gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:49:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UK !!!  (Read 34141 times)
Mike Lovechild
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2012, 07:58:46 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18251714
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »

Congratulations!!! I knew they wouldn't forget the U.K.!! Enjoy!!!  Rock! Brian, Dennis, & Carl Pirate Beer Banana Thumbs Up w00t!
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

Wonderful !!

I am so happy for all you U.K. fans!!!  You deserve this show and hopefully more to be announced!

Almost Summer!

Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »

You need to be on the O2 mobile network.

If you're not, like me, but know someone who is, you could ask very very kindly for their login details!!

Thanks for the o2 shout ( I'm with them ) - Just noticed on the o2 Priority site that this gig already has 8,893 likes , so its going to be a great laugh trying to get tickets ( NOT !!! )

I have a feeling they'll add a second date on the Saturday-Wembley holds around 12000 so if there's just under 9000 likes already, I think a second show at the O2 could be on the cards
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »

So I'm guessing the statement about having to be wrapped up by August is... no longer operable.
acrossthesea
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 09:18:26 AM »

Great news, it was always going to happen!

Annoyed about the O2 priority tickets, though...

I remember last year when Weezer played Brixton, anybody who had a contract with O2 could just go ahead and skip the queue. (Which bugged me far too much that it should have)

Hope there's good seats left!

Sea Devil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »

got a friend who is on O2 and wants to go so Smiley

but just wondering why O2 have anything to do with this considering it's at wembley and not the O2 arena, does anyone have a source on this?

Still Lurkin'
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »

I am so happy for you guys. Maybe they will add more shows over the next few weeks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »

"The Beach Boys' 50th anniversary world tour, which began in Arizona in April, marks the first time Brian Wilson has toured with the group since the 1960s."  Roll Eyes
SG7
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »

Pirate Pirate

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »

So I'm guessing the statement about having to be wrapped up by August is... no longer operable.

If everyones mental and physical health holds up and there is a demand for more shows I can almost guarantee that the current tour will continue through the year and possibly into the next. If the tour remains successful and there is good money to be made they will continue. And there's nothing wrong with making good money. I know I spent my share on a fantastic evening that I won't soon forget. No regrets. I wish the BB's and the band all the best and I'm thankful that they were able to make a stop in my town.

Once the new album is released I wouldn't be surprised to see autographed copies of it for sale at the shows. We saw them early in the tour but by the time they get to the U.K. they'll only be that much better...or that more tired!!! Shocked LOL  Wink You'll probably hear a few surprises, too.

I can even see them taking a break over the winter holidays and starting up again next year.

After this current tour I'd be happy if Brian at least stays involved with a new album project and Mike, Al, Bruce, and David continue on the road. We will see.....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:01:42 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »

After this current tour I'd be happy if Brian at least stays involved with a new album project and Mike, Al, Bruce, and David continue on the road. We will see.....

Yeah, that worked out great last time! Oh wait!

Kidding, kidding! Yes, all very exciting...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »

It's curious ... and somewhat dismaying. I had expected the tour to wrap in August and then reconvene in the winter for some British dates.

Instead, they seem to be taking a week or two off and then doing some more dates in Europe (my guess, at least). While nice for those who want to see them sooner, this strongly suggests against the notion that the reunited band will be a going concern -- at least for touring. My bet is that Brian and Melinda are eager to wrap up the touring this summer/early fall, period.

This doesn't preclude studio work, of course, but I would have loved to have seen the reunited band keep going with mini tours a time or two every couple of years. This booking move suggests they're trying to burn through all the engagements at once.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  Grin

Now just have to sweat bullets tomorrow when the lines open for tickets...

I hope they add UK dates elsewhere (shame Wembley doesn't have the Saturday and Sunday free) but very glad we'll get at least one gig Smiley
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

I see your point, Wirestone.  Although it does seem that they are urgently trying to wrap everything up within this year, it still is a big deal, I think, that they were able to add the UK date(s) at all.  With the tour officially wrapping in August, it was a wonder at all just if/when they were going to do the UK.  I see them adding the September date as a way to still feed off the momentum they've built.  I'm sure even they know the uncertaintity what the future will hold and they figured it'd be smart to tag on the UK dates while coming off a successful first leg of the tour.  Waiting any longer, say the winter or next spring or whatever, would be risky considering things might change for any number of reasons (one being Brian simply just doesn't want to do it again).  Perhaps Brian/Melinda are better inclined to do these dates while the engines are still warm.  I think they're going about this better than the short-lived reunited Buffalo Springfield last year.  They did a short run of West Coast shows and promised to tour the rest of the world later in the year but Neil predictably postponed and eventually cancelled any future outings with the band.   I'm not saying this is exactly the same situation but I'm glad Brian and team are at least still in the game.  
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »

Why dismaying? Knowing Brian's touring history did you really expect that he'd keep on going? Even his solo tours took long times off in between. I do think Brian will tour with the Beach Boys again, but not until next Spring/Summer at the earliest.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »

It's curious ... and somewhat dismaying. I had expected the tour to wrap in August and then reconvene in the winter for some British dates.

Instead, they seem to be taking a week or two off and then doing some more dates in Europe (my guess, at least). While nice for those who want to see them sooner, this strongly suggests against the notion that the reunited band will be a going concern -- at least for touring. My bet is that Brian and Melinda are eager to wrap up the touring this summer/early fall, period.

This doesn't preclude studio work, of course, but I would have loved to have seen the reunited band keep going with mini tours a time or two every couple of years. This booking move suggests they're trying to burn through all the engagements at once.

My understanding was that the August date was because various people in the band had professional commitments they had to meet (Darian's Disney work, some Mike & Bruce dates or things of that nature). Possibly some of those dates have been rescheduled, freeing up September, but others are firmer dates?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 10:48:49 AM »

Quote from: The Beeb
"The Beach Boys' 50th anniversary world tour, which began in Arizona in April, marks the first time Brian Wilson has toured with the group since the 1960s."  Roll Eyes

I guessing someone has not seen the Knebworth DVD?  LOL

I'm very happy for our friends in the UK. You all are in for a great time!

As for the possibility of other dates, I think that's likely, given the costs of hauling a band, stage, and equipment around the world. It makes more sense to book other venues in the neighborhood, while you've got everything there already. With the Olympics over, it will be much easier to book venues, hotels, and transportation for people and equipment.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »

Pretty sure Darian doesn't work for Disney anymore ... the show he was credited on was cancelled several years ago.

But perhaps he's still doing something for them? ...
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 10:58:26 AM »

Pretty sure Darian doesn't work for Disney anymore ... the show he was credited on was cancelled several years ago.

But perhaps he's still doing something for them? ...
I think he's still contracted to work on various Disney stuff, which he does. Don't have a source at hand, though.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 10:59:45 AM »

Quote from: The Beeb
"The Beach Boys' 50th anniversary world tour, which began in Arizona in April, marks the first time Brian Wilson has toured with the group since the 1960s."  Roll Eyes

I guessing someone has not seen the Knebworth DVD?  LOL

I'm very happy for our friends in the UK. You all are in for a great time!

As for the possibility of other dates, I think that's likely, given the costs of hauling a band, stage, and equipment around the world. It makes more sense to book other venues in the neighborhood, while you've got everything there already. With the Olympics over, it will be much easier to book venues, hotels, and transportation for people and equipment.

My line of reasoning. Of course I hope to have them here in Holland, but basically I agree: Olympics done and over with, and opportunities to cover the costs and make some money, which is no shame at all. And perhaps the first bookings outside the US were a bit on the tentative side, not knowing how the whole enterprise would turn out. And it did turn out very well, so far.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

I'm gonna bet they do "Surf's Up" and a few more SMiLE cuts over there in the UK.

I'm calling it right now.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »

We Americans are too dumbed-down for all that high-brow Smile music.  Roll Eyes

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

We Americans are too dumbed-down for all that high-brow Smile music.  Roll Eyes

Yeah. It's just, em, too smart, man, too much heaviosity, knowwhaddamean?

For the U.S.: Kokomo, Here Comes The Night (1978), Smart Girls, all of SIP, Looking Back With Love, and, for some intelleckshul psychodrama: I'm Bugged At My Old Man.

For the U.K.: Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Wind Chimes, Wonderful, In Blue Hawaii, Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again, Diamond Head, Passing By, Airplane Song, Steamboat, All I Wanna Do, Cool Cool Water, This Whole World, Let Him Run Wild, and more.

That's the way it is, buddy.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »

"Hey maw!  They're playin' some more of that funny smiling pet shop music! Git over heeya and listen to this!"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx