gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:49:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 9: Beacon Theatre - New York, NY - 5/8/12 (SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 114324 times)
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »

What is the Beacon's capacity?

Just under 3,000, IIRC.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »

Okay, now I have to mention this too. Someone is smoking some grass up in here. I'm hoping they have a prescription or else they're in trouble. lol

Cool Guy Yeah man! Oh, and I guess the Stamos introduction and him playing on a few songs ain't that bad at all, much more tasteful than the entire concert at least.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »

Totally. I agree with that one statement. Coswell is nuts. He's bringing this great edge to each song he's on. Plus he gets so into it. Helps the dynamic of the group
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »

So does Stamos actually replace Cowsill or does he just hit the bongos or something?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 06:34:56 PM »

So does Stamos actually replace Cowsill or does he just hit the bongos or something?

Maybe he does this?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »

Okay, now I have to mention this too. Someone is smoking some grass up in here. I'm hoping they have a prescription or else they're in trouble. lol

That takes some balls  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »

So the video didn't work on Forever and Stamos came out and finished it. I videoed I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. Great addition to the show and very necessary. Rest of the show was great. Nothing out of the ordinary other than Forever.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 08:01:14 PM »

Cellphone video is going to appear of Stamos hiding behind an amplifier, unplugging the projector. Cunning little bastard, he is.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:02:07 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »

No offense John, glad you got to be a part of it but PLEASE stay in NYC  and DO NOT make the trip to Mohegan Sun this weekend...PLEASE.  Him finishing Forever is like a bad dream. Um David Marks anyone...?
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 08:13:05 PM »

Overall, there are many songs they didn't play that I'd love to hear, but one they usually do that I found myself missing was Darlin'. This time was a solo venture but I hope to catch another show soon. Maybe one of the outdoor venues. So darn good tonight.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 08:15:37 PM »

Cellphone video is going to appear of Stamos hiding behind an amplifier, unplugging the projector. Cunning little bastard, he is.

LOL LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »

No offense John, glad you got to be a part of it but PLEASE stay in NYC  and DO NOT make the trip to Mohegan Sun this weekend...PLEASE.  Him finishing Forever is like a bad dream. Um David Marks anyone...?

I understand where you're coming from, but in the moment it was a good save. Yes, I am sure David would have loved to sing that one too; his mic wasn't loud enough to be heard at that time. Stamos walked over to Mike's mic after a few lines because that was cranked louder. He did a good job and salvaged that song.

Great show! I do hope they perform together again after this tour, even if it's a couple of shows once in a while! It really is beautiful to hear those guys harmonies along with a fantastic group of musicians backing them.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »

I understand where you're coming from, but in the moment it was a good save. Yes, I am sure David would have loved to sing that one too; his mic wasn't loud enough to be heard at that time. Stamos walked over to Mike's mic after a few lines because that was cranked louder. He did a good job and salvaged that song.

Great show! I do hope they perform together again after this tour, even if it's a couple of shows once in a while! It really is beautiful to hear those guys harmonies along with a fantastic group of musicians backing them.

Couldn't David Marks have gone over to Mike's mike?  What, is he glued to the spot?  I bet the Uncle Jesse moment was planned. 
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

I don't think it was planned, as much as people want to make a villain out of him. You could see almost everyone one stage looking around like "what's going on?" It would have been nice to have David do it, but I think they were all freaking out and the only one who did anything was Stamos, so he saved the show. I mean, there's video of Brian singing it as well, so he could have done it too. I think they should work on contingencies as to who will cover if the video goes again.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

I don't think it was planned, as much as people want to make a villain out of him. You could see almost everyone one stage looking around like "what's going on?" It would have been nice to have David do it, but I think they were all freaking out and the only one who did anything was Stamos, so he saved the show. I mean, there's video of Brian singing it as well, so he could have done it too. I think they should work on contingencies as to who will cover if the video goes again.

How about they stop, fix it and give Dennis his due.

Failing that, take your pick - David or Brian.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »

How about they stop, fix it and give Dennis his due.

Failing that, take your pick - David or Brian.

AGREED. But the thing is, a lot of people that were there were absofuckinglutely thrilled to see John Stamos perform that song live in person and "save the day". I'm sure the Stamos loving nuts at the shows outnumber the hardkore "let a real Beach Boy sing it if the Dennis tribute malfunctions."

I think the best tribute to Dennis and Carl would be to let their last surviving brother handle the lead vocals on their "signature songs" but if Brian's not up for that, then yeah, audio/video tribute is the next best thing.

No mas, por favor.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

Don't see what the big deal is.  Stamos jumped in when they needed a hand.  Glad he did.  Prevented it from being a real awkward moment.  Have mercy!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 09:25:44 PM »

Don't forget that John is also a star of the stage in NYC, having been in "Nine" and "Cabaret."  I'm sure they enjoyed him.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »

Lol ew.  Cool Guy

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

I let out a really angry "Boo!" when Stamos came on during Forever. I really don't like his drumming. I don't think John Cowsill likes it either. Stamos was really bashing the kit obnoxiously at the end of a song and Cowsill, who was sitting next to him playing tambourine, started yelling at him. The next song Stamos played a lot more conservatively and Cowsill gave him a thumbs-up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:49:22 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »

I would have had no problem at all if they just stopped the song and started it again. It may not look the best, but oh well. That's life and technology. But also having Brian sing those songs would be a great tribute. We know he sings both of them, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I will give it to Stamos though, on that song. He didn't come right to the center mic at first. He just hopped on Jeffery's mic at the side, and then eventually got center, but I didn't see if he was motioned to go there or not. I did find it funny when he did his solo drum thing at the start of Be True to Your School, you could see Brian look over to him with a real "what is he doing?" look on his face.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 10:07:29 PM »

Stamos needs to go.

He should never be allowed onstage for another Beach Boys show.

This is an embarrassing travesty, and an insult to the band, Denny, and the fans. Full stop.

If he were a fan he would fucking stay off the stage.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:03 PM »

Stamos needs to go.

He should never be allowed onstage for another Beach Boys show.

This is an embarrassing travesty, and an insult to the band, Denny, and the fans. Full stop.

If he were a fan he would f*cking stay off the stage.

Oh get over it already.  Stamos has a history with the band.  He's a friend of the band as well as a huge fan.  Since he has some musical ability, I don't see the problem with him appearing on stage with them occasionally. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Craig Feldspar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »

yeah I feel like the Beach Boys don't really owe Stamos anything anymore for the publicity they got from full house. its been like what, 20 years? this could be (and probably is) their last tour. He should respect that and let them close it down themselves without taking the spotlight.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx