gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:43:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Group Interview On PBS - Charlie Rose Show Tonight  (Read 59317 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:35:48 PM »

If there is another thread for this or if it has been discussed elsewhere, please disregard - I just wanted to comment on how great it was to see all the guys together talking at the round table. That in itself was terrific, and made me very happy, not to mention the interview itself and more of the GV studio film from '66, Western and Columbia...

God Bless the Beach Boys and what they're doing, it just keeps rolling along and making people happy.

Charlie Rose Show on PBS, check it out unless this is old news by now... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:38:02 PM »

i didn't even know they were gonna be on.  well, it should be up on his site in the next couple days.

how was the interview?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:39:14 PM by Runaways » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »

I guess I missed it. Is it being repeated at all? When you said more of the GV studio film, you mean more footage that we haven't already seen?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

I did not either - it was pure luck that my insomnia had me channel surfing and there they were.

*HIGHLY* recommended anyone on the West Coast look for this one on their local PBS schedule...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »

his website has his whole 5/17 show online, i assume the same will be give to the beach boys show.

they're also all on hulu for free
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:42:41 PM by Runaways » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

Exactly, I'd check back on the show's website and he also has a YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/CharlieRose/videos  If the BB's appearance doesn't show up soon we can shower his website with email requests until they do... Smiley

It will be on PBS later tonight in other areas, I'm on the East Coast and it was on around 11:30pm EST. Check your local PBS.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »

http://www.charlierose.com/

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 09:48:01 PM »

The show is on at midnight here, but says no information so am not sure if this will be featuring the Boys or not.

Johnny Carson documentary on right now.

No mas, por favor.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 09:50:11 PM »

The show is on at midnight here, but says no information so am not sure if this will be featuring the Boys or not.

Johnny Carson documentary on right now.

The Beach Boys *and* Carson on PBS the same night...where is my credit card and phone, I'm making a pledge!  Smiley

Watch it, the Boys should be on.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »

I guess I missed it. Is it being repeated at all? When you said more of the GV studio film, you mean more footage that we haven't already seen?

If I said there were a few seconds more, I may be pushing it - just some shots of Brian and the Columbia engineer doing what looked to be a fade-out at the board, on those old-school rotary faders and I noticed the engineer was holding a stopwatch to time the fade or the track itself. I never noticed that - same with a bot more interaction between Hal and Brian at Western and a very tight closeup of Steve Douglas and his horn that I don't recall from the other clips. They did leave out a lot of Carl and the upright bassist, so we still don't have the full piece of film for some reason, just pieces.

Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:10 PM »

Holy crap it's on right now for me! I missed a half hour. So far, Brian seems talkative. Right now he's talking about Rubber Soul, what else is new...lol.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »

Missed it. Why didn't I know about this?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 10:08:03 PM »

how was the interview?

Very warm, very open - Brian seemed to disagree with Al when Al compared the new songs to Pet Sounds, Al told the story of auditioning "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring" and "Surfin'" for his mother in order to get the 300 dollars to rent the instruments, Mike said he remembered Brian singing Danny Boy when he was 6 or so and Mike was on "Grandma Wilson's" lap, Charlie Rose had a goofy error when he asked Mike how did he and Brian meet... Smiley Charlie also didn't seem to know about Brian's Gershwin album, he had to ask about it. Cheesy Brian mentioned Gershwin as his hero or idol, I can't recall, and Bruce told of going to see Gershwin's apartment with Brian on a more recent trip (never heard of that one...)

Bruce told of hearing "Surfin" on the radio after he had been surfing and was excited to hear that his sport had a voice (meaning lyrics and not just the popular instrumentals like Walk Don't Run), Bruce also compared Brian's work on Pet Sound (if I recall) to Sinatra and Riddle on albums like "...Only The Lonely" and marveled several times how much music Brian was making in 1965-66. Dennis' Smile quote was discussed. David was awesome, as he has been on stage, it was just a great interview overall. Mike was great, as he has been. He told of naming Pet Sounds outside Western Studio 3 as the sound of the dogs barking had just been played, and had some really insightful things to say about Brian's music, mentioning Warmth Of The Sun specifically. Charlie mentioned and asked Brian about LSD.

Hopefully everyone will get to see it posted online, I'm just answering a few questions until then. Above all, having them all together and seeming to be not only relaxed and candid but also having fun was terrific. Great television, even though Charlie missed a few obvious ones...

Charlie did say he gets many comments about an earlier interview he did with Brian.

Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »

how was the interview?

Very warm, very open - Brian seemed to disagree with Al when Al compared the new songs to Pet Sounds,

Lmao, that part cracked me up. Brian totally changed the subject when confronted by Charlie Rose to comment on Al's opinion. He said something evasive like, "Al's a great singer, I love writing for him."

A great Brianism is born.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »

Links to interviews Brian did with Charlie Rose in the past:
http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/775
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

Brian looked really good in that november 2005 interview.  sounded great too
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Guitarfool, thanks for posting, I caught it just in time.

Charlie Rose:  "Is this a happy time for everybody..."
Brian (enthusiastically interrupting) "YES!"

I was happy to hear this.  As others have commented, we can't always tell what's going on with Brian by his outward expression and behavior.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »

Links to interviews Brian did with Charlie Rose in the past:
http://www.charlierose.com/guest/view/775

That's great. I love his Johnny Cash impression.

No mas, por favor.
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »

There were also several concert clips from "Front Row Center," presumably the show that will be on PBS in June.  Let the autotune debate begin...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 11:06:01 PM »

Nice job BeachBoys.com for the heads up   Roll Eyes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »

Jesus, I hope this interview with that Facebook dweeb is over very quickly. His voice is grating and he has more money than I do.

No mas, por favor.
Beach Head
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 11:12:21 PM »

Damn! Just learned about this, too late to catch it.

But ...

My local PBS station re-runs "Charlie Rose" the next weekday at 4 in the afternoon! So, on Monday, my DVR will be recording while I'm at work, and the show will be waiting for me when I get home!
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »

God, someone needs to record it and upload it! please! i need to see this
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »

For those in CA, the new Charlie Rose will be aired in 25 minutes, at 12 A.M., PDT, on KOCE.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2012, 12:23:58 AM »

Poor Charlie.  He doesn't even know what Facebook is.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx