gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:35:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help!!!  (Read 4508 times)
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »

I'm wondering if I should pick up the Good Vibrations box set, or the Pet Sounds one?

Also, where can I get more vocal tracks?
Is Stack-o-tracks good?

Thanks!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »

Well, of course, this really depends on what you're looking for....
Personally, I'd go with the Pet Sounds box - but if you're looking for material outside of that album, it's not for you.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

I'll eventually get both, I just don't know which I should get first.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:31 PM »

I'll eventually get both, I just don't know which I should get first.
Are you more interested in Pet Sounds or in the other LPs? Pretty simple decision actually.  Wink I'd get the GV box set first.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »

Not sure how far along you are in your fandom, but the GV box is essential imo.

That was the set that really got me into the more obscure stuff like Smile, Love You, Adult Child, etc.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

Im interested in both.
I guess I meant, which am I getting more for my money with?
Is one much more in depth than the other?
That sort of thing.
Sorry for the confusion.

- Dr. Seuss
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:38:23 PM »

The PET SOUNDS box set definitely goes into more depth...for that particular album. The GOOD VIBRATIONS box set covers all of the albums through '88.
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »

The Vibes box set definitely has more to choose from. The PS box is great but I feel like I have listened to the Vibes box more.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »

Im interested in both.
I guess I meant, which am I getting more for my money with?
Is one much more in depth than the other?
That sort of thing.
Sorry for the confusion.

Well, given that the PS box covers just that album and not their entire career 1961-88... which one would you say exhibits more depth ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

If you love Pet Sounds, you can't go wrong with the PS box. I bought that first and would recommend you do the same if you're strapped for cash, with a view to buying the GV box later on.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Paulos
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »

Get them all, ebay is your friend.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 02:32:47 PM »

Get them all, ebay is your friend.

or if you're tech knowledgeable, check all the bootleg sites and download all that stuff for free( I can't figure out how to get any of it.  so I buy it)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

Or...save your pennies, my friend, and get the next big box set that comes out later this year.

We are DONE TALKING.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

we are?

Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »

I got the GV set for Christmas 1993...I was 11...I've never been the same since Smiley   It's been with me through high school, college, grad school, job changes, relationship changes, marriage, children and I suspect it will always have a place in my heart.  In short, GET IT.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Paulos
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »

I don't think we are done talking either, the new box set will more than likely be great but why wouldn't you want the others?

Try amazon too, some secondhand ones available for very reasonable prices

Good Vibrations box set - http://www.amazon.com/Good-Vibrations-Thirty-Years-Beach/dp/B000002UR4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1340228631&sr=8-15&keywords=good+vibrations

Pet Sounds Sessions - http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Sounds-Sessions-Beach-Boys/dp/B000002U4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340228818&sr=1-1&keywords=pet+sounds+sessions

As for Stack-o-Tracks, yes you need this album and I'm assuming you don't have the Party!/Stack-o-Tracks 2fer, again you can pick this up used very cheap - http://www.amazon.com/Party-Stack-O-Tracks-Beach-Boys/dp/B00005ABWZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1340228868&sr=1-1&keywords=beach+boys+party

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »

The Pet Sounds Sessions box is an incredibly in-depth look at a single album -- mono and stereo mixes, isolated vocal and instrumental tracks, and recordings from the tracking sessions, much like the Smile Sessions box. It's four CDs.

The Good Vibrations box set has the best tracks from the band's entire career from Surfin' through Kokomo, including dozens of then-unreleased tracks. It's not quite every Beach Boys track you'll ever need, but you could probably get away with a copy of the GV box set and a burned compilation CD of another twenty or so tracks, and not be missing anything spectacular. Less essential now the Smile Sessions is out, because a highlight is a half-hour album-length sequence of previously-unreleased Smile music which is now all on the Smile Sessions in better quality, but still essential. It's five CDs long.

They're both doing very different things, and I wouldn't want to choose between them. But the Pet Sounds Sessions is very much for musicians, scholars and so forth -- people who want to take the music apart, analyse it, see how it works. The Good Vibrations box is something that anyone who likes music should have, frankly.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »

I think the Good Vibrations box set is now officially out of print, whereas the Pet Sounds Sessions is not, and will not be in the foreseeable future.

Anyone, please correct that statement if it is wrong!!

IF I'm right, then I would say go for the Good Vibrations box first while you can, without having to hunt and hunt for reasonable deals on used copies; it would seem like a no-brainer.

As for the merits of each, I don't have much to add to what everyone else said. Both sets are spectacular and serve their own purpose. As Andrew Hickey said, the release of The Smile Sessions lessens the allure of Disc 2 of the Good Vibrations set, but there are still plenty of other treasures therein, and it's a nifty thing to have, physically. It was how I was introduced to the Beach Boys, and it's what got me hooked - all 4 discs equally too, I might add, in their own ways - so I have a real affection for that collection.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Just get 'em both and get it over with!  Good Vibrations box set first with the Pet Sounds box right behind it. Should be less than 100 bucks for both!

I could show you where to download both, but I don't want to. Get the legit releases with the books and stuff. You'll be glad you did.

I had one of the two booklets in my Pet Sounds box autographed by Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye.  They're boss!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »

Just get 'em both and get it over with!  Good Vibrations box set first with the Pet Sounds box right behind it. Should be less than 100 bucks for both!

I could show you where to download both, but I don't want to. Get the legit releases with the books and stuff. You'll be glad you did.

I had one of the two booklets in my Pet Sounds box autographed by Hal Blaine and Carol Kaye.  They're boss!

Did Carol play on anything?

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »

She signed my book near her interview section, "To Mike - Bassically yours, Carol Kaye".   Smiley  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:32:10 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »

Sorry for anybody who misunderstood my DONE TALKING gag...I was just parodying Bruce from his unhappy backstage behavior recently.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »

Sorry for anybody who misunderstood my DONE TALKING gag...I was just parodying Bruce from his unhappy backstage behavior recently.

I picked up on it and laughed quite a bit!

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »

I picked up on it and laughed quite a bit!

Yup, awesome. I pretty much end every conversation I have that way now. Good old Bruce.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 01:17:23 PM »

I'm wondering if I should pick up the Good Vibrations box set, or the Pet Sounds one?

Also, where can I get more vocal tracks?
Is Stack-o-tracks good?

Thanks!
You should pick up all of them. Stack-o-Tracks is indeed great, if you're a fan.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx