gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:19:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Beach Boys on Fallon Tonight - May 7th, 2012  (Read 70859 times)
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

Here's that article where the guy somehow couldn't recognize that Jardine was singing the lead on WIBN.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/scene-and-heard-blogpost.aspx?post=a4e1f37c-8115-4dd4-8014-b31aeb74356f&_p=baf8cc72-258e-4e47-859b-0de73bc504d8&_nwpt=1#scplatformComments
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:00 PM »

This is what is wrong with every single below par reviewer or journalist having a blog or something similar on the internet. The cluelessness of all of these people who shouldn't be heard from is magnified.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »

With a tour party of 40 and given the ages and schedule it would not surprise me if a Doctor is on the full time pay roll. Somebody said they thought Brian was moving better than the Dodger gig. Having someone on call may be helping.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 08, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »

With a tour party of 40 and given the ages and schedule it would not surprise me if a Doctor is on the full time pay roll. Somebody said they thought Brian was moving better than the Dodger gig. Having someone on call may be helping.

He needs a Teeter hangup. "I'M ALMOST 70 AND... *jumps in the air* I FEEL GREAT!!!"

No mas, por favor.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »

Al was mixed just a tad too low for that particular song, as Jeff was mixed just a tad too high for that particular song. For that one, I can understand the confusion.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »

The first BBs-related special I saw was way back in the '70s, when a daring Dutch TV station showed the Lorne Michaels film (with Aykroyd and Belushi).

I was blown away, being 17 at the time.

Yesterday I was knocked off my socks by the clips from the Fallon show.

It's weird: it is as if nothing happened in between... the Fallon stuff is that good. A monument for a phenomenal band.

Period.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
ivy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 09, 2012, 02:08:40 AM »

I'm sort of concerned by those Chucks.  He's always wearing them and they're bad for your feet. Which means they're also bad for his ailing back! Hopefully he's got some arch supports or Dr. Scholl's jelly inserts or something.

Haha good point! They are super super flat..... has he worn them before this year? I haven't noticed.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

That was me.  I was at the Dodger Stadium performance and was taken aback by how Brian was suffing, only because I had seen him in concert, etc. many times before.  I have also had back surgery, so I know how I recovered from that, and I was only in my early 30's at the time. At the DOdger gig, he was SHUFFLING, not lifting his feet off of the ground. Not strange for one recovering from such surgery.  Although Mike was helping him on Fallon, to my eyes he is moving better. IT is a slow recovery, esp. for a man of his age. I would almost gauarntee that both a doctor and a physical therapist are on tour

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:24 AM »

I'm sort of concerned by those Chucks.  He's always wearing them and they're bad for your feet. Which means they're also bad for his ailing back! Hopefully he's got some arch supports or Dr. Scholl's jelly inserts or something.

Haha good point! They are super super flat..... has he worn them before this year? I haven't noticed.

It started at the grammys this year when he wore the red ones...

They must have a new stylist

He should be wearing Jordans like Al, they would be great for his back

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »

WIBN is played in a lower key, isn' it? What about Cottonfields, did they lower it too?

They lowered it one half step, from F major as heard on the original recording to E major as played last night. if you listen to SOT, even in 1966 I think they slowed the tape for some of those vocal sessions.

I was impressed they only needed to lower it *one half step* after 40 odd years! Some singers and bands...without naming names...transpose much more than that and it really does affect the songs being performed.

Not the BB's!  Smiley

They've done it live in the key of E for decades.

I know that  Smiley . I was just saying if you've heard bands and singers from the 60's and 70's lower more than one half step (maybe they lower a half step for every 5 years of performance?  Grin), it can really change a song's texture in a bad way.

The Beach Boys do it in E, that's awesome.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »

This is what is wrong with every single below par reviewer or journalist having a blog or something similar on the internet. The cluelessness of all of these people who shouldn't be heard from is magnified.

See my comments in the "new album info" thread about advance reviews, this ties in rather well to that.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »

Boy, everythings so wrong in that review. The guy probably hasn't sen a show yet and didn't recognize that there was no other vocals on In My Room than the Boys' and Jeff's

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »

And with all due respect to that last band on Leno as he was signing off, they were so far out of their f*cking league in comparison, they could have been playing in the bassist's mom's basement or something compared to the power of that first verse sung by the original Beach Boys...still not over the power of that first minute or so. Owned it!

That's certainly true, but we don't need to denegrate other bands to illustrate how great the Beach Boys are.  There's a thing called "Couth", I.E. knowing something but not necessarily having to say it openly.  Anybody watching t.v. for those 10 minutes last night saw the difference between that band and the boys... and if they didn't, you'll never convince them otherwise.  Just be happy you noticed it. 

Thanks but no thanks for the lecture, I could say more but I'll just say this. Ron: Don't be one of those posters. Don't cause a conflict where there is no conflict. If I or anyone wants to say something about Snow Patrol, we'll say it openly and I'll say it without needing to be called out or lectured for it. There is no problem here, don't look for one.

I'll also say I think Snow Patrol's song "Chasing Cars" is a brilliant and touching piece of music, in my top 20 songs at least from the past ten years, and one which I have taught a few dozen times and enjoy every time I hear it, teach it, and play it. But that has no bearing on how the band came off the other night as Leno was going off the air or how I felt about it. Maybe the fact that the new Snow Patrol song was so "off" in comparison to not only The Beach Boys but also their previous work which I have enjoyed is what triggered that response, in retrospect.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: May 09, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »

Full video of their appearance.

http://vimeo.com/41798109

Thank you !!

EDIT:

I believe someone asked for such a picture:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:41:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 09, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

Nice to see Brian on a talk show since he rarely does that these days.  He seemed as comfortable as you can be on those things.  When was the last time he was on one before Fallon?
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »

Nice to see Brian on a talk show since he rarely does that these days.  He seemed as comfortable as you can be on those things.  When was the last time he was on one before Fallon?

He's performed on Letterman and Leno several times, but I can't recall him sitting down to chat....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »

I guess Kimmel

Which is my favorite Brian interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjUgXLg8Fw

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

I guess Kimmel

It's amazing how much younger Brian seems in that interview.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

The first BBs-related special I saw was way back in the '70s, when a daring Dutch TV station showed the Lorne Michaels film (with Aykroyd and Belushi).

I was blown away, being 17 at the time.

Yesterday I was knocked off my socks by the clips from the Fallon show.

It's weird: it is as if nothing happened in between... the Fallon stuff is that good. A monument for a phenomenal band.

Period.

Reading your posts is always weird because i can't convince myself it's not Columbo writing them...

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 09, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »

I guess Kimmel

Well, it was seven years ago.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 09, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »

I guess Kimmel

It's a really strange interview that one for me. It's like every Brian era encapsulated into one "Brian". I see hints of 60's Brian, that 76 Mike Douglas interview with Brian, a touch of Landy era Brian and Brian at his best during the last decade. He really is a fascinating creature our Bri, you never know what you're gonna get!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »

I guess Kimmel

It's a really strange interview that one for me. It's like every Brian era encapsulated into one "Brian". I see hints of 60's Brian, that 76 Mike Douglas interview with Brian, a touch of Landy era Brian and Brian at his best during the last decade. He really is a fascinating creature our Bri, you never know what you're gonna get!

He also lip syncs the song ... very strange.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 09, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »

I know people have mentioned it already, but I wish Brian would watch his weight a little more.  He's really getting big again, and that's probably 90% of the problem with his back.  I know if I get 20 pounds or so overweight, I get to the point where I feel sluggish, it's harder to get up in the morning, I have less energy, etc.... you start eating right and you feel 100% better after you drop a few pounds. 

I'm sure his doctors are telling him the same thing though, I'll bet he gets back into fighting shape in the next year or two.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »

I know people have mentioned it already, but I wish Brian would watch his weight a little more.  He's really getting big again, and that's probably 90% of the problem with his back.  I know if I get 20 pounds or so overweight, I get to the point where I feel sluggish, it's harder to get up in the morning, I have less energy, etc.... you start eating right and you feel 100% better after you drop a few pounds. 

I'm sure his doctors are telling him the same thing though, I'll bet he gets back into fighting shape in the next year or two.

I agree that Brian is not at a healthy weight-- not that he needs to be skinny like it's 1988, but he's pretty big now. I assume he's under a doctor's constant care, though, and hopefully he's not surviving on cake and steaks. Mike is giving Brian a run for his money in the weight dept these days.
NatureShowInStereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »

He's getting older, too, though. And he's had a belly for awhile now I Think.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx