gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:22:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 25: Verizon Wireless Amphitheater - Irvine, CA 6/3/12(SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 49198 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 03:33:53 AM »

This was my 3rd show, just got home, it's 3:33am!  Great time!  Will write more later.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 03:47:15 AM »

Justin, Denny, Stack, Ontor, Eric: feel free to upload the video for the full California Saga set at your earliest convenience!  Grin

DennyMac79
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 04:26:31 AM »

Here are some of my shots from the night:

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:53:15 AM »

Who is the girl in the yellow dress in the photo with Carnie and Wendy?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 05:59:56 AM »

Who is the girl in the yellow dress in the photo with Carnie and Wendy?
Mike's youngest daughter.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 06:21:44 AM »

Show info

Interesting that the setlist specifies keys for a couple of the songs -- did they have to take them down a step?

Also, I guess they really were performing "In My Room" without the band vocals before -- they're specifying them this time...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »

A couple of questions:

1- did Dean sing falsetto on Barbara Ann?
2- can anyone add any detail on Al and Mike's onstage tension? Is this for real, or just some  good-spirited banter? For instance, I saw Al pinch his nose during one of Mike's vocals in an encore... Not to say that there has not been tension between those two, but perhaps they relate in that way now, throwing sharp remarks and jokes at each other ("you are next, Al!").

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »

Show info

Interesting that the setlist specifies keys for a couple of the songs -- did they have to take them down a step?

Also, I guess they really were performing "In My Room" without the band vocals before -- they're specifying them this time...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Yeah, they dropped FFF to its original key, which is great. Surfin USA they've done in E and E-flat on this tour.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »

I can't honestly say I noticed a Mike/Al tension but definitely a few snipey remarks between Mike and Bruce.  Mike was making a few digs about Bruce and Barry Manilow's hit "I Write The Song" saying they won't be able to play it tonight but it'd be okay because we could hear it anytime we're in a dentist office or elevator.  To which, Bruce replied... "Yup...right after Kokomo!"  The crowd "ooh'd" at that one.  They seem to have a prickly sense of humor towards each other...we'll never know how serious it is.  

Every show I've seen, Mike and Al have gone on together great.  Al keeps a steady eye on Mike for leads and cues and support.  I saw a couple smiles between the two and couldn't have noticed any drama between them.  Al was in a great mood last night and he's honestly the best one on stage that makes eye contact with the crowd.  Real cool.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

At soundcheck, it was great to see the band work through a few songs.  Poor Al, though..he wanted to work on a few things here and there like the beginning to "California Saga" and then the outro to "Kiss Me Baby" but the band kinda ignored his requests.  Al would politely throw out ideas like "Should we do the outro to "Kiss Me Baby." You know, get that syncopated thing down?"  No response from the group or acknowledgement.  He would just shrug his shoulders and assume everyone was happy with it. 

Scott Totten was a little tougher on this soundcheck...but not in a mean way but rather he was doing what looked like a maintenance check.  He wanted to runthrough the vocals on TWGMTR, asking each guy to do their harmonies.  A few needed tightening up in the vocals and they ironed it out.  I think Brian's "let's get this going" or anxiousness that he displays during the soundcheck is a little bit of him putting us on...a mini performance for entertainment's sake.  "Brian, what do you sing on that song?"  "What are you talking about?"  "The harmony."  "For which song?"  "That's Why God Made The Radio."  "Oh, what about it?"  "Which harmony do you sing?"  (Brian sings a little bit) "That one."  Hahah...he's hilarious.  Who knows what his motivations are but I think deep down Brian's still that Brian where he wants to goof off...but it just comes off as odd now.  Who knows...I was amused by that moment.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

One thing I've grown to appreciate is Mike's bass vocal.  I cannot get enough of those low notes rumbling through the speakers on songs like "Kiss Me Baby" or "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" and "Heroes and Villians"  Sooo great. 

I did notice that there is still such a lighthearted, playfulness to the group.  A lot of laughing going on.  Jeff flubbed up I think during "Isn't It Time" and Bruce let out a huge scream and point which made Jeff and Al crack a smile.  At one point, Al was starting to introduce "Cottonfields" but then they went into "Please Let Me Wonder" or something...he and Mike shared a huge laugh.  Mike went on about how the new album was #1 in Amazon presales and to "call up Amazon" to make our order...Al was laughing at Mike for his little speech. 

It looks to me like Al is really like the glue that keeps everyone in an even temperature on this tour.  He's really happy to be up there, playing these songs with these guys and I think he'l be just as sad as everyone here when/if it's all over.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 06:50:48 AM »

One more thing: it seems like Brian's feeling better with his back?  He hasn't needed any assistance coming in or off his riser and he has been walking pretty well lately.  That's great to see.  Is it a coincidence that his back was getting better right about the time he's been really getting into it on this tour?  (Shoulder shrugs)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »

Sorry everybody: I have not one single frame of video of California Saga performing their set.  It was made very clear from security that no cameras were allowed---only phones...WTF?  Roll Eyes  Being right up front, I was an easy target and didn't want to make enemies so early in the show so the camera stayed off until much later when it was becoming clear they weren't giving anyone any crap for real cameras being used.

But man do I regret not filming them.  Each song they did was beautifully done.  Mike, Brian and Al all came out right before their set and said a few words about them saying that they're doing a wonderful job and it brought tears to their eyes when they heard the results.  Each member introduced their kids as they came out.  Very touching.  Afterwards, the guys (Bruce later joined) sat just off stage but still visible to anyone who wanted to notice--and watched their sons and daughters perform.  They were truly engrossed and very into the performance.  Al was grooving along to a few songs.  In fact it was very much a school pageant show and tell moment. Not to say that the performances were in any way elementary or bad---no way--but I mean that all the performers' families were all present and watching their kids perform. The parents were off to the side watching, more family were up in the VIP balcony area on stage all looking down, proud of their respective family members down there rocking these songs.  On the other end of the stage was the rest of the band...Darian, Scott and Jeff all watching too.  Jeff was loving it and was all smiles during "Anna Lee The Healer" it was really really great.  When Justyn sings his father's lead on "I Can Hear Music"...the rush of emotions sweeping through are unexplainable...it's happiness and sadness rolled into one.  The crowd erupted into applause when he came in with that soaring vocal.  Carl would have been proud.   "Little Bird" was perfectly done with Carl B. doing a fantastic job with it. 

The kids did their parents--and their parents' fans, real proud.  They were met with hugs and cheers when they came off stage from their parents and other family members.  They all did so well.  The band has their own logo now...just a fancy display of the band name.  Carnie mentioend that she hopes this is the start of something special.  I hope so too.  If they continue on the road of doing these deep cuts this would be a wonderful thing for all fans to enjoy.  It really looks like they're all enjoying each other's company too and I think they're all rediscovering each other's friendships and love as a family...Ambha (?) said in an interview recently that she rarely sees all these people so it was good to finally get together like this.  It seems that this is a great way for them to get to all reconnect again.  The music is just a byproduct of that.  Fine by me!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:08:28 AM by Justin » Logged
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »

Sorry one last memory (I'm sorta doing this more for me than anything so I don't forget them)

During the intermission, I recalled seeing Brian clearly visible sitting off stage waiting to come on again.  All by himself.  Just sitting.  He sat there looking out to the stage, spoke to a few people as they passed by, rubbing his eyes and just chilling.  You see that scene in person and you're reminded exactly what Brian Wilson's about.  I'm not even going to try to articulate what he is, or  what he could be or what he is supposed to be...he's Brian Wilson.  And he was just sitting there quietly while all this commotion was going on around him, while his fans were all out milling around in the seats, talking, laughing and enjoying this evening...while he's sitting there...busy doing nothing. Wink
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »

I can't honestly say I noticed a Mike/Al tension but definitely a few snipey remarks between Mike and Bruce.  Mike was making a few digs about Bruce and Barry Manilow's hit "I Write The Song" saying they won't be able to play it tonight but it'd be okay because we could hear it anytime we're in a dentist office or elevator.  To which, Bruce replied... "Yup...right after Kokomo!"  The crowd "ooh'd" at that one.  They seem to have a prickly sense of humor towards each other...we'll never know how serious it is.  

This is awesome. Feels like pretty light-hearted, good-natured jabs at one another. Don't forget it's been Mike and Bruce touring together all these years before the proper reunion. If there were issues, one would think they would have come up years ago.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »

Is that Bruce taking photos of Dean -- for Dean?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »

Yup
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »

Yes, Dean sang on Barbara Ann, but not enough; they (al, bruce, dean) were kinda clowning around on that and FFF, while David and Brian and Jeff real rockin old style.

In a word: best show of the 3 I saw in So Cal, easily. David hit everything great--light fun banter, kinds singing as a warm up act.

last note: the ampitheatre staff and planning here hell: 1000s in line for bathrooms; gates open late, etc.

crowd polite and openhearted during new songs, though not screaming.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »

They do that for all the shows. That's the exact same banter they had at both Mohegan Sun shows I went to. It's definitely good natured and most important of all, planned.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »

Yeah I didn't think much of it but I was trying to dig up something considering someone above had said there was some 'tension' between Mike and Al.  I hadn't noticed any so the only thing I could muster was this exchange between Mike and Bruce which as you said, was pretty benign.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 09:24:38 AM by Justin » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

BADASS
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »

Al seemed to have some kind of confusion after "Fools", where he thought he was going to set up "Cottonfields" or something, right as Mike was introing "Grow Up" and the band slammed in, and Al was shouting like "wait!" over the first few bars.  So when they got to his Cottonfields intro he made some comment like "before I was so rudely interrupted by the last song...", kind of directed at Mike.  So I don't know what he was expecting to happen, the setlist was followed correctly by all appearances, but while it was all jokey and fun on the surface I just got the impression Al was maybe real sensitive to slights from Mike and wasn't going to let anything pass without comment.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »

Thanks for elaborating anazgnos.  I was right up front and did notice the confusion about the songs but saw everyone laugh about the situation.  Even as Al quipped that he was interrupted, he was all smiles.  As far as I can tell I can't recall Mike doing any intro for "Grow Up' because I just recall the band falling right into the first notes which threw Al off.  So any comment by him would have been directed playfully at the band and not so much Mike.  But perhaps I missed what Mike had said...a guy next to me and I were laughing about the whole thing.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »

Sorry everybody: I have not one single frame of video of California Saga performing their set.  It was made very clear from security that no cameras were allowed---only phones...WTF?  Roll Eyes  Being right up front, I was an easy target and didn't want to make enemies so early in the show so the camera stayed off until much later when it was becoming clear they weren't giving anyone any crap for real cameras being used.

No worries, Justin.  Your many descriptions are almost as good as being there!  Many thanks.  I am sure we'll be hearing more from California Saga.  These kids are awesome!  Anna Lee The Healer!  Un FREAKING-believable!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx