gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680856 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 06:36:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Beach Boys on Fallon Tonight - May 7th, 2012  (Read 71436 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 08, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »

Brian's pitch is all over the place on TWGMTR. And I love every second of it.  Grin

Whoever did the sound ought to be hired full time; they understand the BB better than the road sound guys for the tour, obviously.

I don't know...I recorded the audio from my TV speakers onto my cell phone from 30 feet away, and when I listen to that cellphone recording it's obvious that Brian's voice is auto-tuned.  LOL

Man, get outta here with that!  LOL
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 08, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »

I am on my 15th or so listen to TWG, and it sounds better and better each time; I think they recover from the wanderings when they sense they are losing the thread. Al does some repair work in steering it back. This song is a formal choral piece in places and needs a large choir and a conductor. I wonder if casual listeners will "like the song"? On this board we isolate every note nervously.

I have to stop wondering and let the song and performance takes its course, but I suppose I just want it to be a hit. .

by the way, do you all hear Dave's part now on the response in the chorus?  his flat "a" vowel may be more Pennsylvania than Hawthorn (think Dennis Miller's voice and accent), but I think we know what vocal line he is singing.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 08, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

Brian's pitch is all over the place on TWGMTR. And I love every second of it.  Grin

Whoever did the sound ought to be hired full time; they understand the BB better than the road sound guys for the tour, obviously.

I don't know...I recorded the audio from my TV speakers onto my cell phone from 30 feet away, and when I listen to that cellphone recording it's obvious that Brian's voice is auto-tuned.  LOL

Man, get outta here with that!  LOL

I know.  I just couldn't resist.  They sure did sound good on the show, didn't they?  It sounded like a band singing live, warts and all...but with feeling.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2012, 11:30:49 AM »

I just got through WIBN and although it's nice, it lacks any swing. They should have the drummer or percussionist play the shuffle (hi-hat or tambourine for example). Never occured missing to me on any other live version no matter which incarnation

This observation points out how unique of an arranger Brian Wilson could be in his 20's...listen to the Pet Sounds sessions for WIBN, and many of his sessions with the Wrecking Crew in general, and there is little or no hi-hat work, ride cymbal, constant 8th note (swing or straight 8ths) tambourine, not much at all of those sounds on those tracks. The swing on WIBN came from the accordions and the rhythm guitar just killing the swing 8th feel...Hal's tom fills and the kettle drums glue it all together at the end of the phrases, along with the tambourine accents, but the way the drive of the rhythm section comes from accordions...of all things...is just brilliant.

As much as I appreciate good drumming, and good hi-hat playing from those drummers, I love the way Brian used the studio band as a whole so that any one of, say, three or four instruments could be a crucial part of the rhythmic drive and the drummer's hi-hats and cymbal work was *not* essential to it.

Genius arrangements.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2012, 11:35:20 AM »

I know.  I just couldn't resist.  They sure did sound good on the show, didn't they?  It sounded like a band singing live, warts and all...but with feeling.

You know there would've been a sh*t storm in here if they used the AT!

But yeah, this appearance couldn't have gone better imo. Everything from the interview to the performances, even the way they dressed, Brian's new haircut - GREATNESS!

So proud of those dudes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »

who is off on TWGMTR? some rough patches in the high parts; who hears what and how do they fit it?

All in all this was the single greatest comprehensive appearance of any band on a TV show that I can remember; the BB, some lapses in the incredibly complex TWG notwithstanding, sounded better than the B singing GV on Ed Sullivan 45 years ago.

IMR may be one of the top 5 best BB performances ever recorded.  Whoever did the sound ought to be hired full time; they understand the BB better than the road sound guys for the tour, obviously. I love how Bruce sings Carl's part and Dave and Al come in for Dennis's in the famous "3-brothers' opening to the song."

The interview was the best I have seen; Fallon was a prince, a fan, an gentleman; his reverence and energy--and the fact that he gave almost the whole darn show to the BB--have made me respect and appreciate him. He was the ideal host to MC this historical event.  No credits nor commercials cut off the BB on WIBN. . . .

History records now the image of one old man offering his hand in trust and poignant frailty to his cousin for support. This will be one of the most iconic images in music cultural history. Paul and Ringo will do the same one day. . .

What next?  Will this get us on the charts?

Wow. I remain in awe.

Well said, I share many of the same feelings about it. I'm so impressed with the entire thing, from the songs to the interview to the sound to the whole vibe of it - it was a terrific appearance.

What may be worth noting is that the Fallon show did in fact set the bar *very, very high* for future appearances. Lest we forget not all talk shows are handled this way, and too many lapse into tired formulas of exactly how much time a band gets and what they are "allowed" to do.

Maybe by setting the bar so high, and showing this band that level of respect, the other shows will take a cue and not treat them like any other band, and obviously that sounds elitist but it's the stone cold truth.

Not to say a negative here, but the difference between that band who was the last thing on Leno's show last night transitioning into the Beach Boys singing "In My Room" was jarring, shocking, revelatory, etc...all the adjectives.

It was like seeing the Sistine Chapel in a black and white art history textbook versus going to the actual chapel to see it firsthand. The Beach Boys, men in their 70's, just *killed* with a song that is almost 50 years old. And with all due respect to that last band on Leno as he was signing off, they were so far out of their fucking league in comparison, they could have been playing in the bassist's mom's basement or something compared to the power of that first verse sung by the original Beach Boys...still not over the power of that first minute or so. Owned it!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

I just got through WIBN and although it's nice, it lacks any swing. They should have the drummer or percussionist play the shuffle (hi-hat or tambourine for example). Never occured missing to me on any other live version no matter which incarnation

This observation points out how unique of an arranger Brian Wilson could be in his 20's...listen to the Pet Sounds sessions for WIBN, and many of his sessions with the Wrecking Crew in general, and there is little or no hi-hat work, ride cymbal, constant 8th note (swing or straight 8ths) tambourine, not much at all of those sounds on those tracks. The swing on WIBN came from the accordions and the rhythm guitar just killing the swing 8th feel...Hal's tom fills and the kettle drums glue it all together at the end of the phrases, along with the tambourine accents, but the way the drive of the rhythm section comes from accordions...of all things...is just brilliant.

As much as I appreciate good drumming, and good hi-hat playing from those drummers, I love the way Brian used the studio band as a whole so that any one of, say, three or four instruments could be a crucial part of the rhythmic drive and the drummer's hi-hats and cymbal work was *not* essential to it.

Genius arrangements.

Great post, thank you !
What I was trying to get it is: nothing swings on this live WIBN. They should get that fixed. Or was this just a case of not having enough musicians? Can anybody tell how it is in concert ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
egon spengler
« Reply #257 on: May 08, 2012, 11:49:01 AM »

Brian's back must be really bad.

No doubt about it. The YSBIM outro is nice, but it's got some of Mike's most contrived lyrics (and that's saying something).
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »

who is off on TWGMTR? some rough patches in the high parts; who hears what and how do they fit it?

All in all this was the single greatest comprehensive appearance of any band on a TV show that I can remember; the BB, some lapses in the incredibly complex TWG notwithstanding, sounded better than the B singing GV on Ed Sullivan 45 years ago.

IMR may be one of the top 5 best BB performances ever recorded.  Whoever did the sound ought to be hired full time; they understand the BB better than the road sound guys for the tour, obviously. I love how Bruce sings Carl's part and Dave and Al come in for Dennis's in the famous "3-brothers' opening to the song."

The interview was the best I have seen; Fallon was a prince, a fan, an gentleman; his reverence and energy--and the fact that he gave almost the whole darn show to the BB--have made me respect and appreciate him. He was the ideal host to MC this historical event.  No credits nor commercials cut off the BB on WIBN. . . .

History records now the image of one old man offering his hand in trust and poignant frailty to his cousin for support. This will be one of the most iconic images in music cultural history. Paul and Ringo will do the same one day. . .

What next?  Will this get us on the charts?

Wow. I remain in awe.

I agree it was very good, but lets not get Cray Cray.

I've been waiting to find an opportunity to say that phrase. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 08, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »

I wonder if casual listeners will "like the song"? On this board we isolate every note nervously.

I don't suffer from that sickness, and I'll tell you, it sounded fantastic, anybody with 'casual' ears will think it sounds great, and like nothing on the radio today. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2012, 11:55:31 AM »

And with all due respect to that last band on Leno as he was signing off, they were so far out of their f*cking league in comparison, they could have been playing in the bassist's mom's basement or something compared to the power of that first verse sung by the original Beach Boys...still not over the power of that first minute or so. Owned it!

That's certainly true, but we don't need to denegrate other bands to illustrate how great the Beach Boys are.  There's a thing called "Couth", I.E. knowing something but not necessarily having to say it openly.  Anybody watching t.v. for those 10 minutes last night saw the difference between that band and the boys... and if they didn't, you'll never convince them otherwise.  Just be happy you noticed it. 
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 08, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

"That's what I'm talkin' about."

Aw, this is just gorgeous!  Really hard not to have tears in my eyes after this!

Vocal music is alive and well!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »

This is a direct (quicker) link to part 1 of the interview, which is simply brilliant in very way.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/brian-wilson-and-mike-love-part-1-5-7-12/1400343

NOT TO BE MISSED!

FANTASTIC!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 08, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »

Out of ALL THE FUCKING SONGS he could have got those two to break apart, he picks Barbara Ann.  EPIC FAIL

Just think.  He could have had Brian teach him the harmony to... hell... "Girls on the Beach".  "Surfin".  "Prayer".  He ANYTHING BUT BARBARA ANN. 

LOL

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: May 08, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »

Thanks!

Just re-posting for the benefit of those late to the thread!

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »

When Fallon first mentioned Johnny Carson, I thought he was going to ask about the song.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

Out of ALL THE FUCKING SONGS he could have got those two to break apart, he picks Barbara Ann.  EPIC FAIL

Just think.  He could have had Brian teach him the harmony to... hell... "Girls on the Beach".  "Surfin".  "Prayer".  He ANYTHING BUT BARBARA ANN. 

LOL

Mike seemed to think the same.  Grin
But Brian was on fire. Love the way they built the chord

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 08, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »

LOL

It was a weird song request, but it worked fine and got the desired effect.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: May 08, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

Mike said they heard The Roots doing their music from backstage — what was he talking about?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »

This works so well for Brian, like others have opined it's much, much, much, hell 10 times much easier for him to do appearances with Mike.  He's literally just sitting on a couch next to his cousin.  If he wants to say something, he says something.  If he doesn't, he doesn't.  Notice about halfway through he does his sleep thing.  He closes his eyes for 10 or 15 seconds.  If he was alone, that would look so awkward, but with Mike sitting next to him doing what he does, nobody cares and Brian doesn't have to worry about it.  

A big thing for me is looking for things that are timeless.  That never get old; that never change.  The relationship, musically and professionally between Brian and his cousin is exactly what it was when they started!  Mike is the frontman, he's arrogant and has an ego but it serves him well, and serves the band well... and serves Brian well.  Brian is the erratic genius, and gives the artistic integrity to the band that Mike wouldn't be able to do without him (that's an understatement, right?).  

We've reached a situation in these careers that is very successful, because Mike is free to be Mike (Front and Center, running sh*t), and Brian is free to be Brian (reclusive, flighty)... and it works great.  Splash on top of that a little bit of ambition for Brian because he wants to keep his wife happy, and a little bit of charity from Mike because he wants to keep the peace... and you're left with a band that works very very well together right now.  

This could continue on for years.  
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

LOL

He could have been trying to 1-up Conan lol.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 08, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »

Mike said they heard The Roots doing their music from backstage — what was he talking about?
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. They played it between the commercial break.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:10 PM »

LOL

He could have been trying to 1-up Conan lol.

It was more than likely a bit that they rehearsed before hand and they picked that song because it was short and something that people would know. I hardly think that Fallon just blurted out Barbara Ann off the top of his head.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »

Here are some reviews I found on the web, all with the known videos:

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/watch-the-beach-boys-on-jimmy-fallon-videos/65080/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/05/late-night-jimmy-fallon-harmonizes-with-the-beach-boys.html

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/05/08/watch-fallon-beach-boys-harmonize-in-special-late-night/

And this site has another pic from the rehearsal:
http://cokesnlfan.tumblr.com/post/22590982523/brainofjoacohen-beach-boys-just-started

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:44:36 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2012, 02:10:05 PM »

Full video of their appearance.

http://vimeo.com/41798109
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx