gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:04:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 18: Chicago Theatre - Chicago, IL 5/22/12  (Read 24894 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:30:24 AM »

Show info here
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:03:22 AM »

I will be at this one. Can't provide updates as they happen since I don't have a fancy phone but I'll certainly post a review afterward. I'll be attending this concert alone unfortunately since no one I know shares my fondness of the Boys so if there's any board members attending who want to buy me a beer  Grin I'll be the blond haired kid in a vintage 1980 Beach Boys baseball t sitting in Row C Aisle 7 on Main Floor 1L.

I hope they do a new album cut. Isn't it time would make my night.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »

I hope this is the night the bring out some new songs California Saga ? maybe bring back This Whole World I hope so. Grin
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for California Saga as well. And I'm hoping they play another cut from the new album as well. Hopefully Isn't It Time because the clip I heard has been permanently stuck in my head for the last week. I think it would be pretty smokin live too.
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:12 PM »

Just got back from the show. Setlist was pretty much exactly the same as last night except they dropped California Dreamin' and added This whole world. Everyone sounded great. Brian sang very sweetly and Bruce sounded amazing on Disney Girls. He did this really cool falsetto thing at the end that sounded really cool. I couldn't believe how good he sounded hitting those high notes. The band was smokin, everyone was great. The audience were enjoying their comfortable seats a little too much for my liking but it was an enjoyable show nonetheless.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »

My pics

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

Just got back from the show. Setlist was pretty much exactly the same as last night except they dropped California Dreamin' and added This whole world.
Dammit! "This Whole World" was one of the songs I was really looking forward to hearing live but of course I wound up going to last night's show. Oh, well...

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »

Just got back from the show. Setlist was pretty much exactly the same as last night except they dropped California Dreamin' and added This whole world.
Dammit! "This Whole World" was one of the songs I was really looking forward to hearing live but of course I wound up going to last night's show. Oh, well...

Brian did a great job singing it tonight. I've heard him sound pretty bad on it before but this time he really did a very good job. The only song he was bad on was Sail on Sailor. Other than that he sounded better than I've ever heard him live and he was very prominent on the backgrounds of several songs.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:19:55 PM »

The only song he was bad on was Sail on Sailor.

That's funny, because he sounded fantastic on "Sail on Sailor" last night.

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:36 PM »

Yeah, I mean it wasn't awful. The little growl he does on "damn the thunder" was pretty cool. But he stumbles in parts where it gets too wordy as has been discussed. I'd like to hear Al or Dave give it a whirl.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »

Great pics! But I admit, this one kinda looks like Nicolas Cage in heavy prosthetics as Old Brian for the triumphant closing credits montage of the next bad made-4-TV Movie!

Great to see him having fun at this show tho. Ohpleaseohpleaseplease be in this mood for the CA shows, Mr. Wilson!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

The audience were enjoying their comfortable seats a little too much for my liking but it was an enjoyable show nonetheless.

I was really bothered by the lazy crowd....or I guess I should say 'older' crowd.  Sigh.  Not even standing during "Sloop John B"??  WTF?  At one point I looked behind me and saw the section behind me standing and dancing, and for a second wished I sat back there.  Luckily everyone got up for the greatest hits home stretch.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 01:17:29 AM »

The audience were enjoying their comfortable seats a little too much for my liking but it was an enjoyable show nonetheless.

I was really bothered by the lazy crowd....or I guess I should say 'older' crowd.  Sigh.  Not even standing during "Sloop John B"??  WTF?  At one point I looked behind me and saw the section behind me standing and dancing, and for a second wished I sat back there.  Luckily everyone got up for the greatest hits home stretch.
I wouldn't mind if every BB show I went to was just standing (no seats)...those are the funnest shows! 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »

Brian looks so stoned in that picture.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 05:40:11 AM »

Outdoor standing shows are the best!

I went to a show about 2.5 weeks ago and I was standing and I had several miserable (older) people just going nuts telling me to sit and that they couldn't see! I was shocked. You're at a Beach Boys concert! LOL those types of people should be up in the balcony....or at home being miserable... Sad

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 05:55:30 AM »

Outdoor standing shows are the best!

I went to a show about 2.5 weeks ago and I was standing and I had several miserable (older) people just going nuts telling me to sit and that they couldn't see! I was shocked. You're at a Beach Boys concert! LOL those types of people should be up in the balcony....or at home being miserable... Sad

Yeah, at the risk of sounding like a fence-walker, there's kind of no way to reconcile this. But I don't like the assumption that just because someone is sitting for some, most, or all of a show, they are a "stick in the mud" or they are not enjoying the show as much as anyone else. Maybe you enjoy the show by standing and moving around, and someone else enjoys the show by sitting and listening. And no, I'm not describing myself. I probably don't need to stand for entire shows. That's just a comfort thing; I don't find it comfortable to stand in one spot for two hours. Some sitting (or walking around if possible) is preferable during portions. I don't have a bad back, but that's another reason some people may sit. Also, if you've got someone much taller in front of you, that is sometimes made even worse when standing as opposed to sitting.

I'd have to say someone standing, dancing around, drunkedly singing along to every song is far more annoying to everybody than someone quietly sitting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:15:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 09:31:01 AM »

Had a great time last night! The only downside was this woman who sat close to me telling me to sit down all the time. I got up when This Whole World started and she told me to sit down. She wasn't even behind me so I wasn't blocking her view. When a lot of people got up to dance she was ok with that, but if it was just me and my cousin she would get rude. I'm sorry but just like its her choice to sit down the whole show its my choice if I want to dance or whatever.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

Had a great time last night! The only downside was this woman who sat close to me telling me to sit down all the time. I got up when This Whole World started and she told me to sit down. She wasn't even behind me so I wasn't blocking her view. When a lot of people got up to dance she was ok with that, but if it was just me and my cousin she would get rude. I'm sorry but just like its her choice to sit down the whole show its my choice if I want to dance or whatever.

You don't feel as though your choice to stand up seriously inhibits her choice to sit?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 09:54:31 AM »

There are many people who have limited mobility who nonetheless want to enjoy a concert. If everyone is standing up, and they're okay with it, that suggests that they're not trying to be sticks in the mud or anything. They just want to be able to watch a show.
othereric
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »

No one is ever justified in demanding another concert-goer to stay seated. It's a Rock concert not an opera. I'm sure the band would appreciate it if people would stand for the majority of the show as well. It's one thing to sit the whole time if you have some kind of back issue or whatever--but to demand that other people sit down just because you can't or won't stand up is beyond rude.

Anyway, just my thought. And I gotta reiterate that the people sitting the whole time really, really drained a lot of energy out of the show. Seriously, if you're not standing for Sloop John B then you need your head examined.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »

I'm not one to stand up at concerts. I don't like to dance. But I won't stop others if they want to.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:32:35 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

Wow Be True To Your School sounded great. I almost like this arrangement better than the original recording.  Shocked
Jason
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

If Dennis was around to see these curmudgeons sitting down in the audience he'd immediately bark "EVERYBODY OFF YOUR ASS! COME ON! GET UP!"
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »

No one is ever justified in demanding another concert-goer to stay seated. It's a Rock concert not an opera. I'm sure the band would appreciate it if people would stand for the majority of the show as well. It's one thing to sit the whole time if you have some kind of back issue or whatever--but to demand that other people sit down just because you can't or won't stand up is beyond rude.

Anyway, just my thought. And I gotta reiterate that the people sitting the whole time really, really drained a lot of energy out of the show. Seriously, if you're not standing for Sloop John B then you need your head examined.

I forget after which song...could have been "California Girls" everyone stood.  Then they all began to lower themselves to their seats....I said loudly, "Let's all sit down again..." to which the guy next to me nodded and shrugged his shoulders like "Yeah I know.."   Undecided
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »

I'm going to stand up whenever I feel like it.  I have a feeling the more the crowd is into it, the more brian is too.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx