gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680806 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:02:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Group Interview On PBS - Charlie Rose Show Tonight  (Read 59313 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

i think the guys were just saying you don't have to put down pet sounds to say smile is great, even though they know dennis thought pet sounds was awesome. 

One thing Mike Love and Dennis Wilson did have in common is a reputed history of hitting women.  Something that will always prevent me from putting Dennis Wilson on the pedestal that some of the male fans have him.

why just male fans?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

One thing Mike Love and Dennis Wilson did have in common is a reputed history of hitting women.  Something that will always prevent me from putting Dennis Wilson on the pedestal that some of the male fans have him.
How about offering Heroin to your adolescent daughter? Does that qualify as something to keep a dad off a pedestal?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »

i think the guys were just saying you don't have to put down pet sounds to say smile is great

Again, though, are they really not familiar with that technique of expression? If they were, they'd understand that there is absolutely no put down in that statement whatsoever.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

The Beach Boys are not unintelligent people. But, they have shown time after time after time, that they sometimes lack the ability to hear the question, process the question, and give an intelligent answer. You would think that after 50 years they would have acquired that skill, but they haven't. This was just another example of blurting out something - a comment, a quip, a joke, a line, a reaction - without thinking. You never know if they mean what they say. Sometimes I don't know if THEY know if they mean what they say! Most Beach Boys' interviews are forgettable, but you can always count on a few statements that make you go "Huh?"

BTW, I have still not seen this interview. My computer won't play the feed. If anyone can download it to a Windows Media Player or Real Player format, and PM it to me, I would greatly appreciate it. EDIT: I got it now!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:29:32 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »

i think the guys were just saying you don't have to put down pet sounds to say smile is great

Again, though, are they really not familiar with that technique of expression? If they were, they'd understand that there is absolutely no put down in that statement whatsoever.

well again, i think just saying that phrase together is enough to be unnecessary to them.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:03 AM »

How about offering Heroin to your adolescent daughter? Does that qualify as something to keep a dad off a pedestal?

Brian was off his rocker.  Neither Dennis or Mike has ever been admitted to a mental institution.  Okay, Mike was, once.  But they both had a history of being abusive towards women at times in their lives.  Mike has also never had two books and counting written on him, or a movie.  Unless you count "American Family," where he's shown not being too nice to one of his wives, if not hitting her onscreen.

I find it curious that no one has ever, yet, written a book about Carl.  Carl was mostly reputed to be pretty nice.  I guess nice guys are boring and no one wants to write books about those types of guys.  I don't see an Al Jardine bio in the future, either.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »

I'd read a book on Carl or Al.  I think a Carl bio is long overdue. And as far as I know, Bruce has never hit his wife, either.
MBE
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2012, 12:39:48 AM »

One thing Mike Love and Dennis Wilson did have in common is a reputed history of hitting women.  Something that will always prevent me from putting Dennis Wilson on the pedestal that some of the male fans have him.

Brian was off his rocker.  Neither Dennis or Mike has ever been admitted to a mental institution.  Okay, Mike was, once.  But they both had a history of being abusive towards women at times in their lives.  Mike has also never had two books and counting written on him, or a movie.  Unless you count "American Family," where he's shown not being too nice to one of his wives, if not hitting her onscreen.

I find it curious that no one has ever, yet, written a book about Carl.  Carl was mostly reputed to be pretty nice.  I guess nice guys are boring and no one wants to write books about those types of guys.  I don't see an Al Jardine bio in the future, either.
I like Phil Spector's records and Ike Turner's. Trust the art not the artist. Plus who are we to judge what happened or didn't. Dennis and Mike were never asked to refute the claims and we weren't there. It's not our business anyhow. I don't think people should be violent, but it's a fact of life. Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Jerry Lee Lewis, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Keith Moon, James Brown, Jermaine Jackson, Steve Marriott, have all been accused of this. John and Ringo even talked regretfully of it in public. If I applied my personal morals to every person I enjoyed creatively I wouldn't have too many records or films.
MBE
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:27 AM »

One last thing is that Carl, Dennis, and Mike also came from abusive homes. All of them were effected mentally by this. Carl and Dennis both went through periods where their music and performances were hurt by drugs. Mike's breakdown was somewhat public as well. Brian is an extreme case, but why let him off if you don't let them off. Besides none of them were bastions when it came to fidelity back in the sixties.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:50:11 AM by Mike Eder » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx