gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 11:00:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front Row Center - The Beach Boys Doing It Again  (Read 47065 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2012, 06:55:03 AM »

The talkative, excited Brian footage (black shirt at the piano) seems very old to me. It's not even in HD, so you know it wasn't filmed for this special.

I enjoyed the show, it was pretty cool. I feel like there should have been a lot more Brian though. He's talked about a lot, but hardly any new interview footage. Maybe he wasn't up for it at the time of filming, or maybe he was just reusing the same antedotes, dunno....

The bathtub footage was wicked cool! Wonder where that came from? I would have guessed it was some sort of obscure backstage home movie footage if they hadn't had  two camera angles.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2012, 07:03:58 AM »

The talkative, excited Brian footage (black shirt at the piano) seems very old to me. It's not even in HD, so you know it wasn't filmed for this special.

I blieve it was filmed for his website as a making of for GIOMH.
One thing though that needs to be mentioned: imo the show still goes the Al-replaced-David route. It wasn't necessarily said that way by Al but it is edited so that it sounds like it.
Love it when Brian, David and Mike talk about what songs they covered in the early years

That bathtube footage is pure gold ! I wonder what else they found. We already got the GV-sessions footage, now this bathtube film. Hope for a new DVD
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 08:54:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

This "Front Row Center" episode now is one of the best BBs-related 'documentaries' out there, I think. Loads of cool stuff - anecdotes, behind-the-scenes, sessions etc.  Smiley And they finally got a few things right about the early history. Plus: lots of DM talking.  police

Quote from: Rocker
One thing though that needs to be mentioned: imo the show still goes the Al-replaced-David route. It wasn't necessarily said that way by Al but it is edited so that it sounds like it.
How do you mean? I thought it was portrayed pretty accurately here. As far as I noticed there were no factual errors. On the other hand I'm dead tired and if it weren't for the BBs I'd be in bed for a few hours.  Thud
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »

I thought I had read elsewhere that Al was brought back in to replace Brian and Glen Campbell came in when David quit and then Bruce replaced him when his solo career was taking off. Confusing stuff, but that's how I understand it.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »

I thought I had read elsewhere that Al was brought back in to replace Brian and Glen Campbell came in when David quit and then Bruce replaced him when his solo career was taking off. Confusing stuff, but that's how I understand it.
There was some time between Dave leaving and Campbell joining. But yeah, Al basically came back to complete the tour line-up.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »

Wasn't it Dave replaced Al, Al replaced Brian, Brian replaced Dave, Glen replaced Brian, Bruce replaced Glen?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »

There's an awesome board game that could be made out of this, I bet.........
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »

It could be a new version of Twister!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »

It could be a new version of Twister!
With all the mis-information around this new Twister could cause severe health issues. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2012, 05:34:19 PM »

Just finished watching the video! great great video!

i love the fact we learn some cool details, well at least, speaking for myself! like the fact that Carl came up with the idea for the theremin and cello on GV and that they played the live clip of Carl singing God Only Knows that they use at the concerts so we know it's the live vocals from the 1980 UK concert and not the studio one! i thought it was the studio one, hey this shows how beautiful Carl sounded no matter what, i deeply beleive Brian was right, not saying this because i'm BB fan or whatever, he truely was an outstanding singer! listen to this and to his Stevei Wonder cover I Was Made To Love Her, the guy was talented as hell!

I also love the little parts like, when Mike Love mentions Johnny Be Goode, you can truely see Brian getting all excited like the kid that is in him Smiley
and the final clip with the boys singing Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring in the shower! wow haha

Would it be a risk to share this on youtube so that anyone can watch it and link it to the rest of the world, or would the channel take it down? Sad
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »

And holy cow that new version of She Believes In Love Again sounds great!!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:06 PM »

Jeez, they are not showing this thing anytime soon around where I live. And I went to the St. Augustine concert that was filmed.

But about "She Believes In Love Again", I'm kinda disappointed to know that it was Jeff singing Carl's part, instead of using Carl's original vocal or having Brian or Al do it. I'm kinda not as interested now.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »

Just finished watching the show from an HD download as it's not being shown in the Baltimore area yet. I was really impressed by the entire production and thought this was just an excellent excellent showcase for the band. All of the new songs just sounded phenomenal coming out of my home theater set-up. Brian was really good on Sail On Sailor, but I'm assuming they had another rough try at TWGMTR that night because it sounded like the studio version was substituted for the real thing as they showed the concert footage. All in all though, it looked and sounded great and the interviews were also a pleasure to watch. My compliments to whoever edited this because they covered a lot of ground in the span of 55 minutes. I'll be holding on to this one.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

Would it be a risk to share this on youtube so that anyone can watch it

No ! Upload it !!

Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

Where are you hearing this new version of "She Believes In Love Again"? Because it sure wasn't included in the version of the show that aired here in Chicago...

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »

Where are you hearing this new version of "She Believes In Love Again"? Because it sure wasn't included in the version of the show that aired here in Chicago...

Yeah, I heard nothing 'new' except a harmonies/track bit directly after the Good Vibrations session footage.... I, er, don't own a telly if you catch my drift.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »

You don't hear "She Believes In Love Again" but you can see them recording it, if you pay attention and follow the clues.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »

That Good Vibrations footage is fuckin' epic! I'm glad I was able to record this special on my DVR I hope there will be a DVD release with MORE FOOTAGE.

No mas, por favor.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »

Here's the part with the unused/unreleased recording:

http://sunnydays.podomatic.com/entry/2012-07-14T10_03_15-07_00

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »

Here it is on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CJ5qxFKfJM

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »

Thanks Slim....Watching now. Thumbs Up

edit

As has been said, very nice. A big jump from GV to Radio means room for another hour IMO but a good companion to the EH doco. Pity the live 2012 vocals have been tweeked though. Will buy when is released in some form.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:18:11 PM by Undesirable Element » Logged
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

Just a heads-up for folks in the Northeast Ohio area who haven't yet seen the Beach Boys, PBS Front Row Center special. My Dish program guide has this particular episode listed for tomorrow night, Thursday 7/19 at 9:00pm on WEAO, Channel 49 out of Akron/Kent. Note that WEAO, Western Reserve TV hasn't updated the schedule on their website to show the *exact* episode for tomorrow, so don't shoot me if Dish is wrong. Though, I'd wager that their guide is *probably* correct.  Smiley

Also note: WEAO/49 is showing it on their *main* channel, so it will be broadcast in HD (they previously only showed it, once, on a SD subchannel). Besides OTA if your antenna is strong enough, most cable and satellite operators carry the main WEAO channel in NE Ohio as well. Some in HD.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:48:31 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2012, 04:09:47 PM »

So no idea what this could be, no infos? i'm really liking it
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

So no idea what this could be, no infos? i'm really liking it

Apparently it's "I'll Go Anywhere", the one song from the suite that was dropped on TWGMTR.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2012, 04:22:44 PM »

Really like how that sounds.  Would work really well as extended intro into a song.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx