox too, I think it sounds much better with that vocal stack behind it...three score and five would have been cool to keep too, especially since Brian was, at that point, only a few years away from reaching that age.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »

Which "Child" backup vocals are missing?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »

Brian singing on top, "aaahhhh" on the CITFOTM chorus....it is on Archeology and others I'm sure...
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »

I miss the tag to the cantina version of H&V, or the original tag to Sunshine, or Barnshine or  False Barnyard, or whatever you want to call it.  I was most disappointed that it wasn't used somewhere in BWPS. 
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009, 08:05:40 AM »

One of the greatest pieces of music on the original smile was the "Fade to Vegetables" with fully produced backing and lead vocals, the wrecking crew - I still can't believe Brian left that off BWPS.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:55 PM »

One of the greatest pieces of music on the original smile was the "Fade to Vegetables" with fully produced backing and lead vocals, the wrecking crew - I still can't believe Brian left that off BWPS.
Do you mena "Fade To Prelude"?
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »

Yes!! This is my favorite part of Secret Smile

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »

It's looking like my SMiLE mix will have With Me Tonight, He Gives Speeches, and two Vega-Tables....possibly three.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 04:55:43 AM »

Do you mena "Fade To Prelude"?

No, Fade to Vegetables - on SOT - with Al's "lead" vocal (ba ba's) and incredible group backing vocals over a complex wrecking crew track.  Just the instrumental track is amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx