gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crack At Your Love and other obscure gems from the 80s catalogue  (Read 14536 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »

Just wanna say, this thread has finally convinced me to buy the KTSA/'85 two-fer, which was the only two-fer I missed out on. 

You look nice.  What's your name?  You smell nice.  I like you!    Grin

It does not get better than Male Ego.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

I feel the same about Brian`s I`m So Lonely. If it were recorded with a very simple piano accompaniment then it could be quite affecting.

I totally agree. I think there's a good song in there somewhere.
Brian's piano could probably bring it out better than a sax solo could.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »

Mike's overly-nasal vocal dragged down Getcha Back.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

The Brian Wilson-related songs on The Beach Boys 1985 album were the first indication, to me anyway, that something was not quite right with Brian. Those four songs - "Crack At Your Love", "I'm So Lonely", "It's Just A Matter Of Time", and "Male Ego" - were everything that NO previous BW songs were...meaning overly simplistic, non-interesting (boring!), and basically lacking the old Brian Wilson magic that only he could conjure up. The songs sounded to me that he simply cranked them out because that was what he was being employed or assigned to do. I don't hear or feel any other inspiration. Unfortunately, again for me anyway, it was the beginning of a trend in regard to Brian's (future) songwriting. Never again did I hear or feel that magic, that "how did he he write something like that" quality. And I pinpoint that starting time frame to precisely when Brian re-emerged with Dr. Landy in 1983. I remember thinking, in the words of Jim Morrison, "Something's wrong, something's not quite right.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »

The Brian Wilson-related songs on The Beach Boys 1985 album were the first indication, to me anyway, that something was not quite right with Brian. Those four songs - "Crack At Your Love", "I'm So Lonely", "It's Just A Matter Of Time", and "Male Ego" - were everything that NO previous BW songs were...meaning overly simplistic, non-interesting (boring!), and basically lacking the old Brian Wilson magic that only he could conjure up. The songs sounded to me that he simply cranked them out because that was what he was being employed or assigned to do. I don't hear or feel any other inspiration. Unfortunately, again for me anyway, it was the beginning of a trend in regard to Brian's (future) songwriting. Never again did I hear or feel that magic, that "how did he he write something like that" quality. And I pinpoint that starting time frame to precisely when Brian re-emerged with Dr. Landy in 1983. I remember thinking, in the words of Jim Morrison, "Something's wrong, something's not quite right.
I agree about Brian's songs on the 1985 album, but I think he was saving his best stuff for the solo album. Are you telling me you don't hear the BW magic in "Love and Mercy", "Melt Away", "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long", "There's So Many"?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »

I agree about Brian's songs on the 1985 album, but I think he was saving his best stuff for the solo album. Are you telling me you don't hear the BW magic in "Love and Mercy", "Melt Away", "Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long", "There's So Many"?

"Love And Mercy" is a fine song, but, the other songs on BW88, no, I do not feel the magic. And I tried, believe me I tried. I made a tape of that album and played it constantly in my car for a year! The songs are a full grade or standard below Brian's work with The Beach Boys. I really don't think Brian had anything to share musically, or musically IMPORTANT, on that album. Other than "Love And Mercy", the only other song that kind of got to me was "Let It Shine" - specifically Jeff Lynne's contribution.

Brian Wilson 1988 received a lot of hype and publicity. There was a major article in Rolling Stone, several other magazines reviewed it, and Brian appeared on all of the morning TV shows like Today and Good Morning America. And that album came and quickly went. Why do you think that was so? The music?

EDIT: I just thought of another part of Brian Wilson 1988 that I like - two parts of "Rio Grande" - the "I want the river to take me home" part and the "night blooming jasmine" part. Those segments are excellent.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:51:17 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx