gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:35:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 18: Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL 5/22/12  (Read 25041 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »

I get how everybody sitting, and certainly people yelling at people to sit down, can drain an overall feeling of fun and energy out of a live show. But to actually be indignant about somebody's choice to sit down is ridiculous. If someone else sitting down ruins the show for you, I don't know what to say. Sorry people, but I'm paying attention to the guys on stage, not people around me who are sitting. Those people not dancing and throwing beach balls doesn't ruin anything for me. Somone else sitting down doesn't block your view. But *sometimes* people standing do block the view of those who choose to sit or who need to sit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »

I forget after which song...could have been "California Girls" everyone stood.  Then they all began to lower themselves to their seats....I said loudly, "Let's all sit down again..." to which the guy next to me nodded and shrugged his shoulders like "Yeah I know.."   Undecided

Well, at least you're being mature about it........

Seriously, I don't even think enough about the audience to formulate these sorts of thoughts. I'm paying attention to performers on stage.

When the audience starts getting drunk or aggressive, that's a whole seprate issue of course. And yes, drunk idiots at concerts are a million times more annoying than someone who -gasp- chooses to sit in their chair during the show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »

After saving for months, and getting this VIP package...I really don't care who tells me to sit down...unless they threaten to drag me out by my ankles! LOL

But seriously, I understand how it is. It will be a mostly older crowd. Looking at the current set, I'll probably stand until Surfer Girl. It's a slower one, and a lot of people LOVE it (not a personal favorite)...Then I'll probably sit till the car songs...the second set...I'll probably be up the whole time. LOL
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:05 PM »

I have Cerebral Palsy, i walk on crutches most of the time.  There is no way i can stand for any length of time, if a 6 foot tall man stands in front of me i can't see. I paid my money like evryone else. How is that fair? I'll be at Saratoga.  Get excited about that.

DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Setlist:

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
Marcella
Then I Kissed Her (The Crystals cover)
This Whole World
Why Do Fools Fall in Love (Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers cover)
When I Grow Up
Cottonfields
It's OK
Be True to Your School
Disney Girls
Kiss Me, Baby
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Set II

Add Some Music to Your Day
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Sail On Sailor
All This Is That
Heroes And Villains
That's Why God Made the Radio
In My Room
Forever
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
California Girls
Help Me Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music (Chuck Berry cover)
Do You Wanna Dance? (Bobby Freeman cover)
Surfin' USA

Encore:

Kokomo
Barbara Ann (The Regents cover)
Fun Fun Fun
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »

After saving for months, and getting this VIP package...I really don't care who tells me to sit down...unless they threaten to drag me out by my ankles! LOL

But seriously, I understand how it is. It will be a mostly older crowd. Looking at the current set, I'll probably stand until Surfer Girl. It's a slower one, and a lot of people LOVE it (not a personal favorite)...Then I'll probably sit till the car songs...the second set...I'll probably be up the whole time. LOL

That's messed up. Yeah, you paid your VIP money. So friggin' what? The guy in back of you can't see and HE PAID TOO.
Imagine how you would feel - your one chance to see the band you love, and some guy in the next row ruins it for you.
Be considerate of others. You wanna have a good time, I understand. I went to a Beach Boys show. We all sat, were respectful of one another, and had a good time. There are times to stand, it's not like you are sitting down for every single song.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »

Jude, you're a fence walker!  Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 12:52:31 PM »

When I went to a BW show in NYC, it was a ballroom show, everyone sat through gershwin but stood for the hits.

Met some awesome guys there, really nice fans most of the time, bashing Landy with fellow fans was an amazing experience :D

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »

I went to both Chicago shows.  The first night I was near center on the floor about 20 rows back.  Last night I was off to the side in a private mezzanine box.

I felt the first night was probably a little better, but that might be due to the crowd overall.  I did prefer This Whole World over California Dreaming.  

Being in the box for me was so much better.  I wasn't as close, but the sound was crystal clear where we were, I had no one standing in front of me so I could sit or stand as I pleased and I had unlimited leg room.  I've been to a lot of concerts and I don't always want to stand anymore.  Having the box eliminated that problem.  In the box next to us were two guys that I would descibe as heavy metal fans that accidentally ended up at a Beach Boys show.  They were constantly getting up and buying beers (too dumb to realize that there was a waitress that would bring them anything they wanted during the show).  They also were the type of BB fan that only has two albums (Pet Sounds and SMiLE).  So of course during the Pet Sounds songs they were screaming, "F**K yeah!  Brian f**king Wilson!" even though there were elderly people right next to them.  They had ZERO class.  When Kokomo came on, I purposely yelled in their direction "This is WAY better than SMiLE!" Evil  Before I did that, one of them was actually standing there with both middle fingers out pointing towards the band to show his displeasure with Kokomo.  By the way, I'm not really a Kokomo fan either, but it's ok.

I thought Brian was best on Heroes and Villians and the end of Marcella.  Overall, he was rough and out of tune most of the night.  I could hear him clearly from my seat.  Maybe they should add some echo to help him a little?

Al and Bruce were strong as usual, Mike was solid too.  And the high point last night - the footage of them in the studio during Good Vibrations!!!  

Even though it was awesome seeing all them up there with a great setlist, I think I enjoyed the Brian Wilson show last summer even more.  His band was a much bigger part of his show and it was fun with him being the center of attention.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »

Jude, you're a fence walker!  Grin

LOL Yeah, pretty much..... I'm getting a bit less diplomatic in my older age.

If someone is actually standing at these shows and someone behind you earnestly and politely asks you if you can sit down because they literally can't see, and you ignore them, then yeah, you're kind of a d**k.

If you try to make others feel bad because they don't stand or dance, then you're kind of a d**k.

In a few more years I'll be older and even less willing to hedge, and I'll leave out the "kind of" part.  LOL

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

My mother is a fan of the group, too, so she'll be enjoying Darien Lake right there with me.  At sixty years old, and walking with a cane, there's no way she could stand the whole time and dance like I know she'd love to, and at only 5'2'', someone standing in front of her will be blocking her view.  Here and there, of course (especially during the most beloved numbers), we're more than cool.  Blocking her view for the whole show becomes a problem when you can't be considerate enough to think about the other guy (even after being gently reminded).

Another thing to maybe keep in mind is that while this is a rock show, and no opera, it's also a show that will inevitably be filled by ian audience with its share of near-retirement to full-on senior citizens just who can't be expected to enjoy the show in the same way as some who may be younger, healthier, etc.  You paid your $ and should be able to stand and dance, but so did every other person sitting around you.  Reading some of these posts from self-absorbed folks just leaves me kind of shaking my head, to be honest.  I mean, the lack of common freaking courtesy for others.

And someone mentioned the drunks - boy, the people who may be perfectly nice, but turn into drunk a-holes, embarassing themselves, bumping into people, spilling their drinks and shouting out every word of every number (off key) until they're hoarse are just the worst kind of concert-goers to be near, huh?  I'm a musician who likes to study the artists I enjoy most in a live context, but even minus that, I think most folks probably go to these shows to be transported to a place of musical wonder by the band, though I do recognize that some just like to party.

Hey, here's a thought.  Why not dance in the aisles during the numbers where not everybody is up and groovin' it?  Last time I saw Ringo in Canandaigua, that was what I saw happen and it looked like a nice compromise.  I remember thinking maybe the ushers would try to keep them clear, but even they didn't seem to mind.  Is that cool, mister and missus dance-alot?  Whichever side you're on, enjoy the show, but maybe just try not to forget the other guy!

Love and respect.
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:58 PM »

Most of this just comes down to common courtesy. Don't get obnoxiously drunk and don't do anything to seriously impede other people's enjoyment. For Monday nights show, I was in the front row of the balcony and I noted as I was sitting down that the older gentleman behind me had a cane. I decided to only stand during ovations or when practically the whole house was up. I would have liked to danced more, or been able to show my appreciation for more of the songs by standing, but that would not have been cool. Especially considering I'm 5'10" flat footed and probably around 6'1" with the shoes I was wearing, I'm sure the older folk behind me were thankful.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Encore:

Kokomo
California Saga/My Solution/Swedish Frog/Cease To Exist medley
Fun Fun Fun

Uh, what???  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:44 PM »

Outdoor standing shows are the best!

I went to a show about 2.5 weeks ago and I was standing and I had several miserable (older) people just going nuts telling me to sit and that they couldn't see! I was shocked. You're at a Beach Boys concert! LOL those types of people should be up in the balcony....or at home being miserable... Sad

I'm an old guy and the wife and I were on our feet in row G taking pics, getting busted by the ushers, and shouting out the Mints in the back row of the stage!
(some of the other old folks around us must have been annoyed with us......WTF!!!!!)
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »

This is the only clip (and a very short one) that I could find from this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNL1u7fz-t8

Cry

DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 02:41:45 AM »

..and another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13y1ZseFrKA
 Undecided
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »

The show I went to at the Beacon was the only show I've ever been to where the crowd stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, et cetera. It was really annoying. I would prefer to sit the whole time (standing is a chore no matter how young you are) but my option 2 would be to stand the whole time. I devoted way too much energy to standing up and sitting down and standing up and sitting down. at concerts where I don't care if I see the people on the stage I just sit the whole time.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:42 PM »

The show I went to at the Beacon was the only show I've ever been to where the crowd stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, et cetera. It was really annoying.

Throw a few kneel down spots in there, and you'd have a Catholic mass.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:12 PM »

Encore:

Kokomo
California Saga/My Solution/Swedish Frog/Cease To Exist medley
Fun Fun Fun

Uh, what???  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
You've got it, Swedish Frog is their tour de force. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:44:02 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »

Had a great time last night! The only downside was this woman who sat close to me telling me to sit down all the time. I got up when This Whole World started and she told me to sit down. She wasn't even behind me so I wasn't blocking her view. When a lot of people got up to dance she was ok with that, but if it was just me and my cousin she would get rude. I'm sorry but just like its her choice to sit down the whole show its my choice if I want to dance or whatever.

I hate when these stupid women do this. It has happened to me on a few occasions. When I saw Australian Pink Floyd a few years ago my dad and I were'nt even standing just doing the beat with out knees for Run Like Hell and this stupid woman told us to sit still. My dad started laughing in her face and asked her to get real.

Funny part was she brought her camera up when a bunch of kids came to sing Another Brick In The Wall - II so she was obviously a mother who didnt care at all for the music.
WOMEN GTFO!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »

Had a great time last night! The only downside was this woman who sat close to me telling me to sit down all the time. I got up when This Whole World started and she told me to sit down. She wasn't even behind me so I wasn't blocking her view. When a lot of people got up to dance she was ok with that, but if it was just me and my cousin she would get rude. I'm sorry but just like its her choice to sit down the whole show its my choice if I want to dance or whatever.

I hate when these stupid women do this. It has happened to me on a few occasions. When I saw Australian Pink Floyd a few years ago my dad and I were'nt even standing just doing the beat with out knees for Run Like Hell and this stupid woman told us to sit still. My dad started laughing in her face and asked her to get real.

Funny part was she brought her camera up when a bunch of kids came to sing Another Brick In The Wall - II so she was obviously a mother who didnt care at all for the music.
WOMEN GTFO!

Please leave the board.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

The show I went to at the Beacon was the only show I've ever been to where the crowd stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, then stands up, then sits down, et cetera. It was really annoying.

Exactly, but, God Only Knows, even back to the Latin Mass, no one ever had such fun.

Stand, sit, stand, kneel, sit.  That is funny!

[A survivor of 12 years of the nuns.] 

It is probably good to move around, even to the bar. 

You could get a blood clot sitting for 2 hours!

It is pretty bad to think in those terms. 

But, it is rock and roll and, not a play.

Overall, people seem SO contagiously happy about this tour. 

It is great to read everyone's reactions. 

Probably not a place to get into a beef with anyone, and just have a good time.  Wink 

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »

LOL (I'm a Catholic, so true)

By the way, I'm just curious, what kind of dancing do you guys do? I'm young, and the only dancing young people do at dances/clubs/etc is quite sexual (sort of disturbing, actually) and not something I could imagine people doing at rock concerts. So I'm clueless as to how this dancing thing works. I mean, are we talking the boogie woogie?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »

LOL (I'm a Catholic, so true)

By the way, I'm just curious, what kind of dancing do you guys do? I'm young, and the only dancing young people do at dances/clubs/etc is quite sexual (sort of disturbing, actually) and not something I could imagine people doing at rock concerts. So I'm clueless as to how this dancing thing works. I mean, are we talking the boogie woogie?

Watch and learn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuXzMPkSHsc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYh0yBsYeSU
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:25 PM »

i'm 2 weeks from my show, i'm gonna try and stand when I can.  I honestly don't mind sitting, but certain tunes like sloop and WIBN, i'm standing no matter what.  I also think (from watching youtube videos) that brian enjoys it when everyone is up dancing and stuff.  I don't wanna be rude to anyone around me, but i don't want my fun to be spoiled by them. 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx