gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681570 Posts in 27643 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 05:38:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The live autotune seems to have gone  (Read 4311 times)
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »

Videos from Monday's show seem to show the autotune has (completely) gone from Brian's voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woh6IjtBqzc&feature=plcp.

I'm extremely pleased about this, as Brian sounds great, and the whole thing is so much more natural. I could 'look past' the autotune - but would much rather not have to! No autotune on QVC either, so looking good.

So, it makes me wonder, is that a response to the fan community or just good judgement by the sound engineers? If the former, I really hope we can get them to do some last minute toning down of autotune on the album - although by now it's probably finalised and pressed I guess.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:37 AM »

Also not here, from Mohegan CT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNyp8wFR1Y&feature=relmfu

Well, this is amazing!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

So glad to hear this, hopefully this trend continues.  I'd much rather hear imperfect but genuine vocals...
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:46 AM »

wow.. it sounds really good and natural. PLEASE KEEP IT THIS WAY! that heroes and villains sounds great as well!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:21:37 AM by Craig Feldspar » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »

And who woulda thunk - Brian doesn't sound bad at all, just as I had guessed. Glad to hear this. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:05:14 AM »

So it's been confirmed: Stamos does read this board.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:02 AM »

a result!!!!

miles better listening experience going off the youtube clips posted here.
hurrah!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 10:47:27 AM »

Dear autotune-deniers,

If the people who said there was autotune were just making it up, how is it now agreed that it's gone?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »

Maybe it was just there for shows that were taped for the eventual DVD. Which means it could come back, later on the tour. Or maybe it didn't have to do anything at all with the taping. Who knows.

And yes, Brian sounded great in Mohegan. Brian and Mike onstage together in 2012, singing H&V.... who would've imagined...
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »

Maybe it was just there for shows that were taped for the eventual DVD. Which means it could come back, later on the tour. Or maybe it didn't have to do anything at all with the taping. Who knows.

And yes, Brian sounded great in Mohegan. Brian and Mike onstage together in 2012, singing H&V.... who would've imagined...
It wouldn't make much sense though in this scenario, because pitch correction can easily be applied in post-production. That's what it's designed for, after all, and that's why live pitch correction doesn't work very well.

- B00ts
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »

It wouldn't make much sense though in this scenario, because pitch correction can easily be applied in post-production. That's what it's designed for, after all, and that's why live pitch correction doesn't work very well.
I know, but I thought it might be some kind of new software/technology that is applied live which makes it easier in post-production to tinker with the vocals. Something that would turn out better sounding than pitch correction that is only done in post-production (see Mike's vocals @ Knebworth '80).
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »

Plus if need be Brian could always come back and dub new vocals over anything that needed improving.  I think Fogerty does that a lot on all of his live DVD releases...
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »

Yeah, considering they can just push a button if Brian needs it, I'm not seeing why they need to have it on.
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 11:33:32 AM »

I know, but I thought it might be some kind of new software/technology that is applied live which makes it easier in post-production to tinker with the vocals. Something that would turn out better sounding than pitch correction that is only done in post-production (see Mike's vocals @ Knebworth '80).

That doesn't really make any sense.  You can do whatever you want with a raw, uneffected vocal track after the fact; you have the full range of processing options available.  But if your captured vocal is already imprinted with effects, you are limited in your choices. Besides which even if there was some reason to apply live effects primarily for recording purposes, it wouldn't follow that they must then also be sent out to the live audience in the venue.  An effect that you can manually calibrate after the fact, and throw as much processing time and power as needed, there's no way it won't be superior to an automated effect having to sweat to do everything in real time.

The only, incredibly obscure reason I could think for doing this for a recording is if they intended to blend close-up or direct feeds with ambient, open-mic'd venue sound and had to make sure the audio matched.  But that's just crazy talk.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »

Superb.  Kudos are in order if folks on the inside are reading and reacting to this board.  Given the band's history and fractious personalities, I've been really impressed with how they've pulled this whole thing off.  The set list is a fan's wet dream.
Paulos
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »

Videos from Monday's show seem to show the autotune has (completely) gone from Brian's voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Woh6IjtBqzc&feature=plcp.

I'm extremely pleased about this, as Brian sounds great, and the whole thing is so much more natural. I could 'look past' the autotune - but would much rather not have to! No autotune on QVC either, so looking good.

So, it makes me wonder, is that a response to the fan community or just good judgement by the sound engineers? If the former, I really hope we can get them to do some last minute toning down of autotune on the album - although by now it's probably finalised and pressed I guess.

If you listen closely from 02:06 - 02:19 in the above video you can clearly hear Brian is autotuned.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »

I think the autotune must've been a security blanket - if Brian starts talk singing, that'll cover it up a bit. But with Brian seemingly giving it his best, then let it be naked.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »

If you listen closely from 02:06 - 02:19 in the above video you can clearly hear Brian is autotuned.

Grin Grin Grin
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »

I must say I'm slightly pissed that the show in my town had to be so early in the tour. I pretty much got robo-Brian in full force. I would've much rather heard Brian's natural voice. At least I know there won't be any articles badgering their auto-tune use since it was taken off before the end of the first half of the tour, good for Brian!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 01:50:40 PM »

Brian seemed not as into it at the beginning of the tour. Stebbins said Brian did have an off-day at the Jazz Fest. So maybe autotune was used because Brian was in a bad mood. When that changed so did the use of auotune. At least that's my impression reading the board and seeing youtube clips

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious just from watching Fallon to last night that the guys have improved a lot over the course of this tour. Makes sense that they could start ditching the autotune more and more.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

Dear autotune-deniers,

If the people who said there was autotune were just making it up, how is it now agreed that it's gone?

I'm a denier. I heard the wobbling and funny note-shifting on the videos, of course. But did not hear any of that live. Nor has any other concert goer, apparently. No one who attended has reported to have heard, in the venue, the shameful effect of Brian's voice in the beggining of DYWD in Florida, for instance. And every strong supporter of the AT theory, after attending a concert, said the effect was gone or subdued. I guess we'll have to believe Stebbins and AGD's sources then.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »

Dear autotune-deniers,

I'm a denier. I heard the wobbling and funny note-shifting on the videos, of course. But did not hear any of that live. Nor has any other concert goer, apparently. No one who attended has reported to have heard, in the venue, the shameful effect of Brian's voice in the beggining of DYWD in Florida, for instance. And every strong supporter of the AT theory, after attending a concert, said the effect was gone or subdued. I guess we'll have to believe Stebbins and AGD's sources then.

Certainly not that person who posted upthread?  Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Waspinators
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep it Clean with Al Jardine

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

Dear autotune-deniers,

If you are talking about the Hollywood show, it was extremely obvious (at least where I was sitting, 23rd row on right side of the floor). DYWD was probably the worst one, along with H&O and You're So Good to Me. It was slightly heartbreaking on the really jumpy moments, but it seemed to be something that no one noticed if they weren't listening for it. That said, I was just happy to see Brian up there with the guys no matter how he sounded, but I am a little irritated at whoever had the idea to saturate his voice with it so badly on those first 10 or 11 shows. I'm glad it's off now (if slightly jealous!) and happy that Brian's more confident on the recent reunion shows. He sounded wonderful on the QVC performance last night, and not a hint of autotune to be heard.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx