gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680789 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 04:03:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Group Interview On PBS - Charlie Rose Show Tonight  (Read 59308 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 12:59:42 AM »

Everyone laughed at Dennis' quote that "SMiLE is so good it makes Pet Sounds stink"...but Al stopped everyone and stood up for SMiLE saying, "Guys....listen to "Surf's Up."  And went on to say that there is some truth in Dennis' statement. 

A thousand points to Al! 
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »

Charlie Rose says "so SMiLE was to be your masterpiece?" VERY awkward silence. Brian finally says "Well, it was a labor of love. It's not my favorite album. I like "Lucky Old Sun, Summer Days..." then interrupted. Rose later quotes Dennis' saying that SMiLE is "so good, it makes Pet Sounds stink", to general derision. Mike: "Dennis would say anything" Someone cites his affinity for "shock value". To his everlasting credit, Al jumps in: "Now listen guys, you listen to "Surf's Up" and it's a masterpiece of lyric, production etc. (something of the sort), he (Dennis) WASN"T WRONG". Mike: "But to put down Pet Sounds isn't cool". Short shrift and almost no reflection or attention given to it overall, despite Rose's two valiant efforts to broach the topic. Mike wasn't very supportive of PS in its day, not to mention SMiLE. He's gotten on board with the former, but still won't acknowledge the latter, either because he still doesn't see the merit (doubtful) or because he can't swallow his pride and praise it belatedly, for fear he'll look bad. Great to see them so comfortable, even though the interview is shallow and unrevealing, and so amazing to see that GV session footage with Brian in full flight. Mike really rubs me the wrong way though, no matter how much gloss is applied to his image for purposes of rehabilitation. Unctuous and sanctimonious, I'd love (no pun intended) to see him put on the spot and have to face more of a hardball interview than Rose is capable of.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 01:21:17 AM »

Mike wasn't very supportive of PS in its day, not to mention SMiLE. He's gotten on board with the former, but still won't acknowledge the latter, either because he still doesn't see the merit (doubtful) or because he can't swallow his pride and praise it belatedly, for fear he'll look bad.

Check out the official videos posted about The Smile Sessions last year, they're on YouTube. Mike talks a lot about Smile, and his story was basically that he was genuinely unsure what their fanbase would think of Van Dyke Parks' lyrics. He uses some analogy about a fan in a particular state, wondering what they would think of these lyrics, and for the first time I kind of felt a, "Hm, that's actually a fair point," toward Mike's attitude back in those days. Not saying I agree with him by any means, but still, fair point. And again, let's not forget that despite his concern, he still sang the lyrics because he trusted Brian. In the videos, he goes on to praise the music and the project as a whole in various spots. He's spoken about it plenty recently.

Honestly, as interesting as this stuff is, the guys are in their 70s and are seemingly genuinely getting along really well. Now is not the time to dig up the uglier parts of their past with "hardball" questions.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jaspy
Smiley Smile Associate

That's not me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:20 AM »

Can't wait to see this interview.

And there will never be another album like Pet Sounds.
There's a reason why Pet Sounds is Pet Sounds.
If it would be that simple to create another Pet Sounds,
Pet Sounds wouldn't be Pet Sounds.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2012, 04:49:18 AM »

Never seen that 2005 interview with Charlie Rose, thanks!!

Sheesh, Brian's rambling on about the rock & roll album (to be released in 2006) and assures Charlie Rose "It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen."... okay, where is it?  Sad Hope he's going to record it with the BBs next year, and if not, on his own. I wanna hear the damn thing. Might be awesome. Might be like 12 tracks à la "Message Man."  Shocked
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:59:42 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »

Charlie Rose says "so SMiLE was to be your masterpiece?" VERY awkward silence. Brian finally says "Well, it was a labor of love. It's not my favorite album. I like "Lucky Old Sun, Summer Days..." then interrupted. Rose later quotes Dennis' saying that SMiLE is "so good, it makes Pet Sounds stink", to general derision. Mike: "Dennis would say anything" Someone cites his affinity for "shock value". To his everlasting credit, Al jumps in: "Now listen guys, you listen to "Surf's Up" and it's a masterpiece of lyric, production etc. (something of the sort), he (Dennis) WASN"T WRONG". Mike: "But to put down Pet Sounds isn't cool". Short shrift and almost no reflection or attention given to it overall, despite Rose's two valiant efforts to broach the topic. Mike wasn't very supportive of PS in its day, not to mention SMiLE. He's gotten on board with the former, but still won't acknowledge the latter, either because he still doesn't see the merit (doubtful) or because he can't swallow his pride and praise it belatedly, for fear he'll look bad. Great to see them so comfortable, even though the interview is shallow and unrevealing, and so amazing to see that GV session footage with Brian in full flight. Mike really rubs me the wrong way though, no matter how much gloss is applied to his image for purposes of rehabilitation. Unctuous and sanctimonious, I'd love (no pun intended) to see him put on the spot and have to face more of a hardball interview than Rose is capable of.

Dennis Wilson was right and i totally understand what he means.

But why doesn't Mike Love mentions Summer In Paradise? wasn't this supposed to be his ultimate masterplan and masterpiece of what the Beach Boys should be/sound like ? Summer Of Love man, now that's music, forget Dennis and SMiLE man.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »

Last night's interview ain't online yet, right?
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 05:03:52 AM »

Still not on the website at least :/
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 05:26:33 AM »

To each their own phobias. There's no gloss applied here; they're too old for that. They're real people.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:34 AM »

Hadn't heard about this interview ! Why didn't say they announce it in a way they did with QVC etc. ?

Anyway, we'll know when the interview is up when the link on this site is activated:

http://www.charlierose.com/schedule/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:35 AM »

As much as everyone here is thrilled that the guys seem to be getting along, I think we have to acknowledge that old contentions don't just disappear. I'm sure SMiLE is a sore spot. First of all, I don't think Dennis meant to put down Pet Sounds, and it's awfully simplistic of Mike to jump to that conclusion. Dennis was using Pet Sounds in the comparison to emphasize how good Smile was, a la "That new movie is so good it makes Citizen Kane stink." Citizen Kane is one of the best movies ever made, but the new movie is EVEN BETTER.

It's true that Mike said he was concerned about how the fans would react to the lyrics, but that was 45 years ago. The album was released and the fans love it. I've always thought Mike should have been a big boy about it and acknowledge that his beloved cousin Brian overcame a heck of a lot to release the 2004 version of Smile. But no, he still seems incensed about the whole thing. I did read Mike's essay with the Smile box set, and it seemed too little too late to me. My view of Mike has changed over the years. I used to really dislike him, but I've softened over time. Still, there are parts of his personality that annoy me greatly. Kudos to Al for speaking up about Smile. It was a kind comment that didn't do himself any favors but probably meant a lot to Brian.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »

Mike hater: "I've learned to really like, understand and respect Mike. Still think he's a talentless prick, though".

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »

haterzz gonna h4te boiii !!!1!1!1!1!

Roll Eyes
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 07:59:17 AM »

Mike hater: "I've learned to really like, understand and respect Mike. Still think he's a talentless prick, though".

That's all you got out of what I said? Really?   Roll Eyes
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2012, 09:22:57 AM »

Mike wasn't very supportive of PS in its day, not to mention SMiLE. He's gotten on board with the former, but still won't acknowledge the latter, either because he still doesn't see the merit (doubtful) or because he can't swallow his pride and praise it belatedly, for fear he'll look bad.

Check out the official videos posted about The Smile Sessions last year, they're on YouTube. Mike talks a lot about Smile, and his story was basically that he was genuinely unsure what their fanbase would think of Van Dyke Parks' lyrics. He uses some analogy about a fan in a particular state, wondering what they would think of these lyrics, and for the first time I kind of felt a, "Hm, that's actually a fair point," toward Mike's attitude back in those days. Not saying I agree with him by any means, but still, fair point. And again, let's not forget that despite his concern, he still sang the lyrics because he trusted Brian. In the videos, he goes on to praise the music and the project as a whole in various spots. He's spoken about it plenty recently.

Honestly, as interesting as this stuff is, the guys are in their 70s and are seemingly genuinely getting along really well. Now is not the time to dig up the uglier parts of their past with "hardball" questions.
This is the problem - what if McCartney had been scared about how fans would react to the lyrics on Sgt Pepper? This attitude (in general, not just Mike's) is what held the Beach Boys back commercially post-Pet Sounds, which is ironic considering that Mike' concern was commerciality.

The events of 2003-2004 and the release of the box set last year both show that SMiLe was commercially viable, at least in the past decade. Hindsight is always 20-20, but it is somewhat upsetting that Mike and the rest (aside from Al) still apparently dismiss SMiLe in this manner.

This leads into what was written in the new SPIN article about the upcoming album. According to the author, a band member told her that "From there to Back Again" and "Pacific Coast Highway" were part of a seven-minute suite ("My Life Suite") but that The Beach Boys camp resisted the suite, and it was pared down to just those two songs.

Like many others here, I had figured that the track breaks were just shuffled a bit between the first tracklisting with "My Life" and the new one, but apparently the suite was nixed, with these two songs remaining.

It is distressing because Brian should not be fighting the same losing battles that he was fighting in the mid-1960s. This is a guy whose confidence has been shaky since the mid-60s and he needs security - he needs people around him who understand what he is all about. From what I hear of the Charlie Rose interview, 3/5 of the band still doesn't 'get' SMiLe, even though the vast majority of the fanbase does. Perhaps this is why we have had no songs from the Smile Sessions box set on the current tour, unless perhaps you include "Heroes and Villains" (which is being played closer to the the single arrangement) and "Good Vibrations."

Perhaps Van Dyke was onto something with his post about the reunion. I want to believe it is all good times, but I don't like hearing about Brian's magnum opus being dismissed by the rest of the group. Kudos to Al for sticking up for him.

- B00ts
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »

Anyone, including Mike, who thinks Dennis was in any way derisive of Pet Sounds by making that statement about Smile is an idiot. As many people with functioning depth and awareness have pointed out, Dennis loved Pet Sounds, he was constantly touting its greatness, and to him Smile was so unbelievably fantastic it made one of the greatest records ever recorded pale in comparison. Dennis was on the front lines of the Smile cult...and only Al had the guts to point out that Dennis was right. "Surf's Up" is better than anything on Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:38:53 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

This is the problem - what if McCartney had been scared about how fans would react to the lyrics on Sgt Pepper? This attitude (in general, not just Mike's) is what held the Beach Boys back commercially post-Pet Sounds, which is ironic considering that Mike' concern was commerciality.

The events of 2003-2004 and the release of the box set last year both show that SMiLe was commercially viable, at least in the past decade. Hindsight is always 20-20, but it is somewhat upsetting that Mike and the rest (aside from Al) still apparently dismiss SMiLe in this manner.

This leads into what was written in the new SPIN article about the upcoming album. According to the author, a band member told her that "From there to Back Again" and "Pacific Coast Highway" were part of a seven-minute suite ("My Life Suite") but that The Beach Boys camp resisted the suite, and it was pared down to just those two songs.

Interesting story, considering that it was per the Beach Boys (namely Bruce and Mike) that we heard about that suite. This seems normal group dynamics.

Dennis meant what he meant. But he chose his words.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2012, 09:43:26 AM »

Al just one about 1000 points from  me for that comment, "Surfs Up" is also up there with "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" as perhaps Brian's greatest song ever.
It should be mandatory to be played on tour.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:54 AM »

I never thought someone could take Dennis' statement in that way. He clearly was praising Smile and not dismissing Pet Sounds.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »

I never thought someone could take Dennis' statement in that way. He clearly was praising Smile and not dismissing Pet Sounds.

Agreed. I would like to think that during the course of a live interview, Mike just misunderstood the quote.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »

Interesting story, considering that it was per the Beach Boys (namely Bruce and Mike) that we heard about that suite. This seems normal group dynamics.

Dennis meant what he meant. But he chose his words.
The time I heard about the suite was when Brian said "There is a suite and it goes on and on until just like that, there's no more album." Didn't realize Mike and Bruce also mentioned it.

And yes, "Surf's Up" is probably better than any one song on Pet Sounds.

- B00ts
oldsurferdude
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

That's all you got out of what I said? Really?   Roll Eyes
What would you expect from a Myke Luhver? Roll Eyes
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 10:28:42 AM »

Like many others here, I had figured that the track breaks were just shuffled a bit between the first tracklisting with "My Life" and the new one, but apparently the suite was nixed, with these two songs remaining.

It is distressing because Brian should not be fighting the same losing battles that he was fighting in the mid-1960s. This is a guy whose confidence has been shaky since the mid-60s and he needs security - he needs people around him who understand what he is all about. From what I hear of the Charlie Rose interview, 3/5 of the band still doesn't 'get' SMiLe, even though the vast majority of the fanbase does. Perhaps this is why we have had no songs from the Smile Sessions box set on the current tour, unless perhaps you include "Heroes and Villains" (which is being played closer to the the single arrangement) and "Good Vibrations."

Perhaps Van Dyke was onto something with his post about the reunion. I want to believe it is all good times, but I don't like hearing about Brian's magnum opus being dismissed by the rest of the group. Kudos to Al for sticking up for him.

I guess I missed this.  What did Van Dyke say?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »

I guess I missed this.  What did Van Dyke say?

it was for money and not genuine i think. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:32 AM »

Exactly, we all know how beautiful Pet Sounds and so did Dennis, that's why he said that, just to show how much AMAZING SMiLE is, and he was right, it is much deeper.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx