-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:20:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  FINAL FAREWELL TOUR !!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FINAL FAREWELL TOUR !!!  (Read 22860 times)
Paulos
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »

I'm guessing his ass.
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

Meh, all those audience recordings sound like crap.  I'll wait for the officially released stuff.

I had a fantastic time at the Dallas show, and I will buy any DVD/CD that is made of this tour.  However, I disagree that all the audience recordings sound like crap.  They don't sound as good as released soundboard recordings, but a few are quite enjoyable to listen to and are in pretty good stereo.   There are some nice sounding ones on Youtube, a 10-minute clip with stereo audio of the end of first half medley (Little Deuce Coupe / 409 / Shut Down / I Get Around) and nice ones of Disney Girls and In My Room from the same user.

Of course, recording devices are not allowed into the shows, and at least at the Dallas show, there were ushers running around, making people turn off cell phones.

The released "live" recordings are all heavily edited and almost always overdubbed in the studio. I will bet a lot of money that if a CD of this tour is released, Brian will re-record his vocals in the studio, and Mike will probably at least enhance or double-track his vocals.  Released live recordings lack the excitement of the audience participation - often, they just put stock audience noise into the back two channels of a surround sound mix on the DVD.  Usually they cut Mike Love's banter, which is brief but quite funny, and very well received by the audience.  By making the recording sound like a polished studio recording, they take away the spontaneous excitement.

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »

Mike owns the name for touring

He doesn't own, he rents.

Has the lease expired yet?
Thats the truth: mike love does not own the name beach boys !

OK, fine, he rents it, he leases it, he licensed it, whatever.  Good grief. The point is he currently controls the name for touring. Or at least that's the way I've understood it. And whether Mike Love considers himself the Beach Boys is  a silly question. He's only one person so I suspect not.  But, he has certain rights to use the band's name, and, as others have pointed out, he has used it to keep the band alive for the public.   As for the other silly question, no, Paul doesn't call himself and/or his touring group The Beatles because . . . the Beatles broke up as a band,  and they all ceased using the name as a band.  That's not what happened here.

As you might not know brian had been fighting in court because he didnt want mike to keep using the beach boys name.
Beatle, I think you are confusing Brian with Al. To the best of my knowedge, Brother Records Inc. - the corporate entity that is The Beach Boys - licensed the name to Mike for his shows. So, Mike does not own it; it is rented or leased, as someone else said upthread.

In the early '00s, Alan was touring as Beach Boys Family and Friends. This name  was, in Alan's opinion, clearly not "The Beach Boys," but an offshoot comprising family and friends. BRI disagreed and prohibited him from continuing to use it.

- B00ts
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »

This is for sure the last beach boys tour and new cd ever.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:25:34 PM by beatle » Logged
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 08:20:50 PM »

Never say never.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »

Yeh, I'm not so sure about that.  I'll bet there is a pretty good chance we'll see something else in the future if this tour and LP exceed expectation$$$.

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »

OK, fine, he rents it, he leases it, he licensed it, whatever.  Good grief. The point is he currently controls the name for touring. Or at least that's the way I've understood it. And whether Mike Love considers himself the Beach Boys is  a silly question. He's only one person so I suspect not.  But, he has certain rights to use the band's name, and, as others have pointed out, he has used it to keep the band alive for the public.   As for the other silly question, no, Paul doesn't call himself and/or his touring group The Beatles because . . . the Beatles broke up as a band,  and they all ceased using the name as a band.  That's not what happened here.

As you might not know brian had been fighting in court because he didnt want mike to keep using the beach boys name.
Beatle, you are trying to teach the wrong group of people about the history of the Beach Boys.
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

That's the truth: mike love does not own the name beach boys !

OK, fine, he rents it, he leases it, he licensed it, whatever.  Good grief. The point is he currently controls the name for touring. Or at least that's the way I've understood it. And whether Mike Love considers himself the Beach Boys is  a silly question. He's only one person so I suspect not.  But, he has certain rights to use the band's name, and, as others have pointed out, he has used it to keep the band alive for the public.   As for the other silly question, no, Paul doesn't call himself and/or his touring group The Beatles because . . . the Beatles broke up as a band,  and they all ceased using the name as a band.  That's not what happened here.

As you might not know Brian had been fighting in court because he didn't want mike to keep using the beach boys name.
Beatle, you are trying to teach the wrong group of people about the history of the Beach Boys.
No,i know what i'm talking about.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:26:28 PM by beatle » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »

[/quote]No,i know what i'm talking about.
[/quote]

OK, then.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »

About Al's quotes, about Brian's quotes:

Only the famous get every word they say taken seriously.  All the rest of us contradict ourselves constantly, but nobody cares enough to notice. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 12:57:14 AM »

Beatle, where you are getting this "information"?

I'm guessing Alex McDonald  LOL

Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 01:02:36 AM »

OK, fine, he rents it, he leases it, he licensed it, whatever.  Good grief. The point is he currently controls the name for touring. Or at least that's the way I've understood it. And whether Mike Love considers himself the Beach Boys is  a silly question. He's only one person so I suspect not.  But, he has certain rights to use the band's name, and, as others have pointed out, he has used it to keep the band alive for the public.   As for the other silly question, no, Paul doesn't call himself and/or his touring group The Beatles because . . . the Beatles broke up as a band,  and they all ceased using the name as a band.  That's not what happened here.

As you clearly do not know, that's ill-informed nonsense: any voting member who conforms to the terms laid down in the BRI license can call themselves The Beach Boys for touring purposes. Said license was voted into being on a 3-1 majority back in the late 90s, since when no-one has challenged it.

Someone asked Brian about that a few years ago, and his response was classic: "Well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys, and Alan is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson !"

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »

Beatle, where you are getting this "information"?

I'm guessing Alex McDonald  LOL

I'm guessing Alex Trebek!

Wrong it is ,WHO IS, Alex Trebek
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 03:29:27 PM »

As you clearly do not know, that's ill-informed nonsense: any voting member who conforms to the terms laid down in the BRI license can call themselves The Beach Boys for touring purposes. Said license was voted into being on a 3-1 majority back in the late 90s, since when no-one has challenged it.

Someone asked Brian about that a few years ago, and his response was classic: "Well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys, and Alan is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson !"
brian never said that.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »

brian never said that.

Printed in a UK rock mag two, three years ago. Suggest you check your facts before you start making a fool of yourself.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

brian never said that.

Printed in a UK rock mag two, three years ago. Suggest you check your facts before you start making a fool of yourself.

Pretty sure it's too late for that Andrew.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

Do Vintage Music and Ghost walk again??

Banana

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

That's the truth: mike love does not own the name beach boys !

As you might not know Brian had been fighting in court because he didn't want mike to keep using the beach boys name.

Brian never said that.

Not everything in a magazine is true.Brian would never forget to mention Carl and Dennis as real beach boys even now they are gone ,he always mentions them ! He always tells in interviews Carl and Dennis are the real beach boys besides mike,Bruce,AL jardine and that it's too bad they are gone. He talked in several interviews about the current lineup from beach boys at that time of the interview,but he still always mentions Carl and Dennis as the real beach boys too in every interview if asked about it !
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:38:53 PM by beatle » Logged
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »

butcarlanddennisaredeadandimprettysurebrianwastalkingaboutthepresentdayarrangementsisthisclearenoughforyoubeatleorwouldsomepunctuationhelp?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »

I think if you put it in bold text he would understand....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »

butcarlanddennisaredeadandimprettysurebrianwastalkingaboutthepresentdayarrangementsisthisclearenoughforyoubeatleorwouldsomepunctuationhelp?
you have to learn to read better.
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »

after 2012 mike and Bruce will keep touring with a band they name beach boys but it isn't beach boys,i don't get why anyone still would go to mike and Bruce,they should be named the mike love fake beach boys !!

Let's see, Mike, a founding member, has been a Beach Boy his entire adult life, Bruce the better part of it. What part of that is "fake"?  (Keep in mind Mike owns the name for touring, which is why it's named the Beach Boys.) And, I suspect people go see Mike and Bruce, AKA the Beach Boys, because it is a great band playing great songs.
mike love isn't the beach boys,without the rest of the guys it is mike love solo.but if mike love would tour solo with his name then he would not make any money,because nobody would come and see him,and he knows that.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:39:55 PM by beatle » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 07:18:04 PM »

If the Beach Boys say he is the Beach Boys and give him a license to be the Beach Boys then.....

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
beatle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »

If the Beach Boys say he is the Beach Boys and give him a license to be the Beach Boys then.....
That still doesn't mean he is the beach boys,he is just lucky,the others can perform solo people still come,not the case with mike love,people would not come if he didn't kept using the name beach boys since Carl died in 1998.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:40:31 PM by beatle » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »

New angle, Phil?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: