gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:03:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 6: St Augustine Amphitheater- St Augustine, FL 5/2/12(SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 45515 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

So great to see they still have some surprises to come up with (IJWMFTT). Great setlist ! Can' wait to see the concert

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »

I really wish VIP Nation would allow everyone would shelled out money the opportunity to get 1 item signed while they take the photo. Security could be standing by and ensure that the line moves rapidly. I don't think there were more than 60 folks there. That's the way Graceland handles autographs with special guests during Elvis Week.

The problem is that even if there is a "one item only" rule, people will demand that they sign several items and personalize each one.  This turns a 15-minute meet-and-greet into an hour at least.  The artists won't agree to a meet-and-greet if this happens.  Several of the artists with VIP packages this summer aren't doing meet-and-greets. (e.g. Neil Diamond)  In Dallas, even though it was clearly explained to us that there were to be no autographs, the guy in front of me had a manila folder with several photographs; he threw it in front of Brian, and Brian had to say, "we're not signing anything", putting him into an awkward position.   
SG7
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

I really wish VIP Nation would allow everyone would shelled out money the opportunity to get 1 item signed while they take the photo. Security could be standing by and ensure that the line moves rapidly. I don't think there were more than 60 folks there. That's the way Graceland handles autographs with special guests during Elvis Week.

The problem is that even if there is a "one item only" rule, people will demand that they sign several items and personalize each one.  This turns a 15-minute meet-and-greet into an hour at least.  The artists won't agree to a meet-and-greet if this happens.  Several of the artists with VIP packages this summer aren't doing meet-and-greets. (e.g. Neil Diamond)  In Dallas, even though it was clearly explained to us that there were to be no autographs, the guy in front of me had a manila folder with several photographs; he threw it in front of Brian, and Brian had to say, "we're not signing anything", putting him into an awkward position.   

Unfortunately there are those fans out there that encourage others to make them get things signed. I got VIP for my show and I'm not going to bring anything. Get my pic and if I see any touring band members, I'll be happy.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »

So great to see they still have some surprises to come up with (IJWMFTT). Great setlist ! Can' wait to see the concert

According to a review, IJWMFTT fell flat because Brian put no effort into it..

unfortunately for us the song might be dropped after that

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

Yes, the St. Augustine show was filmed. A 12-person camera crew was there. It will be shown on PBS in June.  Check out the below article...it does a great job of explaining it.

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2012-05-02#.T6ML_OhYuuw

Remember the table where we had to leave our stuff? Security could ensure everyone places their stuff to be signed on the table and order that only 1 item be taken up to the guys. Security could then accompany the fan up to the Beach Boys and make sure only 1 item is signed.

Or maybe  a better idea:  Security could say, "If you want 1 item signed, "hand it me," and I'll take it over to The Beach Boys."  Isn't this possible?

Maybe all this should happen before the photo op. Keep the fans away from the Beach Boys as they sign. Then once they're finished signing 1 item, then have the photo op. If a fan says they have one more item to be signed, security or the Beach Boys can easily say, "I'm sorry..." This would be a quick assembly line type scenario. But just my two cents.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 10:30:30 PM »

According to a review, IJWMFTT fell flat because Brian put no effort into it..

unfortunately for us the song might be dropped after that

Don't know where that review is from, but I was there and he sounded great. One of his best leads of the night.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »

How is their current take on "This Whole World"? I haven't seen them yet and as far as I know there is no audio of this song circulating as of yet.

Yes there is..  Only 45 seconds or so, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIOQehFx-0
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2012, 02:37:15 AM »

Two small clips from the show here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jztemple/videos?query=beach+boys

(Little Deuce Coupe & Surfin' USA)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:45 AM »

http://staugustine.com/news/local-news/2012-05-02#.T6O6y8WihCM

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DJole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2012, 04:25:52 AM »

Two more clips (Fun Fun Fun & Sail On Sailor):

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryan7771/videos?query=beach+boys

Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2012, 09:49:02 AM »

A nice fellow SmileySmiler send me his recording of IJWMFTT from this concert.  Brian did try to put emotion into this but then his voice was not in top form (and I don't know how much autotune was responsible for some parts). But the audience certainly loved it

- Jack Rieley
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »

It sounds passable, but the autotune takes something away from that song in particular. They should keep it in the set! it's one of the few songs that Brian can replicate his entire vocal as opposed to giving the high parts to Foskett
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2012, 07:06:44 AM »

Just heard IJWMFTT. Overall, you can tell Brian sings this stronger than he did 10 years ago.

Needless to say, it would sound 1,000,000,000 x better without the autotune.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:14:58 AM by jeremylr » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »

Those your pictures? Very nice.  Cool

No mas, por favor.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »

Yes, they're mine. Sorry it's taken so long to upload. Seeing the BB's brilliant performance on Jimmy Fallon gave me that extra push I needed. Hope some of these are worthwhile. Just wish I had gotten more of Brian, but he was on opposite side of stage, buried behind that grand piano...I didn't use my flash for any of these photos, as my camera probably would have been confiscated. I was sitting on aisle & didn't get to focus like I wanted to (I was also holding pen & notebook).  The lighting was weird on some of the pics, so I made them black & white.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:43:52 AM by jeremylr » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »

Wondeful pictures. And cool to see the SmileySmile cover behind Al  Cheesy

- Jack Rieley
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »

Great photos!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »

Some great pics Jeremy. Thanks for sharing.  Cool Guy
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2012, 05:13:10 PM »

Thanks for the nice compliments. I also took my parents to the show. They didn't do the VIP thing. Anyway, my mom kept my camera until the show started; really wish I could have taken some photos at soundcheck. You all have  to see Al wearing shorts.

If PBS uses most of the footage from St. Augustine, I think the band will look good on TV. The only one to watch out for is Mike, who dressed kinda loud & Hawaii-like as usual. I wonder if someone told him to change his lime-green pants; he wore the coffee-brown ones after the intermission.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx