gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:57:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Saga - The next generation  (Read 25286 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »

I think they sound really fantastic with their 2nd generation sibling & genetically related blend, they have their family's true soul and spirit and a deep affinity & connection with their parents' music. Justyn sounds amazingly like his father. To hear DEEP cuts like Friends, Anna Lee & Little Bird that have NEVER been performed live (the latter 2 anyway) is spine-tingling. Shocked

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »

Facebook:

California Saga
ALERT! Public on sale is in two hours for next weeks show in Los Angeles. There are only a few tickets left after the American Express presale so be sure to log on at exactly noon! We will be taking audience questions and doing an interview for the Grammy archive as part of our show!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/American-Express-Presents-An-Evening-With-California-Saga-tickets/artist/1746769

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:49 AM »

Facebook:

California Saga
ALERT! Public on sale is in two hours for next weeks show in Los Angeles. There are only a few tickets left after the American Express presale so be sure to log on at exactly noon! We will be taking audience questions and doing an interview for the Grammy archive as part of our show!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/American-Express-Presents-An-Evening-With-California-Saga-tickets/artist/1746769

From the Event info: 
>>

Price Range

Please Note...

Beginning of dialog contentOver the last 50 years the Beach Boys have become one of the most successful bands in American music history. As they celebrate that anniversary with a new album and an international tour, their children come to together to honor that legacy and write a new chapter in this family band. California Saga is a band comprising of the historic bloodlines that fueled some of the greatest songs in the pop music songbook. With a rare vocal blend only possible in siblings, the band explores the Beach Boys rarities catalog and brings to life songs that may never have been performed live before. Featuring Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson, Christian Love, Ambha Love, Justyn Wilson, Carl B. Wilson, Marr Jardine and Adam Jardine, the band will be joined on stage by Vice President of the GRAMMY Foundation and MusiCares Scott Goldman for a rare interview and intimate performance. << 

Is Marr Jardine, Matt and Adam's sister? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 12:19:51 PM »

I missed out on tickets because a coworker was talking to me about his kids.  When I realized what time it was...it was 11 minutes after the hour and tickets were gone.

Juuuuuuuuuust great.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 12:28:54 PM »

You can bet the scalpers didn't let anything get in their way....

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

I missed out on tickets because a coworker was talking to me about his kids.  When I realized what time it was...it was 11 minutes after the hour and tickets were gone.

Juuuuuuuuuust great.

Go back on Ticketmaster, there are tix back up onsale! ($34+ on a $20 face ticket, thanks to this lovely company)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:43 PM »

You're a star!  Thanks so much for the heads up...just scored a ticket!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »

Is there a setlist available?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

Maybe let's organize a Smiley Smile Board meetup there!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

Yeah we should!...did anyone else get tickets?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »

It's a typo, R and T are right next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »

It's a typo, R and T are right next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard.

Sure, I'll play: 
QIQ, tiy'ew eufgr!

BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »

I hope Mike doesn't sue them!

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »

Just posted on the official site:

http://www.grammy.com/videos/grammy-museum-an-evening-with-california-saga
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:39:31 PM by Justin » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »

Great!

Is anyone able to rip these?

13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2017, 06:24:29 AM »

Whatever happened with this project? Did they split up? Record any material?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

While the C50 fallout most likely wasn't the main factor in the "group's" apparent demise/hiatus, it certainly couldn't have helped. In several cases, the offspring of the band members (perhaps most notably Ambha Love) have been roped into online debates/arguments concerning various aspects of the band, Mike, and/or the C50 demise. I also wonder if it would have been another "reunion" tour leg that would have allowed the CalSaga band to have an easy/obvious avenue to do more shows.

I also think that the various members had/have varying degrees of interest in making music a major deal in their careers/lives.

They supposedly *did* do some amount of recording in some permutation. But the fact that a group of relatively well-off folks who also don't have apparent super busy music careers couldn't find time in the last five years to record an album or do even a single additional live gig tells me they're either not super interested, or do have other intervening life/career factors. It's probably some of all of the above.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
13thBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »

While the C50 fallout most likely wasn't the main factor in the "group's" apparent demise/hiatus, it certainly couldn't have helped. In several cases, the offspring of the band members (perhaps most notably Ambha Love) have been roped into online debates/arguments concerning various aspects of the band, Mike, and/or the C50 demise. I also wonder if it would have been another "reunion" tour leg that would have allowed the CalSaga band to have an easy/obvious avenue to do more shows.

I also think that the various members had/have varying degrees of interest in making music a major deal in their careers/lives.

They supposedly *did* do some amount of recording in some permutation. But the fact that a group of relatively well-off folks who also don't have apparent super busy music careers couldn't find time in the last five years to record an album or do even a single additional live gig tells me they're either not super interested, or do have other intervening life/career factors. It's probably some of all of the above.

That's unfortunate, I am on the look out for the post Brian/Mike BB days any year now and that would have been a nice group to support. I watched a few performances on YouTube and it seemed a little sloppy. Just ten people on stage all singing the same part of songs. I would have hoped for a nicer presentation but you're probably right, their heart wasn't in it I suppose.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2017, 10:18:36 AM »

I too don't think it's a stretch to surmise that the fallout of C50 might well have been a contributing factor to the non-momentum of this project. Another gift we can thank probably Mike and his ego for.

I do think this project was absolutely a conscious attempt by the next generation to help come together to heal the wounds and rifts that happened between their parents, yet I have to think the intense negative energy swirling between the parents after C50 imploded could not have helped make this a viable thing. Too much baggage, and it was no longer stuff of the past when terribly negative stuff was brewing - and worsening - right then in the present.

I can't imagine what it would be like regularly coming to band rehearsal the day after your cousin's dad publicly talked smack about your dad in an interview for the umpteenth time. Nobody wants to deal with the drama of that; even if the members get along really well, it must have been a dark cloud over everything. Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems like a reasonable educated guess to me. That, and also the other reasons HeyJude stated above probably contributed too.

I'm quite, quite bummed because I was really blown away and genuinely moved by seeing them live.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:28:44 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »

Did they ever have any kind of record/ recording deal? They did the Hollywood Bowl show so any offers would have come from that town, or none at all.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »

Did they ever have any kind of record/ recording deal? They did the Hollywood Bowl show so any offers would have come from that town, or none at all.

I don't think it was even anywhere near that far along. It seems like it was a relatively quickly-arranged thing.

I don't think they set out to be like a band with a record deal. It was more just an ad-hoc thing that, at most, had the potential to turn into more gigs and maybe a recording of some sort. I think busy schedules, varying degrees of interest, and the embarrassing end to the C50 tour probably all contributed to the project not taking off.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »

According to their FB page they were last active in 2014.

https://www.facebook.com/calsaga/

It seems there were future plans but obviously nothing came of them.

http://news.radio.com/2012/07/12/meet-california-saga-new-band-comprised-of-beach-boys-kids/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2017, 01:16:22 PM »

http://news.radio.com/2012/07/12/meet-california-saga-new-band-comprised-of-beach-boys-kids/

Let's not forget, during the time of C50, the Cal Saga band and Mike also publicly talked about them doing a tour opening for "The Beach Boys". And nobody is gonna convince me that this could possibly under any circumstances would have been the M&B show. So without a doubt, the C50 ending debacle had to have messed up the momentum of Cal Saga in *some* capacity.

Sucks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Let's not forget, during the time of C50, the Cal Saga band and Mike also publicly talked about them doing a tour opening for "The Beach Boys". And nobody is gonna convince me that this could possibly under any circumstances would have been the M&B show. So without a doubt, the C50 ending debacle had to have messed up the momentum of Cal Saga in *some* capacity.

Sucks.

That's just another one of the crazy aspects of C50 and what the participants may have anticipated, versus what they actually said, and so on.

A quick search shows that the CalSaga Grammy Museum gig was July 10th. That was the show where Mike gave an emotional speech and also talked about the band opening for "The Beach Boys" in the future (I vaguely recall Mike saying either "next summer" or "next year", but someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yet, based on the available information, I would guess Mike was already booking his post-C50 shows by July of 2012 (if not earlier). While it's impossible to know what was going on in Mike's head or what Mike may have been planning, I've for quite some time subscribed to the theory that, while nobody is ever 100% decided on anything, Mike knew from the outset and/or soon into the tour that he wasn't going to do more reunion stuff.

So if that was the case by July, Mike was either just making polite speech conversation, or he actually thought it was plausible for *that* band to open for *his* licensed "Beach Boys" the following year.

It's not impossible that Mike truly thought that so quickly ending the reunion and going back to his own thing would *not* result in anyone complaining or lamenting such a turn of events.

To be fair, other than Bruce who creepily and weirdly was happy to point out from the outset that the reunion was a short venture, most of the rest of the guys were vague and confusing with their statements (or lack of statements). Al said in that one interview that they were reuniting "one last time", yet he was the one more than anybody else who truly seemed to actually think Mike would give up his own band and stay with the reunion going forward. I guess one could argue Al meant they'd be staying together permanently thus no longer necessitating another reunion. In any event, these guys were sending out mixed signals based both on what they said and didn't say.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:23:10 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »

Oh great. Another thread turning into the C50 breakup.    Undecided
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx