gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:35:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Saga - The next generation  (Read 25285 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2017, 03:24:17 PM »

It seems there were future plans but obviously nothing came of them.

http://news.radio.com/2012/07/12/meet-california-saga-new-band-comprised-of-beach-boys-kids/

Let's not forget, during the time of C50, the Cal Saga band and Mike also publicly talked about them doing a tour opening for "The Beach Boys". And nobody is gonna convince me that this could possibly under any circumstances would have been the M&B show. So without a doubt, the C50 ending debacle had to have messed up the momentum of Cal Saga in *some* capacity.

Sucks.

That's just another one of the crazy aspects of C50 and what the participants may have anticipated, versus what they actually said, and so on.

A quick search shows that the CalSaga Grammy Museum gig was July 10th. That was the show where Mike gave an emotional speech and also talked about the band opening for "The Beach Boys" in the future (I vaguely recall Mike saying either "next summer" or "next year", but someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yet, based on the available information, I would guess Mike was already booking his post-C50 shows by July of 2012 (if not earlier). While it's impossible to know what was going on in Mike's head or what Mike may have been planning, I've for quite some time subscribed to the theory that, while nobody is ever 100% decided on anything, Mike knew from the outset and/or soon into the tour that he wasn't going to do more reunion stuff.

So if that was the case by July, Mike was either just making polite speech conversation, or he actually thought it was plausible for *that* band to open for *his* licensed "Beach Boys" the following year.

It's not impossible that Mike truly thought that so quickly ending the reunion and going back to his own thing would *not* result in anyone complaining or lamenting such a turn of events.

To be fair, other than Bruce who creepily and weirdly was happy to point out from the outset that the reunion was a short venture, most of the rest of the guys were vague and confusing with their statements (or lack of statements). Al said in that one interview that they were reuniting "one last time", yet he was the one more than anybody else who truly seemed to actually think Mike would give up his own band and stay with the reunion going forward. I guess one could argue Al meant they'd be staying together permanently thus no longer necessitating another reunion. In any event, these guys were sending out mixed signals based both on what they said and didn't say.

I still contend that I get the feeling Al was coached or told to specifically say that "one final time" thing for marketing purposes. I don't really truly buy that he meant it. Let's face it: the band "fired" Brian back in 1982 and had to actually tell him that it was their intention to fire him, even though they didn't really mean it. I don't think they're above outright fibbing - even in front of the cameras - about stuff that they know isn't entirely true.

I was there at the Grammy Museum twice, once for the Cal Saga performance, and once for the BBs performance (both had Q&As), so I firsthand witnessed when Mike had the emotional moment (which I was moved by), and I also witnessed him mentioning Cal Saga being an upcoming opening band for The BBs. If only I'd raised my hand to ask him for details.

I could also *perhaps* buy the idea that Mike might have thought that eventually he'd be able to go back to the M&B show, with Brian, Al, and Dave making occasional appearances at some shows with them, but only on Mike's terms.  I could buy that he might have thought that scenario could have played out eventually, and been thinking about Cal Saga opening for The BBs with Brian, Al, and Dave in tow.

Or maybe Mike really was dense enough to think that there wouldn't be any bad blood from Brian or Al for kicking them to the curb, and that their kids would all just happily open for only M&B. But that seems just really implausible, even as a potential Mike idea. It really goes to show Mike's lack of logic in terms of going back to "normal" after booting three members from their own band, and thinking that things can just be A-OK after that. Especially after Brian wanted to be a Beach Boy again, even if that was an about face for him, it became a reality that Mike thought he could simply quash without consequences. It all just kinda blows my mind. Cal Saga's fate feels like collateral damage.  Cry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:46:09 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2017, 03:26:58 PM »

Oh great. Another thread turning into the C50 breakup.    Undecided

Well to be fair, that sad event absolutely impacted all sorts of other things. It very likely pertains, at least partially, to the cessation of activity of this awesome group with amazing potential. That bugs me deeply, and it should bug all fans who want to be honest and realistic about things. I don't think anyone can have a realistic convo about why this great group Cal Saga isn't making music anymore without discussing how the C50 breakup might have impacted things. Let's not be ostriches here.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 03:30:56 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »

Or maybe Mike really was dense enough to think that there wouldn't be any bad blood from Brian or Al for kicking them to the curb, and that their kids would all just happily open for only M&B. But that seems just really implausible, even as a potential Mike idea. It really goes to show Mike's lack of logic in terms of going back to "normal" after booting three members from their own band, and thinking that things can just be A-OK after that.

Well Mike did have form. He kicked out Al in 98 and Matt continued (contractually?) with M&B for a time.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:06:03 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »

Or maybe Mike really was dense enough to think that there wouldn't be any bad blood from Brian or Al for kicking them to the curb, and that their kids would all just happily open for only M&B. But that seems just really implausible, even as a potential Mike idea. It really goes to show Mike's lack of logic in terms of going back to "normal" after booting three members from their own band, and thinking that things can just be A-OK after that.

Well Mike did have form. He kicked out Al in 98 and Matt continued (contractually?) with M&B for a time.

True, and that must have been a pretty awkward situation, which understandably didn't last long. I wonder if Mike would have had the chutzpah to sue Al and attack Al with as much venom and bile as he did, had Matt stayed on in Mike's band.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2017, 06:04:38 PM »

Oh great. Another thread turning into the C50 breakup.    Undecided

The CalSaga project was pretty closely tied to and was arguably a result of C50, and the demise of both are likely related. So C50 is quite germane.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »

True, and that must have been a pretty awkward situation, which understandably didn't last long. I wonder if Mike would have had the chutzpah to sue Al and attack Al with as much venom and bile as he did, had Matt stayed on in Mike's band.

I think the sort of inadvertent answer to your question is that Matt Jardine left, and left pretty quickly. From what I recall talking to "insiders" back around that time, there were (not surprisingly) allegedly not a lot of nice things being said about Al out on the road at that time, and as the allegation/supposition went way back then, this hastened Matt's decision to quit. For all we know, had Matt for some strange reason insisted on staying, he may have been dismissed eventually anyway.

You can tell from Al's 2000 Goldmine interview that Matt still being in the touring band was an awkward, likely untenable (in the long run) situation:

After Carl passed away, you were still in the band and then decided to leave the Love touring lineup sometime after that.

Right. It became one of those moments. Love continued to tour. He didn't stop touring. He just didn't want to tour in that modality. That wasn't his idea of "fun, fun, fun." [laughs] So he continued to work with his band, The California Beach Band, and he would go out and do dates and have surrogate singers do Carl's parts. I thought that was tasteless. While at the same time not going out with the Beach Boys because of Carl's passing so there's some kind of contradiction in that, in my opinion. In fact, my son Matthew at the time was still in that employ, which I did not disagree with because I don't want him to not be able to earn a living. But at some point it got uncomfortable.

So at what point did you pack it in with that lineup?

When Mike refused to tour with the Beach Boys. He just refused to tour with us in any fashion. I can't go into detail with you right now, [but] it got reorganized where Love took the band with an exclusive license and I didn't. And Bruce decided to go with the guy who sang all the hits. Matthew had to make some decisions of his own. We decided to form this entity - Beach Boys, Family And Friends, which I felt would more accurately define the harmonies and the vitality of what was missing in the waning years of the band.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:23:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2017, 08:11:22 AM »

After Carl passed away, you were still in the band and then decided to leave the Love touring lineup sometime after that.

Right. It became one of those moments. Love continued to tour. He didn't stop touring. He just didn't want to tour in that modality. That wasn't his idea of "fun, fun, fun." [laughs] So he continued to work with his band, The California Beach Band, and he would go out and do dates and have surrogate singers do Carl's parts. I thought that was tasteless. While at the same time not going out with the Beach Boys because of Carl's passing so there's some kind of contradiction in that, in my opinion. In fact, my son Matthew at the time was still in that employ, which I did not disagree with because I don't want him to not be able to earn a living. But at some point it got uncomfortable.

So at what point did you pack it in with that lineup?

When Mike refused to tour with the Beach Boys. He just refused to tour with us in any fashion. I can't go into detail with you right now, [but] it got reorganized where Love took the band with an exclusive license and I didn't. And Bruce decided to go with the guy who sang all the hits. Matthew had to make some decisions of his own. We decided to form this entity - Beach Boys, Family And Friends, which I felt would more accurately define the harmonies and the vitality of what was missing in the waning years of the band.

I don't know if I ever read that interview; if I did, it's been a long, long time ago. Anyway, that paragraph quoted above sounds eerily reminiscing of 2012.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:13:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx