gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:19:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crack At Your Love and other obscure gems from the 80s catalogue  (Read 14646 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:17:41 AM »

This song is really, really good. I can't stop playing it.

I've never really listened to BB85 and finally got around to cannibalizing it for a BB 80s playlist I was doing. The chord changes in this are breathtaking and the background harmonies. I can just imagine Brian hammering this out on a piano and it sounding absolutely stunning, but they fudge it with horrendous 80s production. Nevertheless, Brian's (or maybe Al's?!) chords still sparkle through all the crappy synths and drum machines.

I love it when you find a gem like this in the seedier side alleys of a group's back catalogue.

I remember other posters singing the praises of Somewhere In Japan, and Where I Belong, and I sniffed dismissively at them that there was nothing of worth beyond 1977. Well, I take it back as I love those songs now, although I can't shake the chilling image of John Phillips perving over his daughter when I listen to SIJ (it's about her apparently).

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 02:24:44 AM »

I dig that tune too, really a highlight and perhaps my favourite on that record, though I think "Where I Belong" and "She Believes In Love Again" are great too. Today I was searching through Eric's setlist page and discovered that at one point they played "Crack At Your Love" live together with "Getcha Back", "Califoria Calling", "She Believes In Love Again" and "It's Gettin' Late". Would like to know how these performances went over especially with the crowd. If you compare to other setlists from 1985 they would only play 1 or 2 songs of "The Beach Boys".

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:50 AM »

I dig that tune too, really a highlight and perhaps my favourite on that record, though I think "Where I Belong" and "She Believes In Love Again" are great too. Today I was searching through Eric's setlist page and discovered that at one point they played "Crack At Your Love" live together with "Getcha Back", "Califoria Calling", "She Believes In Love Again" and "It's Gettin' Late". Would like to know how these performances went over especially with the crowd. If you compare to other setlists from 1985 they would only play 1 or 2 songs of "The Beach Boys".

To be honest I'm unfamilar with a lot of the songs you mention, save Getcha Back which is great. I shall have another listen.

With this latest rewarding foray into the 80s catalogue I feel like I've signed over the remainder of my critical faculties to BB land. Kokomo now sounds like Pet Sounds to me. SIP here I come!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:13 AM »

I think Crack At Your Love is a pile of arse myself. Where I Belong is a genuine 80s gem and ripe for reappraisal - would love for it to make an appearance on the forthcoming career-spanning boxset. It's A Beautiful Day is another forgotten gem.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 03:00:40 AM »

I think Crack At Your Love is a pile of arse myself.

:::::Arf!::::::

I shall have a listen to It's A Beautiful Day.

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 06:10:19 AM »

I think Getcha Back is a seriously amazing tune, with 'I'm So Lonely' a close second off that record.. can't say i'm too fond of crack at your love.

Still Lurkin'
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »

The main "woah oh-ohh" on "Crack at Your Love" is pretty good, but I have trouble getting past the cheesy slap bass. And something about Al's vocal is a little weird to me for some reason. "California Calling" is fairly decent off that album, as far as the nostalgia tunes go. I've expressed my hatred of "It's Just a Matter of Time" elsewhere on the board, but I quite like "Male Ego". Do a mix of this with some of the new tracks off of Still Cruisin' and you have a not entirely embarrassing album. Now add some stuff from BW's first solo and you've REALLY got an 80s BBs album.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:46:58 AM »

"It's Getting Late" is one of the few I can even remember off BB85. Probably because there's just so much Carl on it, which makes it worthwhile.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 07:51:37 AM »

I really enjoy my KTSA/BB85 two-fer. Some great tracks, entertaining cornball production, and a vital part of the band's evolution. As a whole, I like it better than MIU/LA although the good tracks on the latter are really, really good.

I think TWGMTR benefits when viewed in context as part of the continuum from KTSA on. Well, if you ignore Still Cruisin' and SIP (as I do).
keysarsoze001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »

I really enjoy my KTSA/BB85 two-fer. Some great tracks, entertaining cornball production, and a vital part of the band's evolution. As a whole, I like it better than MIU/LA although the good tracks on the latter are really, really good.

I think TWGMTR benefits when viewed in context as part of the continuum from KTSA on. Well, if you ignore Still Cruisin' and SIP (as I do).

Combining BB85 with KTSA works even better as a mix. Granted, KTSA still sounds like the instruments are being played by human beings, but it's glossy enough that they go side by side very well together. And KTSA has enough really good moments to help buoy the overall disc.
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »

I've always loved 'Crack at your love' it is a big slice of fun on an album with some pretty dreary tracks.

I love how Al sings 'I'm gonna need a little help from above'.

I once got a DJ friend to play it, can't remember how it went down but I was happy.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »

To me, BB85 is pretty much a waste, except for "Crack" (awesome) and "I'm So Lonely" (even better).  "Crack" just has a great melody, great lyrics, nice vocal from Al.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »

Where I Belong is a great Track....melody, singing by Carl and Al.......one of the last great BB tracks, doesn't get nearly enough recognition.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

I once got a DJ friend to play it, can't remember how it went down but I was happy.

Great to see some fellow crack lovers! Not sure I'd have the balls to play it in public though - kudos to your DJ friend!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »

It's Gettin' Late is the undisputed champion of BB85 - Carl absolutely SLAYS that one.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

Crack at Your Love is a great song. and Passing Friend!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:58 PM »

Crack at Your Love is a great song. and Passing Friend!

And I loathe them both...

Crack just goes nowhere.  Simplistic chord progressions that move predictably and on the beat, with no real live band to give that simplicity any kick, just a bunch of synths noodling around the major scale taking up space.

Passing Friend is -- I hate to say it -- a song I would prefer to hear Boy George singing than Carl Wilson.  It would make a half-decent Culture Club tune, but it's a sh*te Beach Boys tune.  And the Culture Club would have actually played some real instruments on it.

Lest I seem too PC on the topic of '80s cheesy BBs, I quite enjoy some of Carl's stabs at '80s AOR rock.  Some work better than others, but "Maybe I Don't Know" is fun for me....but I can see why someone else would hate it.  Different strokes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:08:03 PM by adamghost » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 11:14:05 PM »

Someone pointed this out some time back, so I'll re-point it out.  Listen to "Crack at Your Love".  Then listen to "Hungry Heart" by Bruce Springsteen.  Nearly the same song.

But, that doesn't necessarily keep me from liking crack.  The song, that is.
MBE
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »

The two new songs on Made In The USA are good as was the live Runaway on the Sunkist LP. I like the Getcha Back/Male Ego 45 and I like Somewhere Near Japan. Otherwise 1981-96 offical group releases really don't do it at all for me.  Crocidile Rock is my guilty pleasure to some extent I guess. Hate Stars and Stripes, Summer In Paradise, Still Crusin, and 85 otherwise as well as misc  45's, CD singles, and VA tracks.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:54:46 PM »

I hope they will release all non album singles some day, I especially enjoy "It's A Beautiful Day" and although the lyrics don't really work I like "East Meets West", great moment at the end when Brian kicks in.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »

BB85 has three genuinely good songs on it (It's Gettin Late, I Do Love You, Male Ego), one absolute classic (Where I Belong), one relatively decent-ish single (Getcha Back) and the rest is almost entirely appalling.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 12:21:50 AM »

BB85 has three genuinely good songs on it (It's Gettin Late, I Do Love You, Male Ego), one absolute classic (Where I Belong), one relatively decent-ish single (Getcha Back) and the rest is almost entirely appalling.

Fully agree with this!
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »

Fully agree with this!

Am I the only one that adores "California Calling?" As for the titular song of this thread, it might be fine, it might be crap, I just can't be subjective, 'cause all I can ever think of is how much the title makes me picture an ass crack.

As if you cared, here is my opinion of The Beach Boys. It is, in fact, the first studio album the group ever released that I actively do not like. Give me MIU 'til it hurts, disco me up a savory platter of HCTN, or rub obscene dollops of creamy KTSA all over me anytime and whenever you like - I will lap it up. But the 1985 disaster? Bleech.
1. Getcha Back - tasty - 7/10
2. It's Gettin' Late - nice, in a junior high dance kind of way - 5/10
3. Crack - can't get pass the ass - ?/10
4. Maybe I Don't Know - crap - 1/10
5. She Believes In Love Again - crap, in a junior high dance kind of way - 0/10
6. California Calling - irresistible - 6/10
7. Passing Friend - boring, and yes, should have been a Culture Club track - 2/10
8. I'm So Lonely - direct (which is good) but unusually plain for Brian - 3/10
9. Where I Belong - nearly as good as people say - 7/10
10. I Do Love You - does not belong on this album - 1/10
11. It's Just A Matter Of Time - pastiche, lightweight - 2/10
12. Male Ego - I enjoy it and all but it doesn't GO anywhere - 4/10

BTW, I save my 8's and above for real prime-time, classic material. A "7" above is actually a very appreciative rating on my scale.

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »

I just can't be subjective, 'cause all I can ever think of is how much the title makes me picture an ass crack.

haha! Thought I was the only one!

Kanye West sings about crack and we think of hard drugs. Al Jardine sings about crack and it's bum cheeks all the way. Keeping it clean with Al Jardine!!

(I still love the song though)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:31:39 AM by buddhahat » Logged

PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 11:33:42 AM »

On this album, I love She Believes in Love Again, like Maybe I Don't Know, Where I Belong and Male Ego is fun. Most of the rest is a bit average, pleasant but lightweight, but overall imo better than half of KTSA (not saying which tracks, but I think they're possibly their nadir  Grin)

They should have dropped the Culture Club reject and added Chasin' the Sky instead and probably dropped the Stevie Wonder track with Carl guesting on it and added ... er, something better  Smiley . At the Hop?

It's not often discussed on here, but I believe there are a bunch of non-album/ soundtrack and unreleased BB's tracks from the early- mid '80s, eg. Oh Those Girls, At the Hop, Tricia, the already mentioned East Meets West with the Four Seasons, Happy Endings (bizarre duet with Little Richard), Don't Worry Baby with the Everlys, Chasin' the Sky and others. Though most of these seem to be poor, we're always talkin' about SIP, S&S and other major landmarks of the Boys later career  Grin .

I say bring on the '80s box set - 3 CDs, alternate takes, the works!  Smokin
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx