gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:18:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three songs from my album in progress  (Read 1053 times)
tender b
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:59 AM »

http://tenderbreed.bandcamp.com/

This is what i've been working on this summer. Getting ready to reassemble the recording setup at my own house so the project is in a very transitional state at this point. I'm still looking for a good way to replicate the sounds of an optigan and an orchestron so if anyone has any pointers please let me know.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:00:08 AM »

I like it - really reminds me of Grandaddy, which isn't a bad thing.

Also, er, what's an orchestron or optigan?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
tender b
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Hey thanks alot. I definitely love all of Grandaddy's work and wish they were still together.

I first saw "orchestron" mentioned in the liner notes to sparklehorse's "it's a wonderful life album" so i looked it up. The orchestron and optigan were early versions of synthesizers that were only in creation in the 70's i think. Organ-type instruments that functioned based off of optical discs full of samples of strings and horns and whatnot. the key to their interesting sound is that this early optical technology was slightly flawed giving some of the samples a more dirty texture. listen to the song "It's a wonderful life" by sparklehorse and notice how the string arrangements, though beautiful, have a sort of shakey and brittle quality to them.

I've been wanting to use string arrangements for a long time, but short of kidnapping a bunch of college music students, synth is the only option. if I use synth i would prefer to find a way of replicating the 70's string synths: mellotron, optigan and orchestron. the others that I have heard just sound like cheap casio strings to me which are great, just not what i'm looking for.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx