gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:18:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Show 6: St Augustine Amphitheater- St Augustine, FL 5/2/12(SETLIST/PICS/REVIEWS)  (Read 45353 times)
freedomaspirer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

Seems to be a trend, that folk don't notice the autotune live, probably enjoying the show too much! but as soon as the youtube clips are up, it blatent! let Brian sing normally for goodness sake, he's not that bad! autotune does barely any good for his voice
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »

Some young girl on twitter is really upset Stamos isn't there, hilarious  LOL

People keep joking about that, but he really is, amazingly, still relevant.  He had a reoccuring role on Glee, he's mentioned all the time on T.V., I think the guy probably has lots of connections in the industry, so keeps his name out there even though he never really does anything. 

Not much eye candy appeal among the current Beach Boys.  Like guys were upset when Taylor Mills left the Brian Wilson band, gals are unhappy they don't get a glimpse of Stamos. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:58 PM »

I think the dirty little secret may be, too, that more young people are at the show than old people.  (Remember the songs from here and back car songs shtick, where he asks the audience how many are under 25, and they outnumber the older folks? That was '86 or so). 

So, if the people who are at the show are all 30 or so, Stamos is just as much part of the band as Brian is. 
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

Absolutely amazing show. Loved it. The only time the crowd really zoned out was Disney Girls and All This is That. Otherwise the crowd was hot the entire night.

"you've got the beach boys...your firms got the stones"
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »

Second half

California dreamin
Sloop John b
Wibn
In my room
This whole world
Forever
H&V
All this is that
Sail on sailor
I just wasn't made for these times
God only knows
Twgmtr
California girls
All summer long
Rhonda
Rock n roll music
Do you wanna dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Kokomo
GV
Fun fun fun

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

California dreamin
Sloop John b
Wibn
In my room
This whole world
Forever
H&V
All this is that
Sail on sailor
I just wasn't made for these times
God only knows
Twgmtr
California girls
All summer long
Rhonda
Rock n roll music
Do you wanna dance
Barbara Ann
Surfin USA

Kokomo
GV
Fun fun fun

The debut of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times"!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:18:35 PM by Justin » Logged
dumbangel76
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"!! Love it!! Can the guys do a Pet Sounds 2nd set!?!? Grin
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOO
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »

YEAH! SHOW ME A VIDEO! WOOOOHOOO!

I KNEW we would see something different!

Damn. That's some second set. Now I just want to know how Brian sounded...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:53:08 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »

Wow that's quite the unexpected addition.  Like everyone else, I'm wondering how Brian sounded on it - if he did even a passable job, hopefully it will stay.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

Wondering if Brian and Al together like they did  in '06! Sounded awesome!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Oh. My. God.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RCTID
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »

I don't recall him sounding bad on IJWMFTT. If he did it wasn't bad enough to stand out. There were times he sounded rough... I'm looking at you Sail On Sailor.

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 08:30:06 PM »

he really doesn't like that song, not sure why he sings it!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »

he really doesn't like that song, not sure why he sings it!
Because its a non-Mike lead that's in his "range". There aren't that many.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »

I don't recall him sounding bad on IJWMFTT. If he did it wasn't bad enough to stand out. There were times he sounded rough... I'm looking at you Sail On Sailor.

Yeah, Brian really has no business singing "Sail On, Sailor".  Couldn't one of the backup guys take over on this one? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »

So 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' got cut tonight and IJWMFTT was in the starting line-up. Pity there was not room for both even if Jeff did it.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »

"I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"!! Love it!! Can the guys do a Pet Sounds 2nd set!?!? Grin
Wow! One of their best. This makes me wonder if they added it because it was just prominently featured on Mad Men  (it's a cable TV show) last week.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:05 PM »

Yeah, Brian really has no business singing "Sail On, Sailor".  Couldn't one of the backup guys take over on this one? 

Scott Bennett did it on their last tour and he did a fantastic job with it.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:47 PM »

So 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' got cut tonight and IJWMFTT was in the starting line-up. Pity there was not room for both even if Jeff did it.

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA...

NO WOULDN'T IT BE NICE???

NO NO NO NOT HAVING THAT.  

wait no it's on the setlist.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:50:02 PM by Runaways » Logged
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA...

Don't know where he got that from. They did play Wouldn't It Be Nice. It was played after Sloop john B.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

I was one of the ones who said I'd try to give any updates, but being as it was my first show ever with them, I was way too involved to do so so I apologize. Thanks to Golden Al for the setlist, he did a great job. It was amazing they added IJWMFTT. Brian was rough on that particular song at the beginning, but by the middle and end, he had gotten comfortable and sounded good. Sail On Sailor was rough, but the words are so twisty and fast to sing, I'm surprised they do it with Brian on lead.

I'm sure Golden Al wasn't too happy with the Be True to Your School set being that I can assume he is a Miami fan. LOL Being a Gator fan, I was absolutely loving it, but I bet he didn't. haha Wink It's an inside joke between us college football fans, especially in the state of Florida.

I will post more tomorrow. Unfortunately I have work early and need to get to bed. My seats were in the third level so they weren't great for pictures, but I'll check and see how good my closeups got. I also have video and will look into getting that up tomorrow.

All in all, I was amazed and in absolute awe. The Boys were great and rocked the place like nuts and agree that Disney Girls and All This is That kind of lulled the place to sleep, but whatever. I liked them.

Things that stood out: David was amazing on the guitar and Al sounded fantastic. I also came out with a ton of respect with one Mr. Foskett. He did a great job. The backing band was tremendous. Mike was his regular self and honestly I loved his banter. He, Al, and Brian had some cool and funny exchanges.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

Third song, second set. 
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01:49 PM »

Ok so I just got in a bit ago. I was gonna post the setlist, but I see that's already been done. So I'll add some comments.

First off, the crowd. Seemed like a lot of country club types in their leis and Hawaiian shirts. Then a few younger people like myself and some genuine Brian Wilson/Beach Boys fans. But overall, everybody seemed really cool. I have to say though, people were pretty low key during stuff like "Heroes And Villains", "Sail On, Sailor", "This Whole World", etc.

The  performance. All I can say is....wow! They were absolutely fantastic. I think Brian sounded pretty great, along with Mike and Bruce, and Al absolutely blew me away with his voice. And I must admit, whenever I saw all the car songs listed, I was pretty "meh" about it, but in this setting they absolutely rocked! Played with a bunch of punky energy with great singing by Mike,  "I Get Around", "Shut Down" and "409" kicked out the jams, as Dr. Love would say. I also thought Brian sounded lovely on "Please Let Me Wonder" and "This Whole World". Two of my favorite B. Wilson cuts, I'm super stoked I got to hear those both live.

The setlist. The first half seemed more dedicated to the earlier to mid '60s material, besides a few things like "Do It Again" and "Cottonfields". And for the most part, it was great. However, I think I would lose "Don't Back Down", "The Little Girl I Once Knew" and "Wendy" maybe for some things like "Good Timin'", "Farmer's Daughter", "The Warmth of the Sun" and "Marcella" .  Just my call. I also gotta say I applaud the band for the amount of adventurous material they played in the second half. I gotta say, I didn't realize the guts that takes until you are there hearing these things. Looking at the set as I wrote it out, they did "This Whole World", "Forever", "Heroes And Villains", "All This is That", "Sail On, Sailor", "I Just Wasn't Made for these Times", "God Only Knows" and then "That's Why God Made the Radio" in order. Pretty ballsy I must say. And I loved it.

I guess that's it!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA...

Don't know where he got that from. They did play Wouldn't It Be Nice. It was played after Sloop john B.

My bad! Missed seeing it down as 'Wibn'.

So that was 2 times 2 PS songs. Could the audience cope with 4 in a row as a mini set?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx