gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:07:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Long  (Read 2597 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »

Hey guys, I'm really far into my new album, and one song I really love is called "So Long" very upbeat but kind of melancholy with the lyrics.
Problem is, I can't really get the mix to sound "just right" and that's where I need help!

http://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/so-long-acetate-mix

I'm going for a "Cantina H&V Mix" Sound with the vocal, rough, strong, but clean sounding.

Please take a listen and let me know what I should to to get the perfect mix! Thanks in advance!

Also: HEADPHONES PLEASE!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 01:16:31 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

The song is cool, but if you're looking for an honest opinion of the sound....it's muddy, the vocals are too upfront, and the drums/percussion need to be mixed way up. I'm all for mono, but I think it would sound better if you went for a wide stereo mix. IMO.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:29:07 PM »

Agreed, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :D

I'll get on it!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »

Just listened to the upload, it seems to have been compressed :/ expect better! Haha

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

Just went back and made a cleaner stereo mix, and man were you right! Louder drums helped a ton, and putting the vocal down the center helps it slide right through!

Also, I made the "Long Agoooooo" backing vox stereo... GREAT IDEA.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 12:42:47 AM »

Hey guys, I'm really far into my new album, and one song I really love is called "So Long" very upbeat but kind of melancholy with the lyrics.
Problem is, I can't really get the mix to sound "just right" and that's where I need help!

http://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/so-long-acetate-mix

I'm going for a "Cantina H&V Mix" Sound with the vocal, rough, strong, but clean sounding.

Please take a listen and let me know what I should to to get the perfect mix! Thanks in advance!

Also: HEADPHONES PLEASE!
Awesome song!  Grin The Beach Boys should record it.  Smiley I have a few constructive criticisms(is that a word? lol) for you. I don't imean to offend, so please don't take it that way. the mix is muddy. The vocals are upfront, but everything else is way in the background. There are some interesting things going on in the background, but it needs brought up in the mix. Especially the drums. I noticed one or two slight mistakes on the drums. Some random "off kilter" beats. The thing this song needs most is a bridge or middle eight. I kept thinking that the melody near the end of the song(the last 20 or so seconds) could have gone to an interesting place. But it just kind of...dies out. I guess it's a case of a good song ending too soon. I really did love the song though, despite just listing a ton of problems I have with it. lol If you have other material like this, I'd love to hear it.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:42 AM »

Thanks a ton man! Lots of great feedback, my new mix is in progress that highlights the things you're pointing out, it's still muddyish, but in a "Wouldn't it be nice" kind of way.

Also, the songs are a suite, so that's actually the fade into the next song Wink

More's on the way!

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »

Alright I'm uploading the new mix for your review tomorrow!
And I may upload another track...

Would you guys rather have a song with BB inspired harmonica bass or the next song in the suite after this one to hear the transition?

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »

Bass Harmonica.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »

Both?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 03:01:45 PM »

Ok guys! New Mix! http://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/so-long-stereo-mix

Once I hear some feedback, I'll release another track! :D

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »

The mix is better. A lot more spacious. Your panning of the backing vocals is spot on.

I only say the following because I know you are looking to make the best mix you can for your album, and since you are one of the few people who can take constructive critism:

It might just be me , so I hope you get a second opinion on this, but certain elements of your mix still sound muddy. My best judgement is that it's the drums and lead vocal. I would say boost the treble (mid range if you can), play around with it and see if you can get a punchier sound that way. Like I said, that might just be me and I don't want to throw you off.

One more thing is that the vocal and backing track sound "removed" from each other. I'm not exactly sure how to fix that (maybe the vocal is still too loud/backing track is still too low?), but that's an impression I get.

Anyway, the more I listen to this tune, the more I dig it.
Rock on!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

Just letting you know, I listened to the mix you sent - I just have been fucking hectic this week, so haven't been able to give it my full attention and natch, no proper feedback - these people have brought up some of what I was thinking, namely the claustrophobic mixing. Don't be afraid to sling things way out in the left/right. It sounds rather good on the tube, mind!  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:38 PM »

Thanks! Glad you dig it :D

I just went back in and added a nice amount of treble to the whole thing, sounds great!

I look at the Bvox and Vox volumes like "Depth" in the recording, and I just fine tuned them to my liking, I'll upload that ASAP!

Also as promised, another song, It has some "POB" style Harmonica (I really dig "Dreamer"!)
and some creamy-dreamy instrumentals! A song about laying in a hammock down at my buddies campsite!
Limited time, as i'm selling the album and can't leave it forever :D haha

http://soundcloud.com/mikeleroymusic/moonlit-lake

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

Just letting you know, I listened to the mix you sent - I just have been f*cking hectic this week, so haven't been able to give it my full attention and natch, no proper feedback - these people have brought up some of what I was thinking, namely the claustrophobic mixing. Don't be afraid to sling things way out in the left/right. It sounds rather good on the tube, mind!  Grin

Cool, I was wondering :D

And I agree somewhat, some things like harmonies just mix better in a slightly mono fashion, but as I've proven, I'm committed to mixing these 100% perfect haha 

So, anything you like/don't like, I WANNA KNOW haha!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx