gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:22:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last GREAT Beach Boys song in your opinion  (Read 31115 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2013, 03:04:17 PM »

And they didn't play it once on the C50 tour.

They did play Summer's Gone though, which is pretty cool lest we forget.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »

Against Mike's wishes btw  Roll Eyes

They should've done the entire suite but doing "Summer's gone" was something special at least

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

Against Mike's wishes btw  Roll Eyes

They should've done the entire suite but doing "Summer's gone" was something special at least

Who says it was against Mike's wishes? All reports have Mike in charge of the setlists.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2013, 05:53:23 PM »

I whole-heartedly feel that, against any realistic expectation, we were given two truly great Beach Boys songs on TWGMTR.

It's the obvious choice, yes, but "From There to Back Again" is really a wonderful song, put down to tape in a recording which features a fantastic Al Jardine lead.

As much as I adore FTtBA and "Pacific Coast Highway," (which at under two minutes, feels less like a modern pop song, and more a movement) to me, the greatest Beach Boys song in literally years and years is "Summer's Gone."  I won't go into the merits of this song, as those who feel the same already understand, but, just "wow."  What an unexpectedly beautiful gift this one turned out to be.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »

I feel that some of you are over rating That's Why God Made the Radio (the song) a bit. Just my opinion. Perhaps a solid song, but great? I think Kokamo is better song IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »

I still can't believe something as good as "From There To Back Again" came to be 50 years into their existence.

That and "Pacific Coast Highway."  Of late, I've also started to like "Strange World" quite a bit more, but I'm not sure whether I consider it great or just really good.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »

I feel that some of you are over rating That's Why God Made the Radio (the song) a bit. Just my opinion. Perhaps a solid song, but great? I think Kokamo is better song IMO.

If you think "Kokamo" is better, it still isn't good enough to be spelled correctly Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »

From There To back Again - by many a mile, followed by Summer's Gone, Pacific Coast Highway, Think About The Days and Strange World.

If you're not counting TWGMTR,  My Diane or Winter Symphony or Baby Blue or Morning Christmas (if that can be called a BB song as opposed to a Dennis one) or Angel, Come Home or Love Surrounds Me and, as an outsider, Lookin' Down the Coast (the boot version as opposed to the Al solo one, which is good, but it is Al's version).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:56 AM »

"Think About The Days" is a stunner, too. "Isn't It Time" is great too though not as deep emotionally. "Strange World" is very good too. "TWGMTR" is just good, not very good. My favorite radio show played "Beaches In Mind" this morning opening the 5 am show. Many dislike it, I think it would be a really good song with a more interesting arrangement.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2013, 07:46:42 AM »

"Think About The Days" is a stunner. My favorite radio show played "Beaches In Mind" this morning opening the 5 am show. Many dislike it, I think it would be a really good song with a more interesting arrangement.
The former really has grown on me recently, I distinctly hear Al in the vocal mix. It's a very beautiful beginning of the album, overall. As for BIM, I like it the way it is done, don't want to change anything in it. I like the song almost as much as Isn't It Time - another upbeat track. Tastes differ, though.

Btw, what is the name of that radio show & is it the same one which you mentioned in another topic when you've heard another BBs song, if I recall, another TWGMTR cut?

Yup, exactly. It's called Nightlounge, I rarely ever listen to it though because it runs from 2 to 6 am. This morning I accidentally woke up just before 5 am. The other TWGMTR song I heard there was Isn't It Time, I know there was a show they opened with Daybreak OTO, and one where the song I hate was played. This was today's playlist:
http://www.ndr.de/info/programm/musik/nachtclub/playlist9345.html

Too bad I didn't hear track 9 from that list...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:48:14 AM by Micha » Logged

goodtimer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:04 PM »

I really like Shelter, Spring Vacation and Pacific Coast Highway
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 09, 2013, 06:25:40 PM »

That's really good to know!  Thanks for that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 09, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »

I still can't believe something as good as "From There To Back Again" came to be 50 years into their existence.

Ain't that the truth! Sometimes I'm still not convinced it actually happened.

Seriously, other than the change in Brian's voice from way back then, and different production/sound sensibilities, a person could slap that track at the end of Side 1 on the Surf's Up album (or perhaps Holland), and maybe amaze or fool a few people.

(try saying that last phrase 10 times fast)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:33:11 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:19 AM »

Yup, exactly. It's called Nightlounge, I rarely ever listen to it though because it runs from 2 to 6 am. This morning I accidentally woke up just before 5 am. The other TWGMTR song I heard there was Isn't It Time, I know there was a show they opened with Daybreak OTO, and one where the song I hate was played. This was today's playlist:
http://www.ndr.de/info/programm/musik/nachtclub/playlist9345.html

Too bad I didn't hear track 9 from that list...
Thanks for the info, Micha! Shall memorize that radio show & check it. It's cool to see that BIM is at #1, i.e. an opener. Generally, it's cool that the songs from new BBs record got & get numerous rotations on radio. Regarding track 9, I understand why you're upset about it - you're a German, so it's no wonder you'd like to hear sth. sung on your native language. Don't worry, there will be many other ones, that's for sure.

There reason for me regretting to have turnd off the radio after the fourth song or so to try to sleep again isn't that it was a German song... the title translates as "Kiss me quick before you burst" (the German word I translate as "burst" implies bursting like a balloon) from the album "If you break my heart, I'll break your legs" by artist "Olli Schulz and Mary the dog" Cheesy

Oh, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9oVn12GC2g

The lyrics are pretty nonsensical, about a couple looking inside the fridge and reflecting about the contents...

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 12, 2013, 06:00:38 AM »

If you think "Kokamo" is better, it still isn't good enough to be spelled correctly Wink 2

Kokaine-mo?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx