gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680854 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 01:45:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Beach Boys on Fallon Tonight - May 7th, 2012  (Read 71433 times)
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »

I tried SO hard to stay up for this last night (says a lot about network tv these days but moreso about me lol) but woke up to a televangelist show at 6am instead.. only to find it was ALL over the net within hours, of course most of the headlines were "Brian Wilson hasn't even seen the new album."  Roll Eyes Needless to say I didn't even click those. THIS link however, (I hope it's ok to post this, it seems to fit within the guidelines) has the entire interview, all 3 performances, and in excellent sound. I hadn't noticed it shared yet and wanted to put it out there:

http://thenjunderground.com/blog/2012/5/8/watch-beach-boys-appear-on-fallon.html

Agree with nearly everything said in this thread and am seriously digging how positive everyone is, THIS is what this 50th is all about..and I still think "Celebration" would have been a great album title, but I'm sure the reasons for not using it have been discussed, my apologies if I missed it, I've had an extremely rough time of it lately.. The only thing making it all worthwhile was seeing the Raleigh, NC 50th show, which was a dream come true and though Mike/Bruce were great last I saw them in `01, nothing could touch the 4-29 show I attended with my daughter, who LOVES the Beach Boys (and not just the hits either, with me for a Daddy lol.) She turns 5 on Aug.8th btw, and asks for deep cuts by name.  Cry <-happy tears.  LOL It's a great time to be a Beach Boys fan.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:17:18 AM by amonomous » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:34 AM »

Thanks Anomononononous (or sumfink') -

we're all virtually partying behind the screen, and no need to apolololologize, I really enjoyed your lovely and heartfelt contribution! Join the festivities...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2012, 05:16:44 AM »

i just now watched the song clips and interview. the handful of meds i take now for the heart attack i had 2 years ago make me drowsy, especially the night doses. i nodded off before the show came on. so i wanted to say thank you to the ones who posted the links to these clips. needless to say, i enjoyed them.

can't wait to see them this friday night.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:08 AM »

And another for the Brianisms....

Brian: Is that our album? Wow! It's the first time I've seen our album!

LOL

That's was gold, we couldn't have dreamt that one up  LOL

Oh, and what struck me: Mike was extremely supportive of Brian, helped him in various ways, and there was not one nanosecond where I thought: he's not entirely genuine here, or it's out of some marketing goal. He meant it 110%.

Extremely touching.

Well said that man!

Mike's comments were really heartfelt and, imo, cut through a lot of the baggage we've been dreading.

Still smilin'

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2012, 05:22:27 AM »

Thanks Anomononononous (or sumfink') -

we're all virtually partying behind the screen, and no need to apolololologize, I really enjoyed your lovely and heartfelt contribution! Join the festivities...

LOL When I couldn't get into my account (it used to be "A_Mono_Mouse") I had to opt for something close but different, so I dropped the underscores and E and opted for "Amonomous" instead. You're welcome  Grin
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:45 AM »

Mike is hilarious, when he listens to the radio he listens out for Beach Boys songs  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 08, 2012, 05:37:32 AM »

Great, great show. Obviously Jimmy Fallon has a ton of respect for the BBs to have them do 3 songs plus an interview. TQGMTR was a little off, but the rest was great, and they were all trying so hard, including Brian. (Jeff was turned down in the mix a bit too.)

The interview was great. Brian and Mike seemed impressed that Jimmy's dad had sung doo-wop and I loved the Barbara Ann harmonizing attempt where Brian automatically went into his leader mode. Mike was very quick to praise Brian in all kinds of ways.

I knew Jimmy's audience was young, but when they showed them I was struck by how many appear to be under 25. They adore Jimmy and will cheer whatever he cheers, but I bet many of them were fans already, or will be after last night.
amonomous
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2012, 05:41:09 AM »

i just now watched the song clips and interview. the handful of meds i take now for the heart attack i had 2 years ago make me drowsy, especially the night doses. i nodded off before the show came on. so i wanted to say thank you to the ones who posted the links to these clips. needless to say, i enjoyed them.

can't wait to see them this friday night.

Same here, medication can really do you in, especially if you're already worn down, so I was heartbroken when I realized I'd missed it after making coffee which I rarely do in the morning, much less at night. I was more than happy to share that link as I wouldn't have even known to watch for it had I not checked the board when I got home and caught the reminder (I love this board.) LOL Good day all and enjoy the links if you missed it like some of us did, I was SO afraid I'd be looking at 30 second clips and discussion of it with no way to see it in full. I'm trying to plan to see them again July 3rd and will be more than happy to share the experience then as well.

P.S. - I'll have to comment on the actual performance later as I have to go, but I wanted to say I've seen the various boards come and go over the years (I rode in on the mid-late 90s wave of Imagination/Brian touring again, PS Box, etc when I first got internet and remember thinking "I can't believe this is really happening" and could have never imagined 15+years later we'd be getting all of *this*) and this is by far the most positive the fan community has been (I especially love the backing off of bashing Mike over the years and someone else pointed out perfectly how obvious it is that he loves Brian and isn't doing this for his ego) even when we had things like Brian finishing SMiLE and other "impossible things becoming possible" before our eyes. It's hard to find people who can discuss the Beach Boys as in depth as I like to and this board is a Godsend.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:52:51 AM by amonomous » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2012, 05:52:53 AM »

Thanks!  I fell asleep! It was great to wake up to!

It was won-won-wonderful!

Al wins for best shirt!   Wink
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2012, 06:01:57 AM »

I'm very sensitive these days for all things Beach Boys, I guess. But I loved everything about this show. Including the performance of TWGMTR with all its imperfection... it is such a difficult song to do live, it gives all of them a tough job -including the backup band- and it's great that they're daring to do it. Jimmy Fallon came as a great guy you must like: really respectful, funny and nice. The interview was great, so relaxed. Having overcome the difficulties for the reunion, I guess for Brian this must feel easy a lot of the time... Just hangin' with his cousin and friends... And we got to catch a glimpse of that in the interview, so candid and lovable. Kudos to all that are making this happen.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »

Just watched the clips.  I clock in to work at 5:45am, so I wasn't able to stay up to watch this live, so I just watched the songs and the interview.  Blown......away.  

In My Room was just perfect.  Really.  I listened through headphones as Guitarfool suggested, and the mix was fantastic.  They all looked so good.  Brian did not have his usual TV appearance blank stare, rather he seemed very focused and interested in giving a good performance, which he did.  Al and Bruce with their hands on there chests at various moments, both looking cool.  And Mike is the king of cool.

That's Why God Made The Radio was very good.  Brian had a few pitchy moments, but it did not make me appreciate the performance any less.  They were all really into it, and feeling it.  You could tell that they were all excited to be playing their new record live on national TV.  Brian was engaged, and I loved his shoulder shrugging.  It just showed that he was feeling it, and it made me shed a couple of tears of joy for all of them.

Wouldn't It Be Nice was more than nice.  The harmonies were spot on.  Brian, while not doing much on the song, was still very much into it, playing a little keys, and looking like he did want to be there and give a good performance.  Al could have been mixed slightly higher, but it was fine.

The interview was very good.  Fallon and Mike made Brian feel at ease, I think.  Mike was humble, and again, cool.  Brian did have those moments when he closed his eyes, but I don't think it was because he was uncomfortable or because he didn't want to be there.  His back appeared to have been bothering him, and he may have been dealing with pain.  Or he may have been hearing voices.  Who knows.  But he came off much better than he usually does on national TV.  And when the crowd applauded them, and Mike held his hands in a prayer-like manner, Brian just looked at the crowd and you could see how proud he was, and how grateful he was for the applause.  AWESOME.  I think this appearance on a very popular show will sell some CDs/Vinyl/downloads to a few younger folks who might not have considered buying a Beach Boys record before this.  Did I read that they will also be making a Leno appearance?  When is that scheduled?
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2012, 06:03:58 AM »

So glad the clips were posted online; I appreciate the links. I got a little teary-eyed watching them.

I am *so* pumped to see this in person on 5/17!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »

Just watched the clips.  I clock in to work at 5:45am, so I wasn't able to stay up to watch this live, so I just watched the songs and the interview.  Blown......away.  

That's Why God Made The Radio was very good.  Brian had a few pitchy moments, but it did not make me appreciate the performance any less.  They were all really into it, and feeling it.  You could tell that they were all excited to be playing their new record live on national TV.  Brian was engaged, and I loved his shoulder shrugging.  It just showed that he was feeling it, and it made me shed a couple of tears of joy for all of them.

Just a note: TWGMR's weakest spot for me were some bum notes in the harmony stack, not Brian's lead. Brian's not to blame in this case. And there's a lot of doubling, tripling and quadrupling in that song... a nice effect but can sound clumsy at times. Nothing to diminish the enjoyment of this beautiful TV appearance, though.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2012, 07:04:30 AM »

Who was the guy playing the drums?  He's really good.

Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2012, 07:30:32 AM »

Just watched the clips.  I clock in to work at 5:45am, so I wasn't able to stay up to watch this live, so I just watched the songs and the interview.  Blown......away. 

That's Why God Made The Radio was very good.  Brian had a few pitchy moments, but it did not make me appreciate the performance any less.  They were all really into it, and feeling it.  You could tell that they were all excited to be playing their new record live on national TV.  Brian was engaged, and I loved his shoulder shrugging.  It just showed that he was feeling it, and it made me shed a couple of tears of joy for all of them.

Just a note: TWGMR's weakest spot for me were some bum notes in the harmony stack, not Brian's lead. Brian's not to blame in this case. And there's a lot of doubling, tripling and quadrupling in that song... a nice effect but can sound clumsy at times. Nothing to diminish the enjoyment of this beautiful TV appearance, though.

These "imperfect" live versions of TWGMTR we've been getting have actually made me like the song more. I'm in the category of people who are turned off by all the slick, digital-ness of the recording, so I'm enjoying listening to the live versions. Hearing the unprocessed voices try to sing the harmonies make me appreciate how difficult it actually is.

Thanks to all who posted clips. I find Jimmy Fallon to be absolutely unbearable, so I'm glad I didn't have to sit through the whole show. The Boys did great, the interview and the performances were very good. I'm still blown away by how well the promotional side of this reunion has gone, they really seem to be getting it right.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:44:02 AM by Amanda Hart » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2012, 07:34:15 AM »

That would be Cowsill...he is awesome.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »

One of the best Late Night appearances Brian ever did. Good performances (especially "In My Room", great sound, great mix) and a nice interview. Mike and Brian seemed very much at ease, with each other and being interviewed. Mike has always been a good spokesman for the band, and Brian is just funny as hell.

Made my day.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:16 AM »

Maybe some of the singers here can talk about this. I'm not a singer, but I can usually sing along to a lot of BBs songs pretty well. When I try to sing along with TWGMTR, I find it somewhat hard to stay on key. I know the guys are professionals and used to singing difficult material, but at their ages and with the band playing behind them (along with the fact that this is a new song they haven't been singing for decades), maybe it's just that hard. I admire them for giving it their all, live.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »

John Cowsill (formerly of the Cowsills, Mike & Bruce's drummer) was on the main drum kit, and Nelson Bragg (who plays with Brian's band as well as with tons of LA pop people like The Now People and Stew) was on percussion (which I *think* included a second kit on at least one song, but it was hard to tell with the way the cameras concentrated on the principals). Both of them are extraordinarily good, yes, and their interplay is fantastic.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »

I never liked Fallon...till now.  He really seemed like a huge fan, and helped put Brian at ease.

Excellent performances.  Excellent sound.  Entertaining interview.  Mike showing sincere respect and love for his cousin.

Phenomenal.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »

I'm surprised so many people lack DVRs in 2012.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:18 AM »

Maybe some of the singers here can talk about this. I'm not a singer, but I can usually sing along to a lot of BBs songs pretty well. When I try to sing along with TWGMTR, I find it somewhat hard to stay on key. I know the guys are professionals and used to singing difficult material, but at their ages and with the band playing behind them (along with the fact that this is a new song they haven't been singing for decades), maybe it's just that hard. I admire them for giving it their all, live.

I don't know much about music theory, but IMHO TWGMTR is pretty tricky, harmony-wise, with unusual chord changes and deceptive lines covering several half-notes... I love the slight sadness inherent in it, because of those cascades of half-notes.

Can anyone with more insight than yours truly bring a bit of enlightenment here?

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »

I'm surprised so many people lack DVRs in 2012.

I lack more than just a DVR.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:24 AM »

Just watched it this morning... Al really did sound great! They all did, but I was particularly struck by Al's voice. Jimmy Fallon is a pretty awesome guy to recognize The Beach Boys and to receive them the way they deserve to be received. A+ job done with class.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2012, 07:49:20 AM »

Hmm, I haven't smiled that much in a really long time.   I really love the Beach Boys.

*For the record, believe it or not, I think Brian was moving around a little better last night than he was when I saw them at Dodger Stadium. Not a lot, but some.  He was not even walking at the Stadium, purely shuffling his feet.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx