gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681356 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 04, 2024, 07:29:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Progressive Rock Band :)  (Read 8151 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

The only progressive band I ever checked out and actually loved were Pink Floyd until 2 days ago i checked out some band named "Genesis" & was completely blown away. Every new song put a smile on my face and their concept album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" definitely has to be one of the best concept albums to ever be released......

Great thread, NewGuy.

Don't get me wrong, but saying "some band named Genesis" is like saying "some band named The Beatles"  LOL!  Genesis was everywhere in the '80's, as big as Michael Jackson, almost.  In the 80's, you couldn't get away from Michael or Genesis.  (Before your time I know.)

I laughed anyway.   Grin

I'm sure you know by now that "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" was the Peter Gabriel-Genesis, and Genesis of the '80's was the Phil Collins-Genesis.  I love "Turn It On Again", "Paperlate", "Throwing It All Away" and "Invisible Touch" (even though I am a Peter Gabriel-solo fan.)

In fact, check out some Peter Gabriel to see how "progressive" evolved!

Genesis Rocks!

Phil Collins retired from music after he severely injured his back on their final tour.

Smiley thanx..
Yes I wasn't alive during the 80's so i missed out on so much music I'm barely catching up lol..All this good music you guys been knowing I've barely came across (late)..
I barely became a fanatic of classic rock last year even though I heard it my whole life..
Well I totally love 1970-1980 so that means i love Peter Gabriel's era and the albums Phil lead into the 80's.
For some reason I can't get into any album past Abacab because it has a real cheesy 80's vibe to it that i just can't stand (ughh cringe) lol
Wow as big as Michael Jackson? that's a huge statement !! lol..I know they are one of the best selling bands ever i think they sold 200 hundred million or something like that  Shocked
"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is probably the best rock opera I ever heard i can listen to it front to back..not only is the story interesting to me every single song/scene sounds amazing Smiley I actually listen to this album every night before i go to sleep and hope that i dream it. I wish I was born in the 60's so i could've witnessed all this music I'm so addicted to.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is probably the best rock opera I ever heard i can listen to it front to back..not only is the story interesting to me every single song/scene sounds amazing Smiley I actually listen to this album every night before i go to sleep and hope that i dream it. 

Maybe you're alright, kid.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »

"The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" is probably the best rock opera I ever heard i can listen to it front to back..not only is the story interesting to me every single song/scene sounds amazing Smiley I actually listen to this album every night before i go to sleep and hope that i dream it. 

angel
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »

angel

Yeah, seconded, "the kids are alright".....!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:14 PM »

thanks guys  Rock!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »

Check these albums out if you haven't already:
Emerson Lake & Palmer- Tarkus
Yes- The Yes Album
Gentle Giant- Free Hand
Caravan- In the Land of Grey And Pink
It Bites- Once Around The World

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 01:26:39 PM »

Genesis & Yes for me, two of my favourite bands ever!

Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

and

The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer

are such strong runs of albums by bands really delivering creatively each and every time. 

I will definately check out some of the other recommendations here.  Might try King Crimson next I think Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »

Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

and

The Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans, Relayer

are such strong runs of albums by bands really delivering creatively each and every time. 

I will definately check out some of the other recommendations here.  Might try King Crimson next I think Smiley
what about A Trick of Tails?Wind & Wuthering?...And Then There Were Three...? Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

do you guys know this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tFQMjc-IE
don't you think around 1:01 it sounds beach boyish ?
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:24 PM »

and

what about A Trick of Tails?Wind & Wuthering?...And Then There Were Three...? Smiley

Trick Of The Tale is my favorite Genesis album hands-down Smiley Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 05:38:12 PM »

and

Trick Of The Tale is my favorite Genesis album hands-down Smiley Smiley
When i checked out all their albums that one was definitely one of the best ones in my opinion Smiley even if it was post- gabriel..i didn't like their 80's material much but i've gotten used to it by now and appreciate it it took some time buy so did wild honey,smiley smile,sunflower Razz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »

I'm a bit weird in that I LOVE LOVE LOVE solo Peter Gabriel but am still a tad cold on his stuff with Genesis, yet I LOVE LOVE LOVE post Gabriel Genesis!

I think Duke is their best album overall!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

I prefer regressive rock.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »

I think Relayer by Yes could almost be considered regressive rock in terms of it backing away from melody and the whole classical inspirations and reverting to base aggression and rhythmic brutality for the most part..... Though, I sound like a prog-head and know you're just kidding Tongue
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »

I'm a bit weird in that I LOVE LOVE LOVE solo Peter Gabriel but am still a tad cold on his stuff with Genesis, yet I LOVE LOVE LOVE post Gabriel Genesis!

Duke is the perfect mix of progressive rock and mainstream Smiley executed flawlessly..
i love everything they did from 68- 86 Smiley
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

3 songs that are better than all the drug induced pretensions of bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis

Rush - The spirit of radio
Yes - Rundabout
Rush - Tom Sawyer

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »

3 songs that are better than all the drug induced pretensions of bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis

Yes - Rundabout
Rush - Tom Sawyer

Genesis are not a drug induced band. But one would need drugs for Rush to sound good.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »

Yes - Rundabout
Rush - Tom Sawyer

Genesis are not a drug induced band. But one would need drugs for Rush to sound good.
LOL Burnnnnnnn!!!! Genesis is amazing Smiley at times i even feel they make better music than pink floyd.
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »

ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Ain Soph, Brand X, Return to Forever, Tangerine Dream, Genesis, Caravan, The Soft Machine...oh man the list goes on and on. www.AuralMoon.com best prog website ever!

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 11:28:42 AM »

ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Ain Soph, Brand X, Return to Forever, Tangerine Dream, Genesis, Caravan, The Soft Machine...oh man the list goes on and on. www.AuralMoon.com best prog website ever!
favorite genesis song?
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

Yes - Rundabout
Rush - Tom Sawyer

hater  Tongue

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »

Duke is the perfect mix of progressive rock and mainstream Smiley executed flawlessly..

I LOVE 1980's Genesis.  Turn It On, Invisible Touch, Throwing It All Away, Land of Confusion, Paper Late WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »

I LOVE 1980's Genesis.  Turn It On, Invisible Touch, Throwing It All Away, Land of Confusion, Paper Late WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

i do too Smiley but at first i did'nt for some weird reason :/...i basically grew to love most of what they did just like i did with the beach boys and stones
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »

favorite genesis song?

Can Utility & The Coastliners and Supper's Ready from Foxtrot come straight to mind.  Really like Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis from Nursery Crhyme too.

Firth of Fith and Cinema Show from SEBTP, arrgghhh can't pick one!

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

favorite genesis song?

Can Utility & The Coastliners and Supper's Ready from Foxtrot come straight to kind.  Really like Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis from Nursery Crhyme too.

Firth of Fith and Cinema Show from SEBTP, arrgghhh can't pick one!

i know it's hard i don't know whether to pick happy the man (it has beautiful beach boy harmonies)...cinema show (the instrumentation is so pretty)...i know what i like (the hook says it all)..snowbound Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx