gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:24:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 6: St Augustine Amphitheater- St Augustine, FL 5/2/12(SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 45356 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, is this the first time The Beach Boys have ever played "I Just Wasn't Made for these Times" live?
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 09:33:10 PM »

Applauding the addition of IJWMFTT  and bringing back This Whole World .  Why drop Wouldn't It Be Nice?  I wish they would drop Be True To Your School and Barbara Ann. 

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:18 PM »

They didn't drop "Wouldn't It Be Nice". First off, its a great song, and secondly I don't think the crowd would let them get away with that.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 09:48:44 PM »

Wasn't it #1 anyways?  Noway in hell they'll drop it... and then on top of that, it's my favorite song of all time by anybody.  It's a perfect song, perfectly written, perfectly sung, perfectly produced, perfectly arranged, perfect length, etc. 

I'm always surprised that they play "The Little Girl I Once Knew" so much.  I was under the impression that it wasn't ever really a big hit... and to me, the song of course like most of Brian's genius songs has some clever, interesting things going on (Like how he kills the music, twice, to bare silence... and the really cool top harmony line in the chorus... and the guitar... and the flutes or keyboards or whatever they are.... etc.) but it's not really a great sing a long song, or one that you want to hear over and over again.  This Whole World is superior to it in every single way. 

rogerlancelot
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »

Ron, I disagree with you about "The Little Girl I Once Knew". It was a top 20 hit ("This Whole World" never even charted nor did it's A-Side "Slip On Through") and it is every bit as catchy of their hits at the time, notably "California Girls" and "Dance Dance Dance". But I wouldn't mind at all if they dropped "Then I Kissed Her" so they could have both songs locked into their set.

How is their current take on "This Whole World"? I haven't seen them yet and as far as I know there is no audio of this song circulating as of yet.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »

Wasn't it #1 anyways?  

#8.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »

Sweetdudejim,  I made a mistake.  I rechecked the setlist!  thanks for the correction.  I want to keep Then I Kissed Her in the set.  I love Al's vocal on that one. 

Wouldn't It Be Nice.. One of my top 5 BB tunes.  Love it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »

As I said I missed it too.

Now that WOULD be f*cking with the formula if it was left out.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »

"The Little Girl I Once Knew" is one of the songs that got me into the Beach Boys as more than a casual fan.   I suppose for some people, YMMV.  It also rocks, at least it's not a slow song.  I'm surprised "All This Is That" stays in.  It sounds like it slows down the show and no one bought a ticket for the Beach Boys reunion to hear Darian sing a lead.  I'd rather hear "Girl Don't Tell Me" sung by Al Jardine than "And Then I Kissed Her."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:49:51 PM by mcg1119 » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 10:55:56 PM »

Then I Kissed Her is essential imo.  One of their best songs! 

All This Is That I really like but from the sounds of the reviews from the concerts the crowd goes to sleep when they play it. 

"This Whole World" must be superior to "The Little Girl I Once Knew" in every way EXCEPT chart position, then. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »

"The Little Girl I Once Knew" is one of the songs that got me into the Beach Boys as more than a casual fan.   I suppose for some people, YMMV.  It also rocks, at least it's not a slow song.  I'm surprised "All This Is That" stays in.  It sounds like it slows down the show and no one bought a ticket for the Beach Boys reunion to hear Darian sing a lead.  I'd rather hear "Girl Don't Tell Me" sung by Al Jardine than "And Then I Kissed Her."

Darian doesn't sing lead on anything. He sings a part along with Brian, and Mike sings his verses and Scott Totten takes the sky high stuff. Plus, that's kind of a jerky thing to say. People didn't buy tickets to hear Jeff or Robo-Brian either, but that's what they're getting.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

Mark Lindsay of Paul Revere & The Raiders attended the show, too. He was brought out briefly during their soundcheck & introduced by Bruce. Was hoping he would join them on a song, but he remained incognito. Did walk up to him & get his autograph after I spotted him sitting in the crowd.

All The Beach Boys were dressed quite well, although some may be alarmed that Mike wore green pants; he changed them to brown after intermission. And Bruce didn't wear shorts; he looked great in a long sleeve pale yellow shirt & jeans.

It was funny at the beginning; Al had sound problems; he would keep gesturing at the sound guy; finally they came out & straightened things out before he sang Cottenfields. Brian wore a Hawaiian shirt during soundcheck & Al wore shorts! Thank God they changed for the show.  They performed I Just Wasn't Made For These Times at soundcheck, so glad they included it in the show.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2012, 11:09:12 PM »

It should be illegal for any male human over 17 to wear shorts outside of their home. 
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »

There's actually adults who care what people choose to wear? Sad, sad world.

No mas, por favor.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 11:20:31 PM »

It should be illegal for any male human over 17 to wear shorts outside of their home. 
you care about gender way too much.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

A few other things before I forget...

1.  Brian was the first Beach Boy present for soundcheck. He was just sitting there, lost in his own world as the VIPs filed in.
2.  I talked to 4 or 5 people, and they seemed to agree that Brian really came alive after intermission. I actually liked him singing Sail On Sailor; at least he seemed to be trying. He missed some cues before intermission. You could see Al watching him intently.
3.  Mike was oogling some girls in their early 20s who stepped forward several times to shake his hand.
4.  Mike had to mention the John Stamos/Full House connection before Forever was performed; also cool that Two Lane Blacktop is airing late tonight on Encore.
5.  Al was still shaking hands from the stage after the band had departed.
6.  Dave can leap over a merchandise stand counter [not really sure why, but he did]. And his solos were killer.
7. Although some of the songs like Disney Girls & All This Is That might have been sleepers compared to the rest, folks in the front did stand and applaud.
8. Great watching Brian do his little dance shuffle during soundcheck on Barbara Ann {he strapped his bass on].

TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

1.  Brian was the first Beach Boy present for soundcheck. He was just sitting there, lost in his own world as the VIPs filed in.
2.  I talked to 4 or 5 people, and they seemed to agree that Brian really came alive after intermission. I actually liked him singing Sail On Sailor; at least he seemed to be trying. He missed some cues before intermission. You could see Al watching him intently.
3.  Mike was oogling some girls in their early 20s who stepped forward several times to shake his hand.
4.  Mike had to mention the John Stamos/Full House connection before Forever was performed; also cool that Two Lane Blacktop is airing late tonight on Encore.
6.  Dave can leap over a merchandise stand counter [not really sure why, but he did]. And his solos were killer.
7. Although some of the songs like Disney Girls & All This Is That might have been sleepers compared to the rest, folks in the front did stand and applaud.
8. Great watching Brian do his little dance shuffle during soundcheck on Barbara Ann {he strapped his bass on].

Jeremylr - what did you think about the meet and greet?
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2012, 05:54:58 AM »

2. agreed with Brian coming alive after intermission. you could start to see signs of it right before intermission also.
3. i was in the 4th row so we could see some of the girls going to the front to shake his hand. one of them wouldn't let him go so he had to forcefully yank his hand out of hers. my wife said she saw one of the girls lick his hand or something, i didn't see all that.
5. almost shook Al's hand, but he departed right after some fan wouldn't let him go. this was some guy, not the girl that did the same to Mike.

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2012, 06:45:26 AM »

Bunch of great photos of last nights show..

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=424666927553280&id=114707405032

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 08:13:45 AM »

In 2006 I did the VIP thing with Sheryl Crow in Atlanta. It was called I Love All Access then, but it's the same company. The only photo they would let us get was a full group photo with 50+ people. So, at least the Beach Boys m&g let everyone get an individual photo. Was very quick; Brian was seated, and all the guys were standing around him. All I thought to say was that it was a pleasure meeting him, and Brian said "Thank you." Stood next to Al and told him I interviewed him over the phone last year [the one where he announced Smile was coming out]. That got him curious. We only talked for seconds; the VIP host was taking the photo or else.

There was confusion about getting stuff signed. A few folks hung around after they got their photo & got their albums signed. I was very near the end, but I was ushered out by security. Jeff was next to the VIP host, encouraging Brian to smile for the photos.

I met 2 guys while we were waiting in line. I couldn't believe how much they knew about the band. Told them to visit Smiley Smile. One of them, named Holt, was just 18. He started playing Smart Girls on his iPhone to prove it was the worst song Brian ever recorded. Anyway, after the VIP photo op was over, we were just milling around near the backstage area.

A guy walks up and said he got Mike to sign his Pet Sounds album. So we walk a little further & see Darian & the band eating inside the same place where the photos were taken. Darian was seated right next to the door, so I immediately walked up to him & started chatting. Then Probyn Gregory comes by.  I'm sure there were other band members walking around us; I just don't know them all. Tried to find Scott Bennett to no avail.

Long story short, Al, Bruce, and David were eating in there. Got autographs from all of them. David admitted he has no idea what goes on inside Brian's head. Also joked about the Tupac hologram thing while discussing Forever.

Talked with Al for quite awhile, he was very friendly. I introduced myself again. He remembered I called him "Mr. Al" during our 2011 phone interview. Holt had a Pickwick ['60s budget subsidiary of Capitol] LP with the Beach Boys Concert tracklisting. Al got really curious about this and was reading on the back of it. He thought the "P" in Pickwick was an R, so he was thinking it said Reprise Records for awhile there. He seemed happy to be on Robo Records. Also admitted he never finished "My Plane Leaves Tomorrow," which was supposed to have been a bonus cut on Postcard from California. Tried to encourage him to record another solo album.

The whole soundcheck experience was worthwhile, too. We were maybe 20 rows back from the stage. Bruce joked quite a bit to the VIP'ers. But his mic wasn't loud enough so I missed much of what he said.

I really wish VIP Nation would allow everyone would shelled out money the opportunity to get 1 item signed while they take the photo. Security could be standing by and ensure that the line moves rapidly. I don't think there were more than 60 folks there. That's the way Graceland handles autographs with special guests during Elvis Week.

Jeremy

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:46:06 AM by jeremylr » Logged
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »

A guy walks up and said he got Mike to sign his Pet Sounds album. So Holt said we should just walk back to where they took the photos. So we go in & see everyone eating. Darian was seated right next to the door, so I immediately walked up to him & asked him to autograph my book. We were talking, and a security guy walked up, asking Darian if we were friends of his. Being honest, he said he had just met us. Then Probyn Gregory comes by. Started chatting with him. I still can't believe the security guy didn't throw us out. I'm sure there were other band members walking around us; I just don't know them all. Tried to find Scott Bennett to no avail.

It's great you got to do this, but for everyone else, keep in mind that as part of the VIP package, you sign a waiver where you promise NOT to do this.  In other venues, trying to go back and get autographs could get you kicked out of the venue.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »

Is this the show that was formally filmed? Do we know anything about the DVD that will finally come out from this tour?  Are there more than one?  that is, a PBS version and one that the BB are producing and selling?  I am lost and like all of you hungry for the opportunity to listen and watch endlessly a full and endless high quality video chronicling all this. these utube videos are great as a whisper of the reality.

thanks
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »

The suspense is killing me - wonder when IJWMFTT will pop up on youtube.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
SG7
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »

A guy walks up and said he got Mike to sign his Pet Sounds album. So Holt said we should just walk back to where they took the photos. So we go in & see everyone eating. Darian was seated right next to the door, so I immediately walked up to him & asked him to autograph my book. We were talking, and a security guy walked up, asking Darian if we were friends of his. Being honest, he said he had just met us. Then Probyn Gregory comes by. Started chatting with him. I still can't believe the security guy didn't throw us out. I'm sure there were other band members walking around us; I just don't know them all. Tried to find Scott Bennett to no avail.

It's great you got to do this, but for everyone else, keep in mind that as part of the VIP package, you sign a waiver where you promise NOT to do this.  In other venues, trying to go back and get autographs could get you kicked out of the venue.

This is reassuring at least!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2012, 12:17:38 PM »

There's actually adults who care what people choose to wear? Sad, sad world.

Yep.  They wear what they want to wear and that's fine with me.  Anyway, I like Hawaiian shirts. Don't know what the big deal is. If you don't like them, don't wear one,  If somebody else is, don't worry about it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx