gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:46:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cover: Don't Do It (The Band/Marvin Gaye)  (Read 1492 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:29:52 AM »

I decided to get out my first guitar today, which I abused so much it can only hold tune in open G, has an ridiculous action, is covered in duct tape, wood glue and scratches (including 'BRIAN WILSON IS GOD' on the back, cos I was a well cool 15 year old) and hurts like a bastard to play. I generally use it to play slide, but today I thought I should cover The Band's cover of Don't Do It, and what better then on that?

So the vocals are a little rough as I am actually in physical pain  LOL But I hope it has its merits
http://soundcloud.com/samblack-1/dont-do-it
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:31:41 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:50:44 AM »

Rock!

LOVE the reverb - and your vocals are perfect!

For as beat up as the guitar is it sounds amazing!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:17:19 AM »

Niiiiice. Good music, plain and simple. Sounds like a fun song to jam out on. Incidentally I never heard the Marvin Gaye original, I'm about to seek it out!

Great job man, really enjoyed it!  Afro
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »

You're both too kind  Grin It is really fun to jam out on, even after five or six takes of utter pain - my fingers have not forgiven me....

Should get some original stuff up this week, as the degree has finished I am starting my long threatened 'concept' album....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

Can't wait for the originals!

Also, what type of mic do you use?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »

Your voice sounds great and you got a good sound out of the guitar. Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

Ta, SMiLE Brian!

One original shall come tomorrow.... You're all on the edge of your seats, I bet.  LOL I did essentially all the work on it today, but will obsessively mix after some sleep....

Rab, I use a Joe Meek 37 - they were going cheap on ebay at the time, and it records absolutely anything I want! A large-diaphragm condensor, it is. I am shocked at how effective it is. Only thing it can't seem to do is close-mic a piano, but as I barely get the opportunity to do that it's not too big of an issue.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx