gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:59:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: That's Why God Made The Radio (Cover / A Capella Snippet)  (Read 2806 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:31:22 AM »

Hey everyone,

Here's a cover of TWGMTR I started last night.

I kept it pretty much the same arrangement-wise as the original, but went for a little different sound.

Let me know what you think  Azn

http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/thats-why-god-made-the-radio

Best,
J
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:17:01 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

Just posted up the finished version. Check it out.. http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/th

Let me know if u guys dig it. Thanks.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »

That was really cool! REALLY dug the backing track!!!!!!! The backing track sounded more like it was from the Love You period, it gave the tune a different slant. Your vocal arrangement was very faithfu to the BBs version in parts, but in certain aspects (like on the second verse), you added your own thing and it was groovy.

The one thing I can say about yours that I can't say about the BB's version - yours is much more "honest". I don't know if you get what I mean by that....but the production and mixing on the official single has stuff hidden, popping in and out, vocals coming and going from different parts of the soundstage. Your rendition was totally "there". I'm having a hard time describing it in words. But great job.

Any chance you can upload just the backing track too?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 09:22:35 PM »

Glad you liked it!

Here's the streaming instrumental: http://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/thats-why-god-made-the-radio-1

I'm gonna make it available as a download on iTunes soon. It'll include:

1) Finished Version
2) A Capella
3) Piano + Bass + Vocals
4) Instrumental

Initially I was gonna do a sound-a-like track. I got pretty close to replicating the drum sound.

BUT, being that I'm a terrible guitarist and I didn't wanna try and fake the funk,  I wound up messing around with some 60's drums and from there decided to have fun and get a little creative with it. The piano is a tack piano layered with the old granny piano, time stretched a bit to give it a more unpredictable feel.

And yeah, I hear you on the vocal mixing which is definitely more traditional here. I kept it drier, and added some bass notes in the hook which I don't think are in the original (going off memory...). My voice was shot by the time I hit the fade tag, so I apologize for the sh*t falsetto there.. It was literally starting to hurt my throat, which I figured wasn't a good sign, lol. Still, had a blast going through the process.

Btw, creating this version definitely made me appreciate the production, mixing, chord changes, writing, etc. on the original a lot more. It's a very, VERY solid record.

Sorry to run on here.. Thanks for checking it out!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:17:16 AM »

this is amazing.

I really like the way your voice blends with itself, btw - your midrange has this kind of slackness either by accident or design, really kicks off the blend.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:03:03 PM »

this is amazing.

I really like the way your voice blends with itself, btw - your midrange has this kind of slackness either by accident or design, really kicks off the blend.

Thanks man! Btw, I always get a kick out of your username - "Hype" is one of my nicknames as well.  LOL

Far as the midrange goes, I think I might know why you say that. Usually I sing in a quiet breathy tone, and anytime I'm not, and I'm not in belt range, I'm always kind of trying to work out where exactly my tone should sit. So here, I think I was trying to emulate something of a BW/AJ sound.. but, couldn't bring myself to sound as bright as BW & AJ are on the original. Not sure if that makes any sense. Either that or, it's just my voice, lol.

I'm almost done with an original project now (which I think you'll dig if you like trippy 80's-meets-2012 sounding pop/rock/R&B) and I think I've sorta found where my voice sounds best in that project. Singing's probably not my strong point, but it's always a fun and challenging thing, trying to figure out how to make the most out of it in the context of a record.

Thanks again for checking it out!

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:20:02 AM »

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that my TWGMTR Cover EP is now available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Made-Radio-Tribute-Beach/dp/B008AL2IL0

Piano/Bass/Vocal Full Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp5e-j0KbFA

Have a great rest of the weekend.. and Happy Fathers Day to all dad's around the board!

Best,
J
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

Hey all,

Have a great rest of the weekend.. and Happy Fathers Day to all dad's around the board!

Best,
J

I really liked your cover but I have to ask,  isnt selling your ep copyright infringement?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »

Hey all,

Best,
J

I really liked your cover but I have to ask,  isnt selling your ep copyright infringement?

Thanks for checking it out.  Grin

It's not copyright infringement as long as you obtain a license and pay the appropriate fees per sale to the publisher. Remember, our heroes The Beach Boys have sold many cover versions in their career. As long as you take care of the mechanical license beforehand, you're good to go.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:51:44 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
meltedwhiskeyinmyhand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »

Hey all,

Best,
J

I really liked your cover but I have to ask,  isnt selling your ep copyright infringement?

Thanks for checking it out.  Grin

It's not copyright infringement as long as you obtain a license and pay the appropriate fees per sale to the publisher. Remember, our heroes The Beach Boys have sold many cover versions in their career. As long as you take care of the mechanical license beforehand, you're good to go.

I see, I wasnt aware that you had done that. Carry on!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »

That's a very nice cover. Must have taken quite some time to decipher the vocal arrangement on the original and record the backing track. Well done!

I must confess though that I've never understood why someone would put so much effort into recording a cover version when the aim is to have it sound so close to the original,.... instead of either going for a version that would take the song in a completely different direction or, better still, recording an original song. To each his own I guess.

Do you record your own songs as well? I couldn't find any on your Soundcloud account. From the sound of it, you could pull off some awesome stuff!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:10:31 AM by kwan_dk » Logged

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »

That's a very nice cover. Must have taken quite some time to decipher the vocal arrangement on the cover and record the backing track. Well done!

I must confess though that I've never understood why someone would put so much effort into recording a cover version when the aim is to have it sound so close to the original,.... instead of either going in a direction that would take the song in a completely different direction or, better still, recording an original song. To each his own I guess.

Do you record your own songs as well? I couldn't find any on your Soundcloud account. From the sound of it, you could pull off some awesome stuff!

Thanks man, def appreciate it!

I started out mimicking Beach Boys and Beatles records as a kid, so every once in a while I'll do something like this. I find it to be fun and a bit nostalgic. Plus, it looks like a few people are buying it, and as a full time music guy, any income stream I can get via music is cool with me! Definitely not trying to make any big statement with these, nor do I feel it's too indicative of who I am as an artist.

I do have some original music out there, but nothing I'd wanna share on this board, haha. It's mainly generic pop/r&b stuff that I'm almost embarrassed of at this point.  At the moment I'm digging deep to try to find out who I am as an artist. I've messed with so many styles and genres, and now I'm at the point where I just wanna dumb it down and get back to basics. I might be onto something, but who knows. Sooner or later I'll get a project together that I'm proud of and post it up here.

But yeah man, thanks again for the comment! Keep knockin out those tunes!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »

Nice job!
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »

I do have some original music out there, but nothing I'd wanna share on this board, haha. It's mainly generic pop/r&b stuff that I'm almost embarrassed of at this point.  At the moment I'm digging deep to try to find out who I am as an artist. I've messed with so many styles and genres, and now I'm at the point where I just wanna dumb it down and get back to basics. I might be onto something, but who knows. Sooner or later I'll get a project together that I'm proud of and post it up here.

But yeah man, thanks again for the comment! Keep knockin out those tunes!

Well, let us know when you have something you'd like to share with us. Your covers and the vocals on them are really well-done, I think so it would be cool to hear your own music. And what's wrong with generic pop / R&B stuff? A good tune is a good tune, period - no matter what style it is. I'm sure you have some great stuff up your sleeve.  Smiley

dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »

Man I really dug that!! Great job!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx