gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 16, 2024, 03:57:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The last GREAT Beach Boys song in your opinion  (Read 31497 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »

Semi-classic: "Somewhere Near Japan"...

Almost classic: "Where I Belong"...

Stone classic:" Sail On, Sailor".

Of course, this listing may change circa 6/5/2012.

Right on Andrew!!!  I'm glad to see Beach Boys 85 get some love and respect.  Carl is absolutely stunning on it.  To paraphrase American Idol's Randy Jackson: "Don't do Stevie.  No one expects you to be like Stevie..."  Carl Wilson is amazing on BB85, guys. 

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 12:03:35 AM »

I don't mean, good or ok, or kinda like, I mean Great! I think their last great album was Holland with few great songs after. But the last great song to me was on an otherwise forgettable BB85 album. That's right! 'Where I Belong' by Carl Wilson.

I completely agree! Where I Belong, incredible song - if it were a Brian Wilson song it'd be reguarly praised to the heavens, as it is it's a forgotten gem and by far Carl's most under-rated song.
MBE
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 12:54:46 AM »

I am an unabashed fan of all sorts of music from say 1951-73. I get fussy about music after the early seventies and since say 1984 I can maybe pick a couple dozen records I really enjoy. The 1985 album is not one of the ones I go back to and it basically sums up everything wrong with the period to me. I tried to get into it but, other than the fact that Carl sang well, it's got nothing for me. The "Getcha Back"/"Male Ego"45 is all I ever feel like playing once in a while. No offense to those who do like it, but I just don't like the sound or the feel.
Paulos
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »

The last greatest Beach Boys song? That's Why God Made The Radio.
Nicko1234
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 01:38:24 AM »

I would agree with those who say Til I Die.

A song like Sail on Sailor even, in its recorded form, isn`t an absolute classic imo.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 02:11:27 AM »

this live rendition of summer in paradise minus the lead guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avqh4xukkuo

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 04:26:46 AM »

Goin' On

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 05:18:05 AM »

Goin' On

I'll have to jump on the Goin' On bandwagon also. If I want a Beach Boys tune that's absolutely going to get me grinning, this is the one I reach for. I don't tend to venture much further beyond this in the catalogue.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:39 AM »

Does "Goin' On" remind anyone else of Queen? That's not a bad thing, but it was a connection I made the first time I heard the song.
sheknowsmetoowell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 06:52:55 AM »

That's Why God Made The Radio.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »

I think their last great song was "Good Timin'". It just had the feeling. It didn't feel forced or contrived, and the reasoning for that might be the fact that it was written and partially recorded around 1974, which I feel was still a time when all of Brian's compositions that we have heard still had that special thing to them, which is somewhat missing from 15 Big Ones and on.

However, "Goin' On" is a nice little thing too. But I wouldn't say it's great. "Getcha Back" is a cool retro single, but not great, and none of Brian's songs from the 1985 album were really worth much. I also think "Kokomo" was indeed a good song, but its not up to that classic level. So yeah, "Good Timin'" it is.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »

I wonder if I need to change my vote.  While I love "Baby Blue," and feel it's the last epic Beach Boys song, and the most moving of the late period Boys' output, I do love "Where I Belong," "Passing Friend" and "It's Getting Late." Are they great? Or do I just like the songs? That's the question. Trying to be objective is a pain in the ass.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »

I'm going to say "Only With You" from CATP. That is insanely great. Every version I've heard just feel holy.

Though I also do like Goin' On and Good Timin' after that, about equally.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »

I'm going to say "Only With You" from CATP. That is insanely great. Every version I've heard just feel holy.

Though I also do like Goin' On and Good Timin' after that, about equally.

Only With You is from Holland.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »

You're right; I was confusing its placement with "Cuddle Up", which IS from CATP. Another great song, but I kinda consider it more a Dennis solo track than BB, so I didn't include it.

Thank you!
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

I agree with Goin' On.  I think it could have been better arranged/produced, but the song itself is pure Brian magic.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »

I actually like this live version of Goin On better than the one on KTSA>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obzB_8P1fcs&feature=related.

The last great Beach Boys song cannot postdate December 28, 1983, IMO.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »

I'd really tend to "That's Why God Made The Radio", before that "Somewhere Near Japan". Stellar vocal performance and who ever played guitar (maybe Ed Carter?)  did a nice job there.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »

I flippin' hate Goin' On. Always have. Horrid song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »

I think Where I Belong is insipid mid-80's MOR dreck. I'd rather listen to Christopher Cross or Peter Cetera even. There are better songs on Carl's solo albums, and those are both pretty awful as well.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »

As the heading says, "in your opinion".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 02:29:29 PM »

Spring Vacation

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

I will also go with Where I Belong.  Underrated because Carl was the writer, not Brian (and this comes from a Brian apologist). SNJ is very close.  Goin On is a could have been, I think the production is poor and hurts what could have been a great song. TWGMTR is very close for me and may get there as time goes.

Questions for AGD...what is the difference between a semi classic and an almost classic? How close is TWGMTR to making the list in your book?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »

Classic is one that makes you go "oh wow" first time you hear it, usually with the first few bars.

Semi-classic is one that doesn't do that immediately, but given time grows.

Almost classic is one that sounds great, but somehow just doesn't have that vital spark.

Or so I say.

"TWGMTR" is between almost & semi - it's a classic earworm, but doesn't quite tip me over the edge. "MAD", in contrast, made my mouth drop open even before the vocal came in: when it did my eyes fell out, and when Brian hit the chorus, I sh*t myself, died and went to heaven.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:00:21 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »

Classic is one that makes you go "oh wow" first time you hear it, usually with the first few bars.

Semi-classic is one that doesn't do that immediately, but given time grows.

Almost classic is one that sounds great, but somehow just doesn't have that vital spark.

Or so I say.

"TWGMTR" is between almost & semi - it's a classic earworm, but doesn't quite tip me over the edge. "MAD", in contrast, made my mouth drop open even before the vocal came in: when it did my eyes fell out, and when Brian hit the chorus, I sh*t myself, died and went to heaven.

well that certainly brings the scale into proper focus...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:06:55 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx